HTC ONE user thread

jegillis

Has anyone noticed the screen does an interesting contrast change when in direct sunlight. I saw it happen yesterday when I was outside photographing, when I put my hand over the proximity sensor, to see the phone better, the contrast changed the colors became a little more dull. When I removed my hand from the proximity sensor the colors became brighter, and the contrast was more dramatic. I had the phone at 50% brightness so it wasn't the brightness going up.

I thought it was interesting, and what probably lends to the phones readability in direct sunlight.

-Luis

When I had AT&T I had a Nokia Lumia 920 that did the same thing. I didn't notice this on my HTC One. I'll check it out when I go outside next! Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Has anyone noticed the screen does an interesting contrast change when in direct sunlight. I saw it happen yesterday when I was outside photographing, when I put my hand over the proximity sensor, to see the phone better, the contrast changed the colors became a little more dull. When I removed my hand from the proximity sensor the colors became brighter, and the contrast was more dramatic. I had the phone at 50% brightness so it wasn't the brightness going up.

I thought it was interesting, and what probably lends to the phones readability in direct sunlight.

-Luis

When I had AT&T I had a Nokia Lumia 920 that did the same thing. I didn't notice this on my HTC One. I'll check it out when I go outside next! Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

This may sound silly but was the auto brightness turned on? Some phones will show it is set in the middle with the auto checked. That means it is in auto and if it was turned off the phone would go to the middle setting.

J.

This may sound silly but was the auto brightness turned on? Some phones will show it is set in the middle with the auto checked. That means it is in auto and if it was turned off the phone would go to the middle setting.

J.

No I never have my phone on Auto-brightness.

-Luis

Has anyone had an issue with the camera where it doesn't orient correctly? My phone is generally pretty snappy with reorienting between portrait and landscape as appropriate, but it seems like sometimes the camera gets stuck on the wrong one.

Has anyone had an issue with the camera where it doesn't orient correctly? My phone is generally pretty snappy with reorienting between portrait and landscape as appropriate, but it seems like sometimes the camera gets stuck on the wrong one.

This used to happen on my EVOLTE, sometimes when you power up the camera and snap a picture too soon, the phone won't orient itself as fast. It's happened to me with the One as well. My advice wait at least one second, and see if the camera button is in the right orientation.

You can also edit and rotate your photos from within the Gallery, it's a bit of a hassle, but at least it helps solve the problem :P

-Luis

• Like 1

This used to happen on my EVOLTE, sometimes when you power up the camera and snap a picture too soon, the phone won't orient itself as fast. It's happened to me with the One as well. My advice wait at least one second, and see if the camera button is in the right orientation.

You can also edit and rotate your photos from within the Gallery, it's a bit of a hassle, but at least it helps solve the problem :P

Nope, waiting a second or quite a few seconds does not resolve it. Touching the screen (someplace other than the shutter button) does reorient it, though. Still, that's not great.

I do edit and rotate my photos--not a big deal--but I have yet to find a way to rotate a whole Zoe. Which kind of ruins the whole highlight reel.

Nope, waiting a second or quite a few seconds does not resolve it. Touching the screen (someplace other than the shutter button) does reorient it, though. Still, that's not great.

I do edit and rotate my photos--not a big deal--but I have yet to find a way to rotate a whole Zoe. Which kind of ruins the whole highlight reel.

Oh yeah, that does sound like a problem. I honestly can't think of what it might be, I would say take it and have it checked out.

-Luis

Got the ONE over the weekend. Love it so far except. I only have 3G signal where I work and the ONE can not keep hold of the 3G signal inside the building. If I go outside I have no issues. The bad thing about this is that my old HTC EVO 4G held a signal in the building. The LTE works great at my house. Anyone have any ideas. Hope I don't have to return it. 2 other people at work have sprint and can keep a signal (galaxy nexus and older blackberry).

Got the ONE over the weekend. Love it so far except. I only have 3G signal where I work and the ONE can not keep hold of the 3G signal inside the building. If I go outside I have no issues. The bad thing about this is that my old HTC EVO 4G held a signal in the building. The LTE works great at my house. Anyone have any ideas. Hope I don't have to return it. 2 other people at work have sprint and can keep a signal (galaxy nexus and older blackberry).

Did you perform a PRL and Profile update?

Old HTC EVO, not the EVO 4G LTE, correct? If so, those are different technologies. You'll need to look at your RSRP values to see what you are getting before you enter the building. Sounds like you might be on the fringe of an LTE signal and once you go inside, it is lost.

Old HTC EVO, not the EVO 4G LTE, correct? If so, those are different technologies. You'll need to look at your RSRP values to see what you are getting before you enter the building. Sounds like you might be on the fringe of an LTE signal and once you go inside, it is lost.

Pretty sure he's talking about 3G inside the building.

Not sure what to tell you here. I got rid of my OG EVO two years ago, so I can't compare the two. My ONE works great for me, holding a 3G signal where my GS3 doesn't.

yes it is an old EVO and no LTE in Frederick,MD yet. Just trying to keep the 3G signal i have outside when I go into the building.

Did you perform a PRL and Profile update?

I just performed a PRL and Profile update. I am home now, will see if it makes a difference tomorrow when i get to work.

Thanks

The HTC One seems to have a really hard time acquiring 4G and holding on to it compared to the GS4 in my area. I've done the PRL update and Profile update and hard reset, but it's just been a frustrating experience. My tower does not broadcast 4G but I can get 500kbps most of the time on just 1 bar of signal. If I go where I know there is 4G, the 3G barely works at all even with strong reception. I am talking maybe a spotty 75kbps at most. My phone will not pick up 4G even in a strong signal area unless I am completely stationary for a few minutes. Once the phone picks up the 4G signal I have gotten 15mbps on speed tests, but once that 4G signal is gone it won't come back.

There are many others online complaining of issues like this, at XDA and elsewhere. I am really hoping some kind of radio update comes out for this phone and soon. I have it in a plastic case so there is no issue of me holding it wrong.

I just performed a PRL and Profile update. I am home now, will see if it makes a difference tomorrow when i get to work.

Thanks

Just got to work and came in the building and no signal. I guess the update did not make a difference. Again, i only have 3G coverage in this area and other sprint users and my old EVO can connect in the building but not my new ONE. Frustrating

I've been reading more and more reports about the HTC One not being as great as holding on to a 4g signal as other phones. I know there will be some variance between phones, but this is starting to remind me of the Evo 4g LTE. I wanted to get this phone for my dad to replace his Evo Shift and take advantage of the trade-in offer, but I don't want him to have any issues, especially regarding signal. For that he can keep his current phone. Is the jury still out on whether this is an issue or not? How is the 3g performance - similar to the Evo in that regard?

Folks, please keep your HTC One use discussion here. Do not start needless new threads.

Thanks...

AJ

Folks, please keep your HTC One use discussion here. Do not start needless new threads.

Thanks...

AJ

Sorry, I didn't want to derail the discussion here since it's about a bit of everything with the phone and I had a specific question. Edited by Jaggrey

I've been reading more and more reports about the HTC One not being as great as holding on to a 4g signal as other phones. I know there will be some variance between phones, but this is starting to remind me of the Evo 4g LTE. I wanted to get this phone for my dad to replace his Evo Shift and take advantage of the trade-in offer, but I don't want him to have any issues, especially regarding signal. For that he can keep his current phone. Is the jury still out on whether this is an issue or not? How is the 3g performance - similar to the Evo in that regard?

You can read what I said a page or two back. I bought the htc one on release day, a week later I also bought the gs4(which I ended up returning a few days later). Now compared to the evo lte the htc one is light years ahead of it as far as 4g connectivity, I have tested this extensively over the last 3 weeks and its as clear as day. Now some may say differently when it comes to 3g(cough digiblur cough) but my evo lte performed exceptionally well when it came to 3g performance and the htc one is even better especially with the dual antenna setup.

Now some may say differently when it comes to 3g(cough digiblur cough) but my evo lte performed exceptionally well when it came to 3g performance and the htc one is even better especially with the dual antenna setup.

Muffinman, I value your feedback. I seem to be in a good 3G area and the ONE will not hold signal inside the building where my original EVO did. I looked on the sprint coverage maps and it shows strong 3G. I looked on sensorly and it shows strong 3G very close to my actual location. Is there a way to know if my antennas are working properly? Should I return it for a different ONE? I really want to keep this phone.

Thanks

Edited by Dilbert65

You can read what I said a page or two back. I bought the htc one on release day, a week later I also bought the gs4(which I ended up returning a few days later). Now compared to the evo lte the htc one is light years ahead of it as far as 4g connectivity, I have tested this extensively over the last 3 weeks and its as clear as day. Now some may say differently when it comes to 3g(cough digiblur cough) but my evo lte performed exceptionally well when it came to 3g performance and the htc one is even better especially with the dual antenna setup.

Yes I remember your findings and I appreciate them! I guess I'm just wondering if there's something to the other postings. I guess I'm being overly concerned since the phone isn't for me.

Muffinman, I value your feedback. I seem to be in a good 3G area and the ONE will not hold signal inside the building where my original EVO did. Is there a way to know if my antennas are working properly? Should I return it for a different ONE? I really want to keep this phone.

Thanks

Makes me wonder if certain runs of the phone are having more issues than others. Hardware versions, purchase locations, color... something!!

Sorry, I didn't want to derail the discussion here since it's about a bit of everything with the phone and I had a specific question.

That is quite alright. But specific questions should be posted here, too. Others likely have the same questions as you do, and posting them here makes for easier research in one thread.

AJ

Muffinman, I value your feedback. I seem to be in a good 3G area and the ONE will not hold signal inside the building where my original EVO did. I looked on the sprint coverage maps and it shows strong 3G. I looked on sensorly and it shows strong 3G very close to my actual location. Is there a way to know if my antennas are working properly? Should I return it for a different ONE? I really want to keep this phone.

Thanks

If you really believe that something may be wrong with the device then by all means try to swap it out. All I can say is that when it comes to RF performance my evo 3d performed better than my OG Evo when it came to 3g(not by much), my evo lte definitely performed better than my evo 3d and my One defintely performs better than my evo lte in every way. But again I can only speak for myself based on what I have experience over the last few years and of course individual miles will vary. Now being that I live in atlanta and I don't live in the sticks, I usually have full bars where ever I go but when I travel to the Virgin Islands for work, there are dead spots all over because of the terrain in addition to significant drops in signal strength when I walk into any building. So its pretty easy for me to determine how a phone will handle, thats how I figured out that the gnex was total garbage in the RF department(at least for 3g).

Yes I remember your findings and I appreciate them! I guess I'm just wondering if there's something to the other postings. I guess I'm being overly concerned since the phone isn't for me.

Makes me wonder if certain runs of the phone are having more issues than others. Hardware versions, purchase locations, color... something!!

I say go for it, and if for whatever reason your dad doesn't like it, you could always exchange it for something else. But for the most part, I have no complaints other than the arrangements of the capacitive buttons.

What I am seeing with the One is not bad reception, but the fact that it will not switch to 4G as easily as other phones. When it's on 4G it's great, but once it goes back to 3G it takes forever to switch back to 4G. It seems like there is a threshold in the phone where it prefers 3G if it's slightly stronger than 4G, even though 4G would be the better choice.

I might experiment with putting the One into LTE only. If I can get 4G while driving with it set that way, then I know for sure it is a software issue that needs fixing and not the network.