T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

They're advertising that they are faster than AT&T LTE as well. Doesn't TMO run 5x5 in some markets?

Yes, but AT&T also runs 5x5 in some markets too. The only company that has at least one 10x10 everywhere they have LTE is Verizon. And their 10x10 is bogging down in many places.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

What's odd is that they still don't provide coverage maps for their LTE network. It's funny though because they are probably leveraging their HSPA+ 4G indicator on phones so people don't really recognize when they are/aren't on LTE. As far as they know, T-Mobile has 4G in their city, and LTE is 4G, so that constant 4G icon on their device must mean something, right?

What's odd is that they still don't provide coverage maps for their LTE network. It's funny though because they are probably leveraging their HSPA+ 4G indicator on phones so people don't really recognize when they are/aren't on LTE. As far as they know, T-Mobile has 4G in their city, and LTE is 4G, so that constant 4G icon on their device must mean something, right?

I don't know how it is with all Tmo devices, but on my Nexus 4 I have a 4G icon for LTE and a H icon for HSPA+.

I don't know how it is with all Tmo devices, but on my Nexus 4 I have a 4G icon for LTE and a H icon for HSPA+.

On HSPA+/LTE skinned Android devices, it says 4G for both technologies albeit in a different font. But I would think most wouldn't necessarily notice the switch by themselves unless they are looking for it, whereas my Aunt who is on Sprint called me wondering what her phone did because she saw hers change from 3G to 4G.

Yep, it's legit. I can verify the Albuquerque listing. I use Tmo LTE there in about 60% of the metro area. The indoor coverage is atrocious still, but LTE is no panacea for reception just speed.Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

As u all know I used to slam T-Mobiles indoor penetration all the time here on the westside of chicago but I can honestly say that's changed. The indoor lte signal is wicked even in basement's and I'm lovin this prepaid 70$ unlimited everything. Posted Image

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

As u all know I used to slam T-Mobiles indoor penetration all the time here on the westside of chicago but I can honestly say that's changed. The indoor lte signal is wicked even in basement's and I'm lovin this prepaid 70$ unlimited everything.

How long has it been since you used Tmo?  Because I can tell you that here in Albuquerque, it is not better indoors on Tmo LTE over Tmo HSPA+.  In fact, it's worse.  But that's to be expected as LTE requires more signal to be usable than HSPA+.

Robert

Guest sectime

On HSPA+/LTE skinned Android devices, it says 4G for both technologies albeit in a different font. But I would think most wouldn't necessarily notice the switch by themselves unless they are looking for it, whereas my Aunt who is on Sprint called me wondering what her phone did because she saw hers change from 3G to 4G.

Stopped at a Tmobile kiosk in the mall, iPhone, S4 had LTE showing on signal bar

Edited by sectime

Stopped at a Tmobile kiosk in the mall, iPhone, S4 had LTE showing on signal bar

Weird, I coukdve sworn that they had a bigger 4G in a different font is all.

I guess I was wrong, sorry!

T-Mobile US (NYSE:TMUS) CEO John Legere hinted at a new prepaid offering from the company, called Apollo 15, that will target Leap Wireless' (NASDAQ:LEAP) Cricket-branded prepaid customer base. In addition, he said he is 'intrigued' by Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH) Chairman Charlie Ergen's vision of combining the company with a wireless carrier, but added that the two companies aren't talking.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Legere said that the company isn't looking to buy Leap but will instead go after the company's customers with a new prepaid offering. "The best way to think about Apollo 15 is T-Mobile network, T-Mobile devices, Leap customers," Legere said, according to the WSJ.

Read more: T-Mobile CEO hints at new prepaid plan, says he's 'intrigued' by Dish's vision - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobile-ceo-hints-new-prepaid-plan-says-hes-intrigued-dishs-vision/2013-07-12#ixzz2Yqiyf6Bx 

I guess he wants Softbank to hurry up and offer because he's about to start flirting with Dish.

How long has it been since you used Tmo? Because I can tell you that here in Albuquerque, it is not better indoors on Tmo LTE over Tmo HSPA+. In fact, it's worse. But that's to be expected as LTE requires more signal to be usable than HSPA+.

Robert

Its been a lil while since now but I can tell u that things changed for sure.

Really?  Maybe I'm blindly optimistic in my assessment of the conversation.  I interpreted John's "Yes they are" statement to mean he acknowledges Sprint is overhauling their entire network in 2-1/2 years...and that's an admirable feat.

He did make reference that if it's not done by 2016, he expects you to come to T-Mobile.  And that's fair.  If Sprint can't get Network Vision done in the next 2-1/2 years, we all should hold them accountable and perhaps become Tmo customers.  That's a fair criticism of the competition, I think.

All in all, I rate that as a fair exchange.  The onus is on Sprint now.  And under SoftBank, I think the next few years should be concerning for Tmo.  Because Sprint is going to kick it.  The media is already starting to cover Sprint more and more fairly about the future and possibilities.  The new "Sprint Corporation" just needs to deliver.

Robert

NV not done by 2016? It's public knowledge Sprint will have 250 mil with LTE next year so I don't think that's what he meant.

I think he was answering AJ's point: TMO won't have broad 3g/4g at all its sites until 2016, which jives with your statement that even if TMO starts TODAY with backhaul to rural sites, it'll be 2-3 years.

Tmo is just adding LTE panels to their existing high speed/high backhauled HSPA+ network.  If they couldn't do plug and play quickly, that would be a problem.  Now let's see how fast Tmo can add LTE to its virgin EDGE network with no backhaul.  That would be an apples to apples comparison to Sprint Network Vision.  I bet it takes Tmo longer to do that for their 15,000 EDGE/GPRS sites than Sprint did will with their 38,000.  In fact, they already lost.  The clock started ticking on those sites back in 2011.

Robert

Edited by hxnk134

T-Mobile US (NYSE:TMUS) CEO John Legere hinted at a new prepaid offering from the company, called Apollo 15, that will target Leap Wireless' (NASDAQ:LEAP) Cricket-branded prepaid customer base. In addition, he said he is 'intrigued' by Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH) Chairman Charlie Ergen's vision of combining the company with a wireless carrier, but added that the two companies aren't talking.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Legere said that the company isn't looking to buy Leap but will instead go after the company's customers with a new prepaid offering. "The best way to think about Apollo 15 is T-Mobile network, T-Mobile devices, Leap customers," Legere said, according to the WSJ.

Read more: T-Mobile CEO hints at new prepaid plan, says he's 'intrigued' by Dish's vision - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobile-ceo-hints-new-prepaid-plan-says-hes-intrigued-dishs-vision/2013-07-12#ixzz2Yqiyf6Bx 

I guess he wants Softbank to hurry up and offer because he's about to start flirting with Dish.

I don't think so. The current regulatory climate is not conducive to reducing the number of national players. If TMO were hemorrhaging customers, I could see it, but it's actually adding a small number plus expanding LTE.

Furthermore, there's the problem of networks. I think that NV COULD handle consolidating all those HSPA+ sites onto Sprint's sites but if it can't, there's no savings to be had from merging other than reduced competition at the low-end.

But this is all a guess. I vaguely remember Hesse saying that if a non-LTE/non-CDMA customer would want a hosting agreement, he'd charge extra but I'm not sure WHY exactly i.e. is it because the current NV base-stations are optimized for CDMA and LTE or simply because introducing a different ?air interface? would require more computational overhead in the basestations that wouldn't be able to be handled by the ones available at the towers today.

Read more: T-Mobile CEO hints at new prepaid plan, says he's 'intrigued' by Dish's vision - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobile-ceo-hints-new-prepaid-plan-says-hes-intrigued-dishs-vision/2013-07-12#ixzz2Yr51ULTn 

It's brass balled for John to defend T-Mobile like that, and no doubt, they've moved faster than I thought they would on LTE. That said, it's time to get some upgrades to rural areas.  I have nothing against T-Mobile, and in cities they've improved 100%, but their rural network is still hot garbage. 

As S4GRU said, they're a urban carrier. That's all DT will let them upgrade quickly. Though @john_legere's tweet to AJ might indicate they plan on upgrading rural by 2016.

And how about T-Mobile using Verizon's A Block during the press event in NYC, boosting the indoor network to 2x10Mhz, while on the streets of NYC you get sub 30Mbps on an unloaded network?!

7uGDCGIl.png

John Legere tweeting himself 67Mbps at the event: https://twitter.com/john_legere/status/354971407375011841

How deceiving is that!

How can you see that TMO is using Verizon's A-block? I do see they're using 10 MHz for DL.

As S4GRU said, they're a urban carrier. That's all DT will let them upgrade quickly. Though @john_legere's tweet to AJ might indicate they plan on upgrading rural by 2016.

I have a different take on Legere's response:  "yes they are.... The next 2.5 years ... See you in 2016"

He is making another potshot against Sprint, insinuating that the 2.5 year Network Vision initiative will extend into the next 2.5 years.  For that reason, I am already finished engaging Legere (or his social media lackey).  He and his "rock star" CTO are filled with bravado but not much substance.

AJ

• Like 3

How can you see that TMO is using Verizon's A-block? I do see they're using 10 MHz for DL.

The downlink EARFCN 2000 converts to a center frequency of 2115 MHz, which is smack dab in the middle of the AWS A block 20 MHz license.

AJ

• Like 1

I have a different take on Legere's response:  "yes they are.... The next 2.5 years ... See you in 2016"

He is making another potshot against Sprint, insinuating that the 2.5 year Network Vision initiative will extend into the next 2.5 years.  For that reason, I am already finished engaging Legere (or his social media lackey).  He and his "rock star" CTO are filled with bravado but not much substance.

AJ

Exactly what I took out of this. It seemed pretty obvious he was implying it will take 2.5 years from NOW for Sprint to complete since they consistently "miss deadlines".

• Like 1

Does Charlie introduce himself as "Ben Dover"?

:P

AJ

• Like 3

The downlink EARFCN 2000 converts to a center frequency of 2115 MHz, which is smack dab in the middle of the AWS A block 20 MHz license.

AJ

Exactly. A few tech journalists are talking to Verizon about this. It's already been escalated to Verizon's engineering team. I can't wait to hear more about this.

If Verizon never knew about this, this could be subject to huge FCC sanctions, and a serious federal offense.

• Like 1

Exactly. A few tech journalists are talking to Verizon about this. It's already been escalated to Verizon's engineering team. I can't wait to hear more about this.

If Verizon never knew about this, this could be subject to huge FCC sanctions, and a serious federal offense.

Oh crap really? This will be very interesting!  :popcorn:

• Like 4