TMO: 

50 + 30 + 10 = 90 for plan

20 + 20 + 5 = 45 for the phones

Total: $135

Sprint:

Everything Data Family 1500

$170

Too big of a difference.

Is it possible Sprint will give me a discount if I call and say "I'll pick you over Tmobile if you give me $20 discount"?

You are comparing Sprint's unlimited data plan to Tmobile's  500Mb data plan. 

If you want to compare unlimited data, then you need to add 20 to both iPhone plans. 

If you only need 500Mb, then Tmobile is the better deal. 

You are comparing Sprint's unlimited data plan to Tmobile's 500Mb data plan.

If you want to compare unlimited data, then you need to add 20 to both iPhone plans.

If you only need 500Mb, then Tmobile is the better deal.

500mb full speed but unlimited 160kbps internet which may be faster than legacy Sprint 3G depending on your area.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

500mb full speed but unlimited 160kbps internet which may be faster than legacy Sprint 3G depending on your area.

If that is still the case for Sprint, it will not be for long.

As for T-Mobile, something that has bugged me is the throttling policy.  Does it keep you on W-CDMA but throttle you to "2G" speeds?  Or does it throttle you by bumping your data access down to GSM?

AJ

If that is still the case for Sprint, it will not be for long.

As for T-Mobile, something that has bugged me is the throttling policy. Does it keep you on W-CDMA but throttle you to "2G" speeds? Or does it throttle you by bumping your data access down to GSM?

AJ

Former.

Former.

As you are fond of asking, are you sure?

If so, then T-Mobile's terminology is poor.  This generic "2G," "3G," "4G" crap needs to stop.  State it just as lynyrd did:  up to 160 kbps.

AJ

As you are fond of asking, are you sure?

If so, then T-Mobile's terminology is poor. This generic "2G," "3G," "4G" crap needs to stop. State it just as lynyrd did: up to 160 kbps.

AJ

According to TMO's Metro merger slides, it's pairing down GSM to 5x5, keeping it for M2M and voice-only customers (like my mom on GoSmart for $30). If it were to drop smartphones to GSM upon breaching a data limit, TMO would destroy its GSM network.

Another note to keep in mind with sprints "1500 min" is that with the any mobile feature, the number of minutes used for most people drops drastically.   It won't for everyone, but I typically see <5% of my minutes used that are not in the unlimited buckets.

• Like 3

Did they boost the throttle speeds? When I was a Tmo customers, it was 60kbps, but that was some time ago. 

Did they boost the throttle speeds? When I was a Tmo customers, it was 60kbps, but that was some time ago.

It's still about 60kbps.

I've heard rumors that this may vary by market, but I've been all over the midwest, and never seen it above 60k. My experience was identical to this guy's video -

lynyrd65 might be confusing the throttle speed with "2G" EDGE speeds (which are often around 120-130k). T-Mobile claims to bump you down to "2G speeds" but really they mean "half of EDGE speed".

It also is only on the backhaul side, T-Mobile never jumps you "down to 2G" or "up to 3G". You always connect to the best/fastest air interface available, regardless of whether your throttled or not. This means, if you use up all of your data allotment, you will still be connected to HSPA+ or LTE and getting 60k-ish speeds.

Considering a single Netflix movie or a few hours of Facebook/Youtube would blow through 500mb of data, what benefit would they be? At that point I might as well be paying the extra money and staying with Sprint,etc. 

Considering a single Netflix movie or a few hours of Facebook/Youtube would blow through 500mb of data, what benefit would they be? At that point I might as well be paying the extra money and staying with Sprint,etc.

If you're not on a budget, sure.

Otherwise, you sacrifice. Though I don't see this as such a big sacrifice.

With its cut rate plans, financed devices, low down payments, limited coverage, and MetroPCS merger, T-Mobile may steal away from Sprint the label of the network operator for urban poor people.  Honestly, that would be a positive for Sprint's image.

I say that half jokingly, half seriously.

AJ

• Like 2

Yes, but the droves of people who don't know how to read will sign up for it.

I honestly can respect T-Mo for putting in Ethernet to their urban sites long before the rest of the country did, really shows when you look at their HSPA coverage. They have a leg up that Sprint doesn't, in that regard. Unfortunately, price plans like that kill any chance of someone like myself signing up for them. 

I just have not been sold on it.

With its cut rate plans, financed devices, low down payments, limited coverage, and MetroPCS merger, T-Mobile may steal away from Sprint the label of the network operator for urban poor people.  Honestly, that would be a positive for Sprint's image.

I say that half jokingly, half seriously.

AJ

Thank god we have Boost for that.

Not my market (NYC, largest in the country).

Patience grasshopper! They need to have stores in your area before they will offer service. 

I will sign up 3 lines with them that are now on AT&T.

Edited by bigsnake49

Patience grasshopper! They need to have stores in your area before they will offer service. 

I will sign up 3 lines with them that are now on AT&T.

LOL...trust me, I wouldn't switch, just saying.

LOL...trust me, I wouldn't switch, just saying.

It is OK for me, my wife and my son, since we rarely go over 2GB. My daughter can go for the $70/7GB plan since she likes to stream.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/10/4510570/t-mobile-to-introduce-jump-unlimited-phone-upgrade-plan

"The Verge has learned that T-Mobile will introduce an unlimited phone upgrade scheme today called Jump that would allow subscribers to "upgrade when [they] actually want to" by paying the same amount for a new phone that a new customer pays, as often as they like without waiting a certain number of months or years to qualify for upgrade pricing. Rumors that such a plan might be introduced were first reported first by TmoNews, which suggests a monthly fee may be involved and that subscribers would need to trade in their current handset to qualify."

This seems like a really great way for T-Mobile to lure in the smartphone power users especially when combined with their pricing model. Now that I am on a Sprint MVNO I definitely see the lure of avoiding 2 year contracts and this would be appealing even to me if it wasn't for T-Mobile's swiss cheese coverage where I live. That said I am really excited for the changes this could bring to the mobile market here in the US. We've been hamstrung by high prices and contracts for far too long.

But, under T-Mobile's latest strategy, new subs pay unsubsidized prices for their devices.  So, what is the allure of "new customer" prices?

Honestly, it sounds like T-Mobile is already hedging its bet on eliminating subsidies.

AJ

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/10/4510570/t-mobile-to-introduce-jump-unlimited-phone-upgrade-plan

"The Verge has learned that T-Mobile will introduce an unlimited phone upgrade scheme today called Jump that would allow subscribers to "upgrade when [they] actually want to" by paying the same amount for a new phone that a new customer pays, as often as they like without waiting a certain number of months or years to qualify for upgrade pricing. Rumors that such a plan might be introduced were first reported first by TmoNews, which suggests a monthly fee may be involved and that subscribers would need to trade in their current handset to qualify."

This seems like a really great way for T-Mobile to lure in the smartphone power users especially when combined with their pricing model. Now that I am on a Sprint MVNO I definitely see the lure of avoiding 2 year contracts and this would be appealing even to me if it wasn't for T-Mobile's swiss cheese coverage where I live. That said I am really excited for the changes this could bring to the mobile market here in the US. We've been hamstrung by high prices and contracts for far too long.

Now this is a good idea. I'd be interested in something like this. If this catches steam, I could see Sprint adding this if it worked out.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

But, under T-Mobile's latest strategy, new subs pay unsubsidized prices for their devices.  So, what is the allure of "new customer" prices?

Honestly, it sounds like T-Mobile is already hedging its bet on eliminating subsidies.

AJ

I'd wait for the details (2:30PM ET today). Would I consider a $2-$5/mo charge for anytime upgrades provided I didn't have to pay off the 'balance' (ETF by another name) of my current phone? Absolutely. It will be interesting to see how much they charge for this.

• Like 1

How is this new. When you are paying for the phone out right under no contact. I don't see how this is so wonderful. Oh by the way TMobile marks up by at least $50 on msrp. If I see a new phone that comes out on Sprint, I'll just go and buy it sans contact - the price I get for my trade in. Do that anytime I want.

Now this is a good idea. I'd be interested in something like this. If this catches steam, I could see Sprint adding this if it worked out. 

The board of directors of the Robert M. Herron Museum of Modern Cellphones might have something to say about you potentially trading in your old handsets.

AJ

The board of directors of the Robert M. Herron Museum of Modern Cellphones might have something to say about you potentially trading in your old handsets.

AJ

And that is indeed the downside of such a plan. But my wife would think that's a very good idea. ;)

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1