T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

I guess we can all say that duffess has made it easy for himself to be prosecuted for criminal trespass at a cell site by posting a video of it on YouTube. You are right about him deserving to get burned. Bad part about it is he is a ham radio operator who is to nosey for his own good.

NSFW... how not to do a cell site video. Dumbass deserved the RF burn. :lol:

What a douche. I love how he is freaking out about RRU's that are designed to be outdoors are in the weather. He has the sense of most of our trolls.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

Also, to be clear, Sprint has a little over 39k CDMA sites (growing slightly on a monthly basis), not 38k.

I'm just a bit taken aback by the number of T-Mobile sites that will be sitting on AWS HSPA+ or worse for the foreseeable future. 14k sites...some of which are doubtless deployed for capacity and not just coverage. It's not immediately clear how many of those 14k still have H+, and aren't going LTE due to lack of AWS spectrum, and how many are EDGE or worse with no recourse.

If TMO upgrades its rural sites to "only" AWS HSPA+21, I'll consider that MISSION ACCOMPLISHED lol.

Does TMO really only have 10 MHz AWS and 10 MHz PCS in its most rural sites? I can't browse the FCC database right now but this site

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=99&p=1495

seems to indicate that TMO has at least 20 MHz of AWS everywhere, enough for HSPA+ and LTE.

• Like 1

Remember that MetroPCS was for the longest time (still is in some cases I think) 1x + LTE, not 1x + EvDo + LTE. They don't have much spectrum to work with.

Was MetroPCS leasing EvDo from Sprint/Verizon then?  They advertised it everywhere I saw them

In the TMO-Metro slides (above couple posts), it says 60-65% of metro subs get net phone every year.

That means that each year, 35-40% don't so assuming a bunch of stuff, that means that after 2.5 years - when Legere said they're shutting down CDMA -there will be:

[.35, .4]^2.5 = [7.2, 10.1]% of Metro subs (as of June 2013) who will still be on a CDMA phone.

This assumes that TMO doesn't do anything, in terms of advertising, to push HSPA+ phones which is not the case.

Has anyone else noticed that T-Mobile's upload speeds are relatively high? My Sprint upload speeds at it's highest are about 9Mbps, whereas I regularly see on T-Mobile upload speeds of 12Mbps on a 5x5 network.

Just wondering.

Has anyone else noticed that T-Mobile's upload speeds are relatively high? My Sprint upload speeds at it's highest are about 9Mbps, whereas I regularly see on T-Mobile upload speeds of 12Mbps on a 5x5 network.

Just wondering.

TMO just launched LTE so not surprising. We'll see what a year of adding unlimited users does.
  • Like 1

Over on the Howard Forums I saw a link to this article posted:

http://www.wiwavelength.com/2013/07/a-taste-of-t-mobile-lte-bandwidth.html?m=1

by our very own AJ. And I guess it goes accordingly in this thread since it is about T-Mobile? 

I'm waiting anxiously on the Miami breakdown...

Good news.  We now have a publisher lined up.  And, like New York, Miami is one of the handful of markets that we decided worthy of a detailed dissection.

AJ

• Like 5

Your direct link does not work.  But since I created the map that prompted the GigaOM article, I probably have copyright permission to submit a link to another copy:

http://i43.tinypic.com/muxv6w.png

AJ

TMO just launched LTE so not surprising. We'll see what a year of adding unlimited users does.

With double the capacity and less customers than the other 3 I don't see unlimited data taking any effect on the speeds.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

Another thing I HATE about Tmobile: they won't show you on the map LTE vs HSPA+ vs 3G. They force you to zoom in ALL the way, click on a location and THEN they'll tell you what it is.

Everyone knows TMO's coverage sucks do why are they trying so hard to obfuscate it?

Edited by asdf190

Another thing I HATE about Tmobile: they won't show you on the map LTE vs HSPA+ vs 3G. They force you to zoom in ALL the way, click on a location and THEN they'll tell you what it is. Everyone knows TMO's coverage sucks do why are they trying so hard to obfuscate it?

All carriers do things like this.

Look at Sprint site, roaming/non-roaming colours are green and slightly less green.

This is done on purpose. They should use green for native and any other colour for roaming, not green.

All carriers do things like this.

Look at Sprint site, roaming/non-roaming colours are green and slightly less green.

This is done on purpose. They should use green for native and any other colour for roaming, not green.

At least they give you a color for LTE. TMO colors any 3G, HSPA+, LTE shades of green depending on signal strength.

Not the same thing.

At least they give you a color for LTE. TMO colors any 3G, HSPA+, LTE shades of green depending on signal strength.

Not the same thing.

He didn't say they were the same thing. He said all carriers try to obfuscate something to their convenience and then he provided you an example of Sprint...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Another thing I HATE about Tmobile: they won't show you on the map LTE vs HSPA+ vs 3G. They force you to zoom in ALL the way, click on a location and THEN they'll tell you what it is.Everyone knows TMO's coverage sucks do why are they trying so hard to obfuscate it?

I agree it sucks they don't differentiate between HSPA+ and LTE.

However, about T-Mobile's coverage sucking, are you referring to the usual rural coverage they always get hammered on, or their urban? I ask because I'm always told by my friends with T-Mobile that they have excellent coverage throughout the city and although it's an incredibly small sample size, I have confirmed they have excellent signal and speeds in places I struggle to pull a simple text-based website on Sprint.

I agree it sucks they don't differentiate between HSPA+ and LTE.

However, about T-Mobile's coverage sucking, are you referring to the usual rural coverage they always get hammered on, or their urban? I ask because I'm always told by my friends with T-Mobile that they have excellent coverage throughout the city and although it's an incredibly small sample size, I have confirmed they have excellent signal and speeds in places I struggle to pull a simple text-based website on Sprint.

I don't have Tmobile (yet) but on this thread, AJ and some other people gave examples of in city coverage that TMO lacks.

He didn't say they were the same thing. He said all carriers try to obfuscate something to their convenience and then he provided you an example of Sprint...

I agree but my point is that TMO takes the obfuscation to a whole new level: it forces you to zoom in, all the way, and click on a point to learn if that point gets LTE.
  • Like 2

I agree but my point is that TMO takes the obfuscation to a whole new level: it forces you to zoom in, all the way, and click on a point to learn if that point gets LTE.

Agree. It's incredibly annoying! Probably to be able to call 4G both HSPA+ and LTE.

• Like 1

There's still some remote cities where clicking pops up 3G, indicating it's below HSPA+21.

What does it take to go from H+: 7.2, 14.4, 21?

Is it a pure software update?

That usually has more to do with backhaul.

There's still some remote cities where clicking pops up 3G, indicating it's below HSPA+21.

What does it take to go from H+: 7.2, 14.4, 21?

Is it a pure software update?

You need the spectrum and the backhaul.