T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

Correct... voice over LTE required

Sent from my Galaxy S5 on the Sprint Network

So in other words, anywhere outside of dense areas where LTE is prevalent, your call will drop.

Ok thanks!

• Like 2

Which means you can forget walking out of a building and have handoff work, because TMO almost never has LTE coverage inside a building. It's going to be a race to see if the phone can connect to LTE when you step outside before it loses connection to wifi. :)

So in other words, anywhere outside of dense areas where LTE is prevalent, your call will drop.

Ok thanks!

But, but, but band 12 LTE 700 will solve that problem -- just not in many markets and not on iPhone 6.

;)

AJ

• Like 9

Much better than other aging WiFi Calling solutions recently deployed in the US, where often times your calls flat out drop within your WiFi coverage area...

Often times? I had never even heard of such an issue. Is it really that widespread of a problem?

Often times? I had never even heard of such an issue. Is it really that widespread of a problem?

There is a thread in this forum discussing pros and cons of WiFi Calls. It mimics the old T-Mobile VoWiFi issues before the IMS update.

Much better than other aging WiFi Calling solutions recently deployed in the US, where often times your calls flat out drop within your WiFi coverage area...

I like their WiFI calling solution.  It is much better than their past iterations.  And the handoff to VoLTE both ways is a great feature.  To be the first to market with that is innovative.  I will give them credit for that.  And I would like for Sprint to have the same feature in their VoLTE network.

Perhaps this will be a catalyst to get Sprint to take a more aggressive VoLTE strategy.  I don't get any sense of urgency about VoLTE.  They are working on it.  But I get the feeling everyone is like...whenever.  Maybe this will get Marcelo's attention and they will spend more resources to push VoLTE as fast as it can be successfully implemented.

• Like 4

There is a thread in this forum discussing pros and cons of WiFi Calls. It mimics the old T-Mobile VoWiFi issues before the IMS update.

The "Wifi Calling Experiences" thread? If so, in skimming it I saw one person mention call drops within their wifi coverage area. In your mind that translates to "often times"?

• Like 2

I like their WiFI calling solution.  It is much better than their past iterations.  And the handoff to VoLTE both ways is a great feature.  To be the first to market with that is innovative.  I will give them credit for that.  And I would like for Sprint to have the same feature in their VoLTE network.

Perhaps this will be a catalyst to get Sprint to take a more aggressive VoLTE strategy.  I don't get any sense of urgency about VoLTE.  They are working on it.  But I get the feeling everyone is like...whenever.  Maybe this will get Marcelo's attention and they will spend more resources to push VoLTE as fast as it can be successfully implemented.

Now that Marcelo realizes the importance of going dense with 2.5GHz in urban environment, this is something they could absolutely implement. VoLTE launch on per market basis where LTE cell density permits is something they can consider sooner rather than later. And WiFi Calls -> VoLTE handoffs are definitely a win!

• Like 6

Personally, I'd much rather have those resources be going to just about outstanding site upgrades (GMOs, No NV activity, no LTE, no B26, etc) than VoLTE. That being said, I would very much like to see them show a little more hustle on VoLTE.

Personally, I'd much rather have those resources be going to just about outstanding site upgrades (GMOs, No NV activity, no LTE, no B26, etc) than VoLTE. That being said, I would very much like to see them show a little more hustle on VoLTE.

I think what Sprint has to do is focus on the holes with their network that affect the most people. Whether that's through finishing MV 1.0, getting B26 and B41, or adding smaller cells, that should be the network priority right now.

• Like 4

I think what Sprint has to do is focus on the holes with their network that affect the most people. Whether that's through finishing MV 1.0, getting B26 and B41, or adding smaller cells, that should be the network priority right now.

I am with you. B25 and B26 on former Nextel sites, thicken the network, let the urban environs get B41.

• Like 1

So its MV now? :P is that Masayoshi vision, or Marcelo vision? :lol:
  • Like 5

Yeah, Marcelo Vision.

I have two Samsung handsets, one PCS Vision, the other Power Vision.  Are those compatible with Marcelo Vision?

AJ

• Like 6

Ok thanks!

Volte on tmobile hands off to HSPA+ and its seamless. In 9 months the network will be majority lte anyway

The newest Airrave on Sprint does handoffs to native Sprint network. I know the wifi solution is better because it works anywhere with an existing wifi router, but it's not "something that has never been done" has John Legere would have us believe.

Volte on tmobile hands off to HSPA+ and its seamless. In 9 months the network will be majority lte anyway

But only VoLTE calls will hand off to Wi-Fi. So LTE dropping seamlessly to HSPA doesn't help you there. Also, even if T-Mobile gets LTE up and running across its entire network in 9 months, LTE doesn't have the same reach as HSPA which will still end up causing issues with handoffs. I agree they've done the best with what they have but it is not an ideal solution.

He's such a troll. 

I can't wait to get my iPhone and do b41 tests all over orlando. I might have to create a twitter account just so I can tweet Legere.

• Like 3

He's such a troll. 

I can't wait to get my iPhone and do b41 tests all over orlando. I might have to create a twitter account just so I can tweet Legere.

Can we have a pool on how quickly he blocks you?

• Like 8

Ok that's good to know. So their game plan is:

- offer customers an opportunity to replace their existing phones with new ones that support VoLTE

- roll out LTE throughout their existing HSPA footprint? Or also their EDGE footprint? (9 month statement?)

- VoWiFi -> VoLTE is smooth handoff, VoWiFi -> 3G/2G will drop the call?