T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

Ya coverage maps are absolutely atrocious. They don't help us subscribers, or T-Mobile. At all. 

I don't even know who invented the "rock star" term for Ray? Was it GigaOm or FierceWireless? Either way, it's stupid.

• Like 3

As far as density is concerned in Boston and the surrounding areas of Boston, T-Mobile has greater site density than Sprint.  However, in rural areas, T-Mobile is either EDGE or nothing while sprint tends to thin out but still have coverage.  Ultimately, you get rural enough and neither one have coverage (you need US Cellular, AT&T or Verizon to have coverage).

This has been my experience, at least in my neck of the woods.

As many have said - each carrier has its pros and cons.

Regardless, once Sprint fires up LTE on ESMR, Sprint's lack of coverage in areas that it provides service will be long gone.  I picked up channel 476 for a bit on my EVO 4G LTE and I gotta say, it was IMPRESSIVE.  I had a nice ~ 10dB pickup in coverage inside a 1935 solid masonry/concrete building with lowE glass.

T-Mobile must win 600MHz if they stand to have a chance.

• Like 1

I will say, in the boroughs of NYC (Queens in particular), T-Mobile has pretty good site density, and beats Sprint in quite a few places when you consider inbuilding coverage.

I will say, in the boroughs of NYC (Queens in particular), T-Mobile has pretty good site density, and beats Sprint in quite a few places when you consider inbuilding coverage.

I'd concur, site placement for T-Mobile seems to be better in Brooklyn. But that is by chance. The places I visit often, tend to have a T-Mobile site closer than a Sprint site so I drop down to 1 bar while the person with T-Mobile next to me has all bars because the cell site is across the street.

Would it be helpful to have that data? I can't get it everywhere, but I could prepare one for the Grand Rapids / West Michigan market, if anyone would find it useful. (I realize this is just one single market out of hundreds, and that both T-Mobile and Sprint are known to be weak here for historical reasons. But if it's helpful, I can break down the entire urban area down site-by-site for both carriers.)

Not really. We would need to see a nationwide map like we have with Sprint data to make it useful. I wouldn't want you to waste time on that. I do appreciate the offer though.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Not really. We would need to see a nationwide map like we have with Sprint data to make it useful. I wouldn't want you to waste time on that. I do appreciate the offer though.

Why can't you find that data the same way you "found" the sprint data?

Why can't you find that data the same way you "found" the sprint data?

Do you really have to ask this? I think it is plainly obvious that I do not have any Tmo sources.

I'm sure you know more how to look for one than rest of us.

I can't see the reason why anyone has to post TMobile info on a Sprint forum. I think your ego is trying to cash a bounce check.

• Like 1

Said the person replying to a thread titled "Tmobile LTE". So then let's delete this thread.

Oh, we will not delete it.  But the thread might go into hiding from non staff members.  So, take that as an admonition to behave.

AJ

Head on over to t4gru.com for that info.     ;)

Yeah, here is the direct link to T4GRU.com.

AJ

• Like 8

Slightly "off-topic" but the broadband maps on that site can be misleading in many places depending on how the provider supplies the government with their data.  My home, in particular, is a good example.  It shows I have DSL provided by CenturyLink (which I don't) and cable provided by Time Warner (which is not available either).   Some providers only give information on zip codes rather than down to specific street levels where they actually provide service.

Now, you can file a report on the website for your specific address and they will probably update the maps eventually but I think they only update the map like every 6 months or so.  And it's only for the address you report so if there's a large area around you that also doesn't have service I don't really know how accurately they would update it.

The wireless carriers would probably provide more accurate maps since they have their own coverage maps already but I haven't really checked.

Slightly "off-topic" but the broadband maps on that site can be misleading in many places depending on how the provider supplies the government with their data.  My home, in particular, is a good example.  It shows I have DSL provided by CenturyLink (which I don't) and cable provided by Time Warner (which is not available either).   Some providers only give information on zip codes rather than down to specific street levels where they actually provide service.

Now, you can file a report on the website for your specific address and they will probably update the maps eventually but I think they only update the map like every 6 months or so.  And it's only for the address you report so if there's a large area around you that also doesn't have service I don't really know how accurately they would update it.

The wireless carriers would probably provide more accurate maps since they have their own coverage maps already but I haven't really checked.

I use this in a general info standpoint. However, these maps are probably the least exaggerated of all when compared to standard carrier maps. They show the legitimate native coverage whereas a lot of carriers will blow their coverage way out of proportion.

• Like 1

Analysts say TMUS' recent quarter was a one-off, resulting mostly from cannibalization of prepaid.

Although Legere promised T-Mobile's impressive successes in the second quarter were not "a blip," some consider them just that: "TBR believes T-Mobile will not be able to sustain this level of production from its postpaid segment in 2H13 once the initial demand for the Simple Choice plans dies down," wrote TBR's Costa. Costa also pointed out that much of T-Mobile's success on the postpaid side was at the expense of prepaid. Indeed, in T-Mobile's own quarterly SEC filing the carrier noted "the [prepaid] decreases were primarily a result of qualified upgrades of branded prepaid customers to branded postpaid plans as the Un-carrier strategy provides no annual service contract options to credit worthy customers that have historically been utilizing prepaid products."

Read more: M&A catches fire: 24M wireless subscribers moving from Tier 2 to Tier 1 carriers - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/ma-catches-fire-24m-wireless-subscribers-moving-tier-2-tier-1-carriers/2013-08-12#ixzz2btChYq1e

Subscribe at FierceWireless

Any guesses what uncarrier 3.0 is?

But during the carrier's earnings conference call, T-Mobile's Legere promised the carrier will unveil "Un-carrier 3.0" sometime "soon," and while he was vague on what that would entail, he said it "will solve another customer pain point." I'm betting this has something to do with family plans or shared data, products that have helped tie customers to AT&T and Verizon.

Read more: M&A catches fire: 24M wireless subscribers moving from Tier 2 to Tier 1 carriers - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/ma-catches-fire-24m-wireless-subscribers-moving-tier-2-tier-1-carriers/2013-08-12#ixzz2btDG2JuC

Any guesses what uncarrier 3.0 is?

But during the carrier's earnings conference call, T-Mobile's Legere promised the carrier will unveil "Un-carrier 3.0" sometime "soon," and while he was vague on what that would entail, he said it "will solve another customer pain point." I'm betting this has something to do with family plans or shared data, products that have helped tie customers to AT&T and Verizon.

Read more: M&A catches fire: 24M wireless subscribers moving from Tier 2 to Tier 1 carriers - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/ma-catches-fire-24m-wireless-subscribers-moving-tier-2-tier-1-carriers/2013-08-12#ixzz2btDG2JuC

Unlocked phone without having to wait 40 days?

I'm really surprised no one commented on how TMO will not expand LTE or 3G past 228 mil until they get 600 MHz. That means they're going two+ years without 3g/lte pops expansion.

They'd be leaving 15k rural towers with only 2g.

Does TMO expect to be able to survive slowly losing customers till 2016?

Edited by asdf12345