SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

No, FCC call signs, not SIDs.  The FCC stopped regulating Cellular 850 MHz SIDs several years ago, and it has never linked PCS 1900 MHz SIDs with licenses.  That has always been left to the market.

AJ

Oh, ok. Mike was referring to PrimeCo's SIDs (how the app determines whose 1x network you're using), and I wasn't sure which part of my original post you were disagreeing with, so I assumed you had meant PrimeCo's SIDs rather than their call signs.

I finally managed to insulate my S4 enough that it lost Sprint native signal (which wasn't easy as 1xA SMR is now ubiquitous across most of Chicagoland) and shifted to the next carrier listed on my PRL (54015). SignalCheck Pro showed a very weak 1xRTT signal (-103 dBm, -10.0 dB Ec/Io) on SID 4112, which was labeled by the app as belonging to PrimeCo (with an asterisk, which I assume just indicates roaming). It also showed a weak -112 dBm eHRPD signal but I think that was just stuck from the last Sprint reading.

Batonrougebroadband's analysis (Geo area 12) of a similar PRL, 55013, identifies SID 4112 as belonging to USCC.

If you plan on doing tests like that again, grab Roam Control, it would be much easier..  :)

The asterisk does indicate 1X roaming.  I just checked on SID 4112; it is already corrected to US Cellular in the next version of SignalCheck (still in testing, should be released soon).

The line for BSL didn't appear in SignalCheck, so apparently that feature only works with a native signal.

The signal does not have to be native, but the site has to be broadcasting valid lat/long coordinates.  If a valid location is not being received, the app shows nothing.  Verizon sites block their location, so you will never see a BSL while on Verizon.  However, all of the USCC sites I have ever roamed on broadcast their exact location.  That certainly could vary by region.

-Mike

• Like 1

When you say "two signal levels in the notification bar", do you mean two separate icons in the notification bar and two separate notifications in the pulldown display?  Or one notification with multiple pieces of text in the pulldown area showing something like "1X: -85  LTE: -96  WiFi: -77"?

The 1X and main icons can individually be turned on or off in the preferences menu.  Nobody has ever asked for a separate GSM icon, but I could probably look into adding it if that's what you're looking for.

If you mean the text display in the pulldown area, it should be showing "GSM: -85  LTE -101" in your example.  Let me know if it's not.  I got my hands on a GSM test device, but it's not LTE-capable so there could be a bug.

-Mike

Yes, when ran on a Sprint phone, the bar at the top displays two icons, one for 1xRTT and one for LTE/EVDO/1xRTT.

The 1xRTT icons can be turned on and off, in the preferences.

I really like this setup because as you know, the phone connects to two different sources.

post-1063-0-62638600-1376410917_thumb.jpg

In this image, the signal bars for the SignalCheckPro show different levels that the LTE signal bars by quite a bit. I'm not sure which signal bar is using what for the data source, either the GSM or LTE signal.

I think by looking at the numbers that your app is displaying the GSM/EDGE/HSPA signal level and labelling it as 4G. When LTE is not available, it uses the same GSM/EDGE/HSPA signal and labels it as G/E/H/H+.

I'm just guessing here.

post-1063-0-43047800-1376410918_thumb.jpg

You are correct, that the pull down when used on a GSM/LTE phone, it does display what you said, the two numbers next to each other.

post-1063-0-01761200-1376410918_thumb.jpg

Please don't change things just on my account, I feel that expanding the GSM portion of this app, your market audience would grow, if you want it to. Its the best app out there for what it does. I'm just happy that it even runs on the GSM phone I use for work.

The three screen captures are from an s4 GPe on AT&T. I can beta test again for you anytime.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Yes, when ran on a Sprint phone, the bar at the top displays two icons, one for 1xRTT and one for LTE/EVDO/1xRTT.

The 1xRTT icons can be turned on and off, in the preferences.

I really like this setup because as you know, the phone connects to two different sources.

Got it, I understand now.. a GSM-specific icon never crossed my mind, but it would be a useful addition to the app.  Nobody had asked for it until now.  I want to include support for GSM devices, but as a CDMA user, I don't always think of GSM when I am adding new features.  I need people like you to poke me and ask for stuff!  Hard to come by on a Sprint forum, obviously.  The XDA thread had a lot of GSM feedback in the beginning, but once the app stopped crashing, everyone over there left me alone! (hint, hint S4GRU people ;))

In this image, the signal bars for the SignalCheckPro show different levels that the LTE signal bars by quite a bit. I'm not sure which signal bar is using what for the data source, either the GSM or LTE signal.

I think by looking at the numbers that your app is displaying the GSM/EDGE/HSPA signal level and labelling it as 4G. When LTE is not available, it uses the same GSM/EDGE/HSPA signal and labels it as G/E/H/H+.

The status bar icon bars display the level of whatever technology is indicated on the icon.  So if it says "4G", the bars represent the LTE signal strength.  On a GSM device, any other connection type will be the GSM signal strength.  The scale for LTE is measured in RSRP, and is not the same as the scale for any other connections, which are measured in RSSI.  So a -101 dBm LTE connection is a stronger signal than a -101 dBm UMTS connection.  -101 RSRP is programmed to be 5 bars in the app, so it's showing correctly.  Your device probably uses the same scale for all connection types.  -101 RSSI would only be 3 bars in my app.

Please don't change things just on my account, I feel that expanding the GSM portion of this app, your market audience would grow, if you want it to. Its the best app out there for what it does. I'm just happy that it even runs on the GSM phone I use for work.

Like I said above, GSM users end up getting less attention because 1) I hear from them less and 2) I don't use GSM, so I don't see it with my own eyes or think about it on a regular basis.  I appreciate your detailed reply and please feel free to provide input anytime!

-Mike

• Like 1

What are " “hidden” EVDO/eHRPD and LTE signals" referred to in the Coming in next version list of features?

"

• Added option to show “hidden” EVDO/eHRPD and LTE signals when not connected to EVDO/eHRPD or LTE. (Pro)"

Are you referring to sites with a LTE/EVDO carrier being transmitted but not taking connections? (IE in testing)

Got it, I understand now.. a GSM-specific icon never crossed my mind, but it would be a useful addition to the app.  Nobody had asked for it until now.  I want to include support for GSM devices, but as a CDMA user, I don't always think of GSM when I am adding new features.  I need people like you to poke me and ask for stuff!  Hard to come by on a Sprint forum, obviously.  The XDA thread had a lot of GSM feedback in the beginning, but once the app stopped crashing, everyone over there left me alone! (hint, hint S4GRU people ;))

The status bar icon bars display the level of whatever technology is indicated on the icon.  So if it says "4G", the bars represent the LTE signal strength.  On a GSM device, any other connection type will be the GSM signal strength.  The scale for LTE is measured in RSRP, and is not the same as the scale for any other connections, which are measured in RSSI.  So a -101 dBm LTE connection is a stronger signal than a -101 dBm UMTS connection.  -101 RSRP is programmed to be 5 bars in the app, so it's showing correctly.  Your device probably uses the same scale for all connection types.  -101 RSSI would only be 3 bars in my app.

Like I said above, GSM users end up getting less attention because 1) I hear from them less and 2) I don't use GSM, so I don't see it with my own eyes or think about it on a regular basis.  I appreciate your detailed reply and please feel free to provide input anytime!

-Mike

Have you ever used netmonitor?

What are " “hidden” EVDO/eHRPD and LTE signals" referred to in the Coming in next version list of features?

• Added option to show “hidden” EVDO/eHRPD and LTE signals when not connected to EVDO/eHRPD or LTE. (Pro)"

Are you referring to sites with a LTE/EVDO carrier being transmitted but not taking connections? (IE in testing)

Short answer: Sort of, but they were always there before anyway.  Long answer: Keep reading (It turned out to be really long.  But I know a lot of people around here would start asking about it eventually, so I'd rather give a ridiculously long explanation once instead of a short explanation 50 times)...

History:

Until version 4.06, SignalCheck showed any and all cellular signals your device was receiving, regardless if it was connected to them or not.  Some devices are capable of receiving EV-DO and LTE signals at the same time, even though the device is only connected to one or the other.  SignalCheck would show both signals.  When the LTE rollout started, there were many reports of LTE signals being shown in the app, but unable to be connected to; those were possibly connections in testing.  The signals would come and go, and seemed to vary, so they were probably legitimate.

"Hidden" signals is what I came up with at 3am to describe these signals that are being received but not connected to.  Perhaps it's not a great word to use, but it's shorter and requires less explanation than "Show signals that your phone is receiving but not connecting to for whatever reason".

A problem developed:

The HTC One apparently does not clear out stale LTE signal strengths.  When users lose their LTE connection, the phone continues to report whatever the last valid LTE signal data was.  SignalCheck simply displays what the device is reporting, so the app made it look like there was a valid LTE signal where there was none.  A dead giveaway that it was invalid was that none of the LTE data ever changed until another LTE connection was made.

The first solution:

So, I decided to change the way SignalCheck behaved for those users.  It detects if the device is an HTC One, and if so, it hides all LTE signal information unless the active connection type is LTE.  This is only in version 4.06.

The new solution:

Once the HTC One problem started being talked about, others reported similar issues with both EV-DO and LTE on other devices.  So, I decided to change the app again.  In future versions, no EV-DO or LTE signal data will be displayed on any devices unless it is the active connection.  Users who want to see the "hidden" information can enable an option in the Preferences screen to do so.  It will be disabled by default, so stale data will not be shown.

Sorry for the long-winded response!

-Mike

• Like 5

Have you ever used netmonitor?

Yes.. I have......?  I liked the mapping feature until something broke and it was claiming I was connected to sites in places I've never heard of on the other side of the planet.

-Mike

• Like 1

Yes.. I have......?  I liked the mapping feature until something broke and it was claiming I was connected to sites in places I've never heard of on the other side of the planet.

-Mike

Lol. The names need adjusted sometimes. mine said some weird ass names but showed i was connected to the proper tower. I know the NV, it shows the proper tower location and it shows which one you're connected to and which towers you've connected to. I think it'd be cool to see you add a version of your own into a tab in the app :) Maybe an exclusive for people with the pro app :)

Lol. The names need adjusted sometimes. mine said some weird ass names but showed i was connected to the proper tower. I know the NV, it shows the proper tower location and it shows which one you're connected to and which towers you've connected to. I think it'd be cool to see you add a version of your own into a tab in the app :) Maybe an exclusive for people with the pro app :)

I have been working on some logging and mapping features, but they are still in the early stages of development and nothing works yet.  Those are probably the next two new features that will be added, but I can't say when they will be ready.  I agree, it would be cool.. :)

-Mike

• Like 1

-Mike

contact the developer he thinks im the only person that it happens too lol he had it fixed for several updates, then suddenly an update or two ago it started happening again.. it still maps well but not knowing which site im on with the exception of some chinese city name is a pain in the arse 

I have been working on some logging and mapping features, but they are still in the early stages of development and nothing works yet.  Those are probably the next two new features that will be added, but I can't say when they will be ready.  I agree, it would be cool.. :)

-Mike

It would make the app unique and awesome. I'm glad you're developing it :). netmonitor is no longer updated. So any problems it has, well you know lol. Just keep up the great work :)

contact the developer he thinks im the only person that it happens too lol he had it fixed for several updates, then suddenly an update or two ago it started happening again.. it still maps well but not knowing which site im on with the exception of some chinese city name is a pain in the arse 

Oh I've contacted him several times.  I updated my Google Play review last night to push it back to the top as well.  I can't even find the locations it shows me, no idea what continent they are even on.  Motivation to get something similar working in my app :)

-Mike

• Like 1

Is anyone running SignalCheck (Lite or Pro) on a stock Samsung Galaxy S4?  A little birdie showed me the AT&T version displays both the GCI (hex) and PCI (3-digit) LTE serving cells.. wondering if the same good fortune is on the Sprint version..

-Mike

I will be out of town Friday-Sunday, with no intentions of paying any attention to my phone during that time.  If my beta testers don't find anything broken by then, and I survive the weekend, I will release the next SignalCheck Pro update Sunday night...  B)

-Mike

• Like 9

Is anyone running SignalCheck (Lite or Pro) on a stock Samsung Galaxy S4?  A little birdie showed me the AT&T version displays both the GCI (hex) and PCI (3-digit) LTE serving cells.. wondering if the same good fortune is on the Sprint version..

-Mike

I don't think so. I'm running SignalCheck Pro on a stock, non-rooted Sprint S4 and the only LTE information that is displayed is RSRP and RSRQ.

If you plan on doing tests like that again, grab Roam Control, it would be much easier..  :)

Thanks! When I get around to rooting the phone that will be one of the first apps I'll install.

As promised, the latest update to SignalCheck Pro has been released!  Version 4.09 should be available on Google Play shortly.  There are a some significant changes in this version, along with many small ones.. here's a rundown of everything, with the big stuff at the top:

Changed carrier name display; each connection type will display the name of the connected carrier, if available.
Instead of one carrier being listed at the top of the app (which was the 1X provider), each individual connection will attempt show the carrier name, provided by a database packaged with the app.  EV-DO/eHRPD connections will only show a carrier name on HTC devices right now.  I would appreciate reports of any incorrect carrier names appearing.

Added caching of BSL addresses; geocoding server will only be queried if the BSL is “new” to that device. (Pro)
Once a location is geocoded, it will be saved on the device and displayed if the same coordinates are reported again, without a query to the remote geocoding server.  These queries are not very data-intensive, but it will still result in a lot less of a network impact by the app.  Also, if you experience the bug that causes the geocoding to stop working, any cached addresses will still be displayed.  BSL addresses that are “new” will be cached and displayed in bold the first time to inform you that this is a new site.

Added option to show “hidden” EVDO/eHRPD and LTE signals when not connected to EVDO/eHRPD or LTE. (Pro)
and
Resolved issue with stale EVDO/eHRPD or LTE data displayed after connection is lost.

I addressed these two changes in a previous post.

Added ability for rooted Android 4.2+ devices to utilize the Reset Data Connection feature. (Pro) 
Google removed developer access to airplane mode in Android 4.2 and beyond.  A workaround has been implemented that will only work on rooted devices.  Unrooted devices running Android 4.2+ cannot use the Reset feature at this time.

Updated hundreds of entries in the carrier database.

The carrier names displayed for 1X, EV-DO/eHRPD, GSM, and LTE are all stored within the app.  If you notice an incorrect, missing, or weird carrier name, please let me know!

Resolved issue with invalid LTE serving cell and frequency values displaying.
Any invalid serving cell or frequency values will now automatically be hidden.

Resolved issue with BSL causing crashes for locales that use a comma as a decimal point. (Pro)

Bug reports I received from Puerto Rico showed this was happening.

Resolved issue with Google Maps not showing BSL marker on first launch. (Pro)
I might have been the only one who noticed, but it annoyed me a LOT.

Simplified BSL display when address is not cached and geocoding server is unavailable. (Pro)

If the BSL address cannot be determined, the screen will show "Click for map.."

Changed signal bars icon to display “LTE” instead of “4G”. (Pro)
and
Corrected GSM area code field to display as LAC instead of AC.

Cosmetic changes.  Trying to promote the standard technologically-correct terms.

Removed unused libraries, reducing APK file size. (Pro)
Now the APK is 36% smaller.

Resolved issue with CDMA carrier database location on multi-user devices.
Installs on devices using the new multi-user features built into Android might have had issues with previous versions.

SignalCheck Lite will be updated by next weekend.  Thanks to everyone for their support, especially my beta testers!

-Mike
  • Like 21

Believe me the Google Maps issue was bugging the shit out of me.

BTW: What were you saying about being too close? :wink:

Of course it's bogus to the trained eye.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

uploadfromtaptalk1376881700789.jpg

• Like 1

Believe me the Google Maps issue was bugging the shit out of me.

BTW: What were you saying about being too close? :wink:

Of course it's bogus to the trained eye.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

Someone is cheating.  The NID gives you away ;)

• Like 3