SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

The carrier name comes from the 1X connection.. he's on Verizon 1X and Sprint LTE. Last I heard, there aren't any LTE roaming agreements yet, certainly not between the major carriers.-Mike

Maybe stop flashing PRLs that are not for Sprint. You kinda sorta need the records that tell your device to scan for LTE.
Thank you kind gentleman! I'll relay the message and also tell him to go pro and use it to keep tabs on the emerging market. :D*Oh, and to stop flashing non-Sprint PRL's. Sent from my HTC d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mike,

I notice the same issue but it occurs with other apps too. (Cdma Field, Netmonitor, Opensignal, RootMetrics).  

*This is concerning what WiWavelength Mentioned*

Mike,

I notice the same issue but it occurs with other apps too. (Cdma Field, Netmonitor, Opensignal, RootMetrics).

Not sure what 'issue' you are referring to.. do you mean the name of the cellular provider? It's because the only standard methods and variables used to check the carrier name are all based off of the 1X connection. The latest version of SignalCheck actually does it better than any of others because it doesn't rely on the built-in method to pull the name, and instead checks the 1X network it is connected to, and looks it up in a database within the app. Folks like the guy who flashed a Verizon PRL to his Sprint phone would normally not show them as being on Verizon's network, but SignalCheck will.

-Mike

This is to what I was responding too, Sorry I didn't quote it earlier.

Ooooh that's not good.  Any other LG users seeing similar issues?  I just received one report of stale EVDO and LTE data not clearing off the screen when the connection is lost on an LG Viper, but that's the only other LG issue I've ever received.

AJ, I'm sending you a PM..

-Mike

The HTC patch for LTE ECIs and TACs should be going into Cyanogenmod nightlies in the next day or so: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/45607/

What are ECIs?  Right now, SignalCheck will display any Cell Identity and Physical Cell Identity data pulled from API 17.  I have the code for TAC data commented out because it was causing crashes and it was not benefiting anyone.  If CM is going to start populating these fields, I'll try getting it working again.

-Mike

So I'm not sure if it is the CM10.1 Nightly for my Note 2 and the RIL issues or a SignalCheck issue, but I seem to be having stale data for 1X and eHRPD.  I'll watch the screen and it just hangs for 20-50 seconds, then jumps around for 10 seconds, then hangs again.  Lather, rinse, repeat...

Sometimes it's both, most of the time it is just one or the other...

ECI=E-UTRAN Cell Identity (aka "hex id").

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

You'll also see them referred to as GCI's in LTE documents, Global Cell Identity.  The 3 digit ones shown on Samsung debug screens are called PCI, Physical Cell Identity (only 504 combinations in the spec).

So I'm not sure if it is the CM10.1 Nightly for my Note 2 and the RIL issues or a SignalCheck issue, but I seem to be having stale data for 1X and eHRPD. I'll watch the screen and it just hangs for 20-50 seconds, then jumps around for 10 seconds, then hangs again. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Sometimes it's both, most of the time it is just one or the other...

It is probably something with the phone; signal updates are broadcast all at once; i.e. any change in 1X, EVDO, or LTE signal will trigger fresh values of all 3. The app has no control over the frequency of data updates, the device is supposed to broadcast signal changes as they occur.

Is there a thread anywhere about Note 2 RIL issues? Are they CM-specific?

-Mike

It is probably something with the phone; signal updates are broadcast all at once; i.e. any change in 1X, EVDO, or LTE signal will trigger fresh values of all 3. The app has no control over the frequency of data updates, the device is supposed to broadcast signal changes as they occur.

Is there a thread anywhere about Note 2 RIL issues? Are they CM-specific?

-Mike

Yes, CM Specific, they've been working on this RIL since May.  For over a month, due to RIL blobs, LTE would be lost after a reboot.  We had times where the signals didn't work at all.  I believe the root is the entire family of devices trying to be under a single RIL.

As always awesome app and thanks for the follow up

4.07b seems to have reintroduced the stale LTE issues on the HTC One. I was fully resolved in previous beta. Sent from my HTC d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hmm.. check the Preferences menu, make sure "Show Hidden LTE" is not checked?

EDIT: Ha.. actually, check it off.  See if that fixes it...

-Mike

Is there any way to set the network scan interval? Or add this as a feature? I want to get onto a 4g signal asap.

Network scan interval?  As in to force a re-scan for LTE?  There is no method for third-party developers to do that, other than toggling airplane mode.  SignalCheck Pro has a 'Reset Data Connection' button that will let you toggle it manually whenever you would like, but another S4GRU member wrote an app called "LTE Discovery" which automatically does it for you at a specific interval.  I've never tried that app, but I have read very good things about it and it is recommended by others around here quite often: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2864-lte-discovery-app-for-s4gru/

If that wasn't what you were looking for, please clarify.

-Mike

Mike,

In the screen shot, the bsl location for 1x800 showed my location, not the tower location.  I was at a Sonic when I saw this.  The only 800 tower that Robert shows is in Olathe.

rTooCXfl.png

Mike,

In the screen shot, the bsl location for 1x800 showed my location, not the tower location. I was at a Sonic when I saw this. The only 800 tower that Robert shows is in Olathe.

rTooCXfl.png

There is def 800x in Overland Park, I screen shot it last weekend, I think I actually posted it earlier in the thread. I want to say it was on W. 91st and Metcalf.

Sent from my HTC d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My EVOLTE was going crazy tonight, driving across the Delaware Memorial Bridge on I-295.  It kept vibrating and showing LTE on Signalcheck, but the RF Band said [Exception] and it would go back to eHRPD.  Then back to LTE.  And back ... and forth ... etc.  Was I probably just picking up a fringe signal and losing it repeatedly?  This isn't the first time I've experienced that, either.

Mike,

In the screen shot, the bsl location for 1x800 showed my location, not the tower location.  I was at a Sonic when I saw this.  The only 800 tower that Robert shows is in Olathe.

Well the app has no GPS functions (yet), so if it happened to be your location, that was just by chance!  Each site broadcasts latitude/longitude coordinates indicating its location.  SignalCheck takes those coordinates and translates them into the nearest street address using a remote geocoding server.

Many sites that are broadcasting CDMA 800 are not listed as 800 accepted on the S4GRU maps.  Many sites in my area have been broadcasting 800 for several weeks but are not showing that on the map.

If there is no site at the address shown, it is likely because many Sprint markets do not broadcast the actual location of the site, but an offset instead; see here: http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/help/#bslwrong

-Mike

• Like 1

My EVOLTE was going crazy tonight, driving across the Delaware Memorial Bridge on I-295.  It kept vibrating and showing LTE on Signalcheck, but the RF Band said [Exception] and it would go back to eHRPD.  Then back to LTE.  And back ... and forth ... etc.  Was I probably just picking up a fringe signal and losing it repeatedly?  This isn't the first time I've experienced that, either.

Yes, most likely -- especially if you were driving across the bridge.  Being in such an open area over water, your EVO was probably grabbing sites that were too far to hold onto.  The "RFBand [Exception]" display is a bug that is fixed in the next version that is coming soon.  It usually pops up when an HTC device sees an LTE signal for a moment but does not connect because it is too weak.  That would make sense in your case.

-Mike

• Like 1

Yes, most likely -- especially if you were driving across the bridge. Being in such an open area over water, your EVO was probably grabbing sites that were too far to hold onto. The "RFBand [Exception]" display is a bug that is fixed in the next version that is coming soon. It usually pops up when an HTC device sees an LTE signal for a moment but does not connect because it is too weak. That would make sense in your case.

-Mike

That does make sense, since the signals that kept popping up were like -124, -127, etc.

Mike,

AJ and Rickie are slowly identifying sites that are broadcasting 800 in the Kansas market. There are many more than are marked on the sites complete map. We're not getting 800 acceptance notifications at the same intervals we are 3G and 4G.

Well the app has no GPS functions (yet), so if it happened to be your location, that was just by chance!  Each site broadcasts latitude/longitude coordinates indicating its location.  SignalCheck takes those coordinates and translates them into the nearest street address using a remote geocoding server.

Many sites that are broadcasting CDMA 800 are not listed as 800 accepted on the S4GRU maps.  Many sites in my area have been broadcasting 800 for several weeks but are not showing that on the map.

If there is no site at the address shown, it is likely because many Sprint markets do not broadcast the actual location of the site, but an offset instead; see here: http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/help/#bslwrong

-Mike

Wow, that is such a coincidence that I was at sonic getting cheese covered tatter tots and sprint would use that area as there location.  I notice that when I moved from the east side of the tower to the ease, it changed the location of the tower. 

Looks like 800 is on for the tower at 151st and 69 Hwy in OP, ks.