SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

What about displaying the *device* coordinates near the LTE signal info, so at least we can cross reference the location a screen shot was taken vs the signal strength and SCID's displayed?

This would tie into the logging features I am trying to work on, where signals, sites, and your position are saved. I'm worried about some battery drain though, as the position of the device isn't stored anywhere, its always calculated on the fly and requires GPS calls. I'll try to remind myself to look into displaying the position on screen when I make more progress on it.

-Mike

• Like 1

Thanks! I think I know what you mean, but can you take a screenshot and show me what grey part you are referring to?

-Mike

Mike,

Its the grey section in the widget. Screenshot attached.

Salman

post-2884-0-41324300-1372365402_thumb.png

Its the grey section in the widget. Screenshot attached.

Interesting.. the widget looks a lot better on all of the devices I have tested!  Usually like this:

SCwidget.png

Others have asked for a transparent background as well. I will work on more options to make the widget look better on more devices.

-Mike

Interesting.. the widget looks a lot better on all of the devices I have tested!  Usually like this:

attachicon.gifSCwidget.png

Others have asked for a transparent background as well. I will work on more options to make the widget look better on more devices.

-Mike

Mike,

I have a sprint galaxy s3, but it is running a custom rom and i have a black background. Not sure if the custom rom has anything to do with it. I can help you test it out if you like.

Salman

Mike,

I have a sprint galaxy s3, but it is running a custom rom and i have a black background. Not sure if the custom rom has anything to do with it. I can help you test it out if you like.

Salman

BY the way, it has the same grey background on my wife's galaxy s4. That phone is also rooted, but running standard sprint rom.

Ahh yes, the only benefit the iPhone has over Android.. developers only have to worry about how the app runs on one device!  SignalCheck is currently supported on 3,018 Android devices as of right now.. and it goes up every day.  Tough to test them all!

Along the same lines, SignalCheck Lite has been reactivated on Google Play and has been "updated" to version 3.16L.  I use quotes, because it is the exact same as 3.09L.  The update to 3.15L broke the app for GSM users, and since I couldn't get any of my previous GSM testers to get back to me, I had to go this route.  Ordered a cheap GSM phone off eBay for future testing, but it is going to take 2 weeks to arrive.

-Mike

• Like 5

Ever thought of the widget containing the data reset button. Or a separate widget for that. Sometimes I'm not in the app when I want to force a reset.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

Ever thought of the widget containing the data reset button. Or a separate widget for that. Sometimes I'm not in the app when I want to force a reset.

Ok i just realized there's an option to make the widget reset The data connection. Sorry about that. I really should poke around more.

Hey, I love when you ask for things I already put in there.. it makes me feel like I accomplished something, without having to lift a finger! :)

-Mike

• Like 2

SignalCheck Lite (the free version) has been updated on Google Play!

Android 2.1 (Eclair) users will get Version 3.17L, which fixes all of the problems for GSM users caused by 3.15L. This is the last update that will support Eclair.

Everyone else should receive Version 4.03L, which includes the fixes in 3.17 as well as the applicable goodies the Pro users got in 4.03 about 10 days ago. All future updates will require Android 2.2 or higher.

Sorry it took so long, but I did not want to launch any new versions until I could fully test things out for the GSM folks.

Please report any bugs you find! Hopefully things stay stable so I can get back to adding new stuff...

-Mike

• Like 2

I just wanted to say "Thanks" for adding the option to change the notification sound for 4G. I love the audio notification, but the the previous "twinkling" sound was a little jarring.

The Signal Check app just keeps getting better and better! :D

• Like 2

Hello, using the Pro version.

Why does the app says EVDO but on top left notification bar it says eHRPD?

Well the connection you have is technically eHRPD, which is reflected in the top right corner of the app as well as in the status bar. The EV-DO label is static, mostly because nobody else ever asked about it. EV-DO and eHRPD are nearly identical from the end user point of view. It would be a bit tricky to have it update, but I think I could do it. I will keep it in mind.

-Mike

Mike, look into the low power gps option that became part of the google services at Google IO this year. It might not be live yet, but should be very shortly, and I think it's in the latest SDK already.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

dstar2002, on 30 Jun 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Mike, look into the low power gps option that became part of the google services at Google IO this year. It might not be live yet, but should be very shortly, and I think it's in the latest SDK already.

Thank you very much for the heads up about this! I had not heard about it; I just watched the presentation from Google IO and I am very impressed with the new features. It looks like they pushed it out as part of a Google Play Services update, so every device should have the functionality already. My biggest reluctance to adding location features has been battery drain, and they have addressed it by a complete redesign of the location features.. good stuff!

-Mike

you could make location features optional with the app active only.

or check if gps is fixed/active and only use it when some other app has it active (like sensorly for example).

Nice to finally be driving around and hear the audio chime that I have LTE. It's worth the money if you're just getting LTE in your area. Great little app that does what it should and not tons of bloat features.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

note 

My biggest reluctance to adding location features has been battery drain, and they have addressed it by a complete redesign of the location features.. good stuff!

One thing to note, really only need to check gps on getting a new lte signal and possibly on SCID changes.

There is also the ability to get course location (via cell tower) or fine location via gps fix.

Could it be a software problem? Or does it have to do with the aluminum hardware? Because it just seems like it takes awhile for it to switch from 3G to 4G, and using the signalcheck app it shows a Lte signal but still wants to connect to 3G even when 4G is available

I have seen no issues whatsoever with the ONE connecting to LTE. When I was checking out sites in southern Missouri a couple weeks ago, it had connected to LTE before I even thought to cycle airplane mode. SignalCheck isn't going to show an LTE signal before your phone actually connects. If it's showing an LTE signal, but you aren't connected, than it is either a glitch, or it is showing the last time you connected. It holds onto that value until you reset the radios, or restart the phones.

Jstates, are you saying you are seeing EV-DO and LTE signal information in SignalCheck at the same time, but you are not connecting to LTE? PM me a screenshot when you have a chance, if the bug is due to the app, I'd like to fix it.

Dkoellerwx, can the HTC ONE not connect to 3G and 4G at the same time? I know some devices can, and some cannot. Just trying to determine where the glitch might be.

-Mike

• Like 1

This app isn't working with the prl 2000 for the note 2. it shows the value of 1 for sid, nid, and bid. Is there a solution? I can't just write a new prl as the option is hidden under the data menu.

This app isn't working with the prl 2000 for the note 2. it shows the value of 1 for sid, nid, and bid. Is there a solution? I can't just write a new prl as the option is hidden under the data menu.

The app will work with any PRL including the 2xxx series. It's at a higher level than that in the software layers.

Hi there, I think I had replied to your review on Google Play a few days ago. Have you tried a PRL update yet? That has fixed this issue for others. I don't mean a custom PRL.. force an update from the network under your device's Settings menu. Restart your device after it finishes if it does not do it automatically.

It is not an issue with the app; your phone is seeing those values for SID/NID/BID.

-Mike

Hi there, I think I had replied to your review on Google Play a few days ago. Have you tried a PRL update yet? That has fixed this issue for others. I don't mean a custom PRL.. force an update from the network under your device's Settings menu. Restart your device after it finishes if it does not do it automatically.It is not an issue with the app; your phone is seeing those values for SID/NID/BID.-Mike

Hi, sorry to keep annoying but I know on the reviews you mentioned to update the Prl which I did a few times as well as restart the phone. I'm just stumped.