SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

As as request to everyone, if you see LTE signal stats displayed on Mike's excellent app but cannot connect to LTE, please crosscheck your internal LTE engineering screen. My experience is that the LTE engineering screen will not display LTE signal stats if the site is still barred. But the API may still report those LTE metrics, and Mike's app may still display them. With a few crosschecks, we can likely make a solid deduction.

AJ

As as request to everyone, if you see LTE signal stats displayed on Mike's excellent app but cannot connect to LTE, please crosscheck your internal LTE engineering screen. My experience is that the LTE engineering screen will not display LTE signal stats if the site is still barred. But the API may still report those LTE metrics, and Mike's app may still display them. With a few crosschecks, we can likely make a solid deduction.

AJ

Side note, you need to be on a Stock ROM as CM variants don't have the engineering screens from my experience.

Oh my question was never about the app; I never had any doubts that the LTE connection it was seeing was real. Just curious as to why my phone wasn't connecting in an area known to have LTE, hence why I replied in the thread I did. My guess would be the the signal is just unusable, due to testing or any other reason. The signal strength that was displayed was well with the Evo's ability to connect to. I'd be surprised to learn if it is indeed just an Evo problem.

Oh I didn't mean for it to come out like you were talking about the app.. I was just trying to hit on all of the things that were mentioned in the other thread. cgass saw it on a Galaxy Nexus, so it's not EVO-specific. Maybe it is seeing testing/setup signals.. like AJ said, if anyone comes across this, try to catch a shot of your LTE Engineering screen while it's going on. Anyone running SignalCheck Pro on an HTC device can get their quickly by clicking on 'Field Trial' from the menu. (Still working on it for other manufacturers!)

Any plans for a widget?

Now that you mention it, I think someone had asked about a widget before.. I totally forgot about it until seeing your post. I can certainly consider it.. if you have anything specific you'd like it to show/do, let me know. Have a few other items that I'm polishing off first, but I'm more than happy to add it to the wish list.

-Mike

Oh I didn't mean for it to come out like you were talking about the app.. I was just trying to hit on all of the things that were mentioned in the other thread. cgass saw it on a Galaxy Nexus, so it's not EVO-specific. Maybe it is seeing testing/setup signals.. like AJ said, if anyone comes across this, try to catch a shot of your LTE Engineering screen while it's going on. Anyone running SignalCheck Pro on an HTC device can get their quickly by clicking on 'Field Trial' from the menu. (Still working on it for other manufacturers!)

Now that you mention it, I think someone had asked about a widget before.. I totally forgot about it until seeing your post. I can certainly consider it.. if you have anything specific you'd like it to show/do, let me know. Have a few other items that I'm polishing off first, but I'm more than happy to add it to the wish list.

-Mike

I envision a 1x1 with the most pertinent number(s) shown. Anything small and unobtrusive would satisfy me. Thanks!

• Like 1

SignalCheck Pro version 3 has been released on Google Play! It should be available within the hour here.. here are some of the highlights:

Introduced brand new customizable main status bar icons.

Introduced a customizable secondary status bar icon for always-on 1X display.

Redesigned Preferences menu.

Expanded help screen.

Improved resolution of SignalCheck icon.

LTE RSSI readings were removed. All LTE functions now use RSRP.

Adjusted graphical bar levels for LTE and Wi-Fi.

Improved detection of "no signal" situations.

Separated vibrate and audio alert preferences for LTE alerts.

Code optimizations and enhancements.

The free version (SignalCheck Lite) has not been updated yet. I intend to upload that later tonight.

User-selectable notification tones, LTE cell IDs, icon theming, and widgets are not in this release, but are still in development for future versions.

Please let me know what you think.. and if you find any bugs.

Thanks,

-Mike

• Like 7

Thanks for all the hard work Mike. I'll be eagerly checking the play store for the update.

Edit: Got the update. Some nice changes. The notification is much nicer and the expanded help is going to be a big plus for any non technogeek users. Thanks again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Hi Mike. Thanks for the great update. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but the logo of the app is covering the signal bars in the notification area. I attached a screenshot below.

tuzu2e5u.jpg

Actually, its sort of a bug, and you exposed my "fix" for it! It has to do with the new status bar icons. Unfortunately, the icon in the pulldown notifications list will not update when the signal level changes.. so I chose to "cover" it with a larger logo icon. Apparently its not big enough on some phones! :)

I tried to find a way for the icon to update, but it is apparently a limitation of Android.. other developers have run into the same issue before. I was hoping my solution wouldn't end up looking cheesy, but it definitely does. I'll figure something better out for the next release.

-Mike

SignalCheck Lite (the free version) was upgraded to version 3.01 last night and is now available on Google Play.

Those of you who are using the app, thanks for all of your suggestions and support. If you have a chance, please rate/review it on Google Play.. it only takes a moment. Thanks! :)

-Mike

Anybody having trouble with the audible alert on pro 3.01? It was working on previous release but I'm having trouble on the newest version. I have it checked in the menu screen but can't seem to get it to work. Uninstall and download again?

Anybody having trouble with the audible alert on pro 3.01? It was working on previous release but I'm having trouble on the newest version. I have it checked in the menu screen but can't seem to get it to work. Uninstall and download again?

If you enable the vibrate alert, does that work? What is the default notification sound on your phone? This version does not play the chimes sound like version 2; it uses whatever you have set in your sound settings.. so if you have something quiet (or no sound) by default, that could be the cause. User-selectable tones will (hopefully) be working soon.

-Mike

. . . This version does not play the chimes sound like version 2; it uses whatever you have set in your sound settings.. so if you have something quiet (or no sound) by default, that could be the cause. . . .

And I so loved the chimes . . .

If you enable the vibrate alert, does that work? What is the default notification sound on your phone? This version does not play the chimes sound like version 2; it uses whatever you have set in your sound settings.. so if you have something quiet (or no sound) by default, that could be the cause. User-selectable tones will (hopefully) be working soon.

-Mike

ahh that was it !! works perfectly, love the app !!

• Like 1

And I so loved the chimes . . .

Ok, not sure if my sarcasm detector is missing it, but.. really? I guess if you associate them with finding LTE, it would hold a soft spot in you heart. :)

If I can't get ringtone selection working by the next update, I promise the chimes will be an option. I've been getting confused myself when I hear the notification sound go off, because it's used by other apps.

-Mike

Ok, not sure if my sarcasm detector is missing it, but.. really? I guess if you associate them with finding LTE, it would hold a soft spot in you heart. :)

If I can't get ringtone selection working by the next update, I promise the chimes will be an option. I've been getting confused myself when I hear the notification sound go off, because it's used by other apps.

-Mike

No sarcasm. I really do like the chimes, especially because where I drive is fringy for LTE, and I also get a lot of mail, so the notification tone can be confusing.

-Mike

I like the chimes as well, for the exact reason. While driving, I don't check my phone when I receive a text/email notification. The unique notification lets me know that I've actually hit LTE.

You guys are going to make me break down a buy this sucker I see. ;)

Sent from my little Note2

It's quite handy. I use it every time I hunt/map LTE.

• Like 1

You guys are going to make me break down a buy this sucker I see. ;)

Come on, digiblur, show the man some monetary appreciation. I will even spot you the dollar and change, but the tradeoff is that you have to install the app on an HTC handset.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

Come on, digiblur, show the man some monetary appreciation. I will even spot you the dollar and change, but the tradeoff is that you have to install the app on an HTC handset.

;)

AJ

Not a problem..It will be installed on their 5.5inch handset sporting 800SMR LTE with some RF performance numbers to die for.

• Like 1

• mikejeep changed the title to SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths