SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

If you enable the vibrate alert, does that work? What is the default notification sound on your phone? This version does not play the chimes sound like version 2; it uses whatever you have set in your sound settings.. so if you have something quiet (or no sound) by default, that could be the cause. User-selectable tones will (hopefully) be working soon.

-Mike

Well, that explains something for me. I was wondering why you chose to have the notification for text messages be the default tone for your app. the correct answer is... YOU DIDN'T!

I use "CHIMES" for my text alerts and that's what made me confused. I was one of the folks that requested user configurable tones, but it wasn't as much for me to have a choice, just the ability to distinguish one audible alert from another.

If it's easier for you to have just one tone for the app, that's fine for me, just so long as it is unique for that alert. If you decide to go with CHIMES again, no biggie, I will just change my text alert sound. Problem solved on my end!

Well, that explains something for me. I was wondering why you chose to have the notification for text messages be the default tone for your app. the correct answer is... YOU DIDN'T!

I use "CHIMES" for my text alerts and that's what made me confused. I was one of the folks that requested user configurable tones, but it wasn't as much for me to have a choice, just the ability to distinguish one audible alert from another.

If it's easier for you to have just one tone for the app, that's fine for me, just so long as it is unique for that alert. If you decide to go with CHIMES again, no biggie, I will just change my text alert sound. Problem solved on my end!

Hah! Sorry for the confusion.. I am trying to get configurable tones working, but apparently I have stumbled upon a bug in Android itself that nobody seems to be able to explain. I'll definitely have a couple of ringtone options in the next version, but I'd like to get the full list working as it should.

If there are any Android developers listening, shoot me a PM! Maybe I'm just missing something..

-Mike

Hi Mike.

I wanted to request if you could add a Reset Data Connection button on the main screen, maybe below the bars. Reason I ask is because I usually have your app open while driving around and it's hard to drive and click Menu > Reset... while keeping on my eyes on the road. I like how fast your app resets the data connection quicker than any program I've ever used, so hopefully you'll accept my request.

Keep up the great work! :D

Sent from my Rooted Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

• Like 1

I wanted to request if you could add a Reset Data Connection button on the main screen, maybe below the bars. Reason I ask is because I usually have your app open while driving around and it's hard to drive and click Menu > Reset... while keeping on my eyes on the road. I like how fast your app resets the data connection quicker than any program I've ever used, so hopefully you'll accept my request.

Keep up the great work! :D

That seems like a good idea, I will try getting that in there in the near future. Thank you for the suggestion!

-Mike

SignalCheck Pro version 3.02 has been released on Google Play! It should be available within the hour HERE.. some of the highlights include:

• Introduced LTE Cell ID display on *some* Android 4.2 devices. If device is capable, information will be displayed under LTE on main screen.
  • Introduced user preference to select LTE alert sound. Will be expanded in future releases.
  • Introduced option to display Reset Data Connection button on main screen.
  • Resolved issue with icon display in pulldown notification menu.
  • Resolved issue with status bar icon disappearing in certain situations.
  • Resolved issue with default user preferences not initiating properly.
  • New distinct vibration pattern for LTE alerts.
  • Minor code optimizations and enhancements.

The free version (SignalCheck Lite) will be updated later today. LTE Cell ID is the only new feature for Lite users.

LTE Cell ID is clearly the biggest new feature, but before you get too excited -- it is only going to work on a limited number of devices right now. At a minimum, the device must be running Android 4.2 or newer. Even if you are at that level, your device might not gather the appropriate information. Compatible devices will show information under LTE on the main screen. Incompatible devices will not see any difference.

User-selectable notification tones are a work in progress, but there is an option now -- users can choose between their device's default notification sound or the beloved chimes. :)

The glitch with displaying the icon in the notification pulldown area has been addressed for the most part. The icons that display a combination of the network type and the signal strength will NOT display the signal strength part of the icon in the pulldown menu. That's an Android bug I am trying to work around. The icons should display properly in the status bar.

Please post any feedback, positive or negative.. and definitely let me know when you find any bugs. I expect some bumps in the road especially for LTE Cell IDs.

Thanks for everyone's support!

-Mike

P.S. Special thanks to those of you who have taken the time to post a review on Google Play.. I appreciate it!

• Like 4

Glad its what you were looking for!

The updated free (Lite) version is now available on Google Play.

If anyone has any success with LTE Cell ID on either version, please post some feedback.. looking forward to see how it does out in the wild.

-Mike

Ok, thanks. Certainly does not seem like many (any?) devices on the market right now report this information through the API. Hopefully as 4.2 (and beyond) becomes more widespread, it gets better.

What's with the 328203 asu?? Does it always show a wacky value there? That's not right..

-Mike

Question for nobody specific.. is there any value in knowing the (lengthy) EVDO Sector ID? I'm trying to find the lat/long of the connected site (or sector), but have only discovered the ID so far.

-Mike

Question for nobody specific.. is there any value in knowing the (lengthy) EVDO Sector ID? I'm trying to find the lat/long of the connected site (or sector), but have only discovered the ID so far.

-Mike

Sector ID isn't important to me, but PN number is. I use PN to identify the EVDO sector. And it coordinates with data in my database. It's the only way I know which EVDO site I'm connected to.

Robert

-Mike

I have seen this ID on the HTC devices. It is the entire evdo subnet down to the sector. Supposedly. But it seemed to be different at times when on the same PN. I am thinking it also included the channel some how. I switched to the Note2 before I was able to reverse engineer it.

Sent from my little Note2

I have seen this ID on the HTC devices. It is the entire evdo subnet down to the sector. Supposedly. But it seemed to be different at times when on the same PN. I am thinking it also included the channel some how. I switched to the Note2 before I was able to reverse engineer it.

Sent from my little Note2

What would it take to reverse engineer it? I have my EVO Shift.

Sector ID does reflect both PN and carrier channel. See the screen caps in my article:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-318-can-toggling-airplane-mode-actually-improve-your-3g-data-speeds/

Same PN, three different carriers, three different sector IDs...

AJ

Sector ID does reflect both PN and carrier channel. See the screen caps in my article:

http://s4gru.com/ind...3g-data-speeds/

Same PN, three different carriers, three different sector IDs...

AJ

I do see they are unique for each channel/sector in looking at your screen shots. However, is there a way to tell by looking at the Sector ID to determine which PN and Channel it is? On my LG Optimus G, it shows PN and EVDO Sector ID, but the Sector ID is expressed a little different than HTC.

Robert

uploadfromtaptalk1362632821751.jpg

I do see they are unique for each channel/sector in looking at your screen shots. However, is there a way to tell by looking at the Sector ID to determine which PN and Channel it is?

I guess you want me to go circumnavigate my local Sprint site, since I have one that actually has fully three PNs and fully three EV-DO carriers. No two PN, single EV-DO carrier site here.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

I know everyone wants me to get PN in here somehow, but I can't seem to find where they hide the damn thing! :) While I'm discussing it, do the Engineering screens typically express it in hex or decimal? I've never seen letters in any of the PNs I have seen, but then again I'm not usually paying attention to it.

AJ, I saw your screen caps, and looked at some of my own, but can't seem to determine if there is a way to do math on the Sector ID to come up with the PN.. let me know if you figure out the magic.

-Mike

I guess you want me to go circumnavigate my local Sprint site, since I have one that actually has fully three PNs and fully three EV-DO carriers. No two PN, single EV-DO carrier site here.

I don't have my sticky notes anymore on this but I had the patterns for my site downtown as I was trying to NEG my broken channel 100 carrier downtown in the PRL. I was never successful though.

Snip of EVDO Assn records showing the same sector ID style:

PRLSnip.JPG

Geek trivia... and AJ can't play! What's the significance of 0084:0AC0 to Sprint?

Hmm, the sector ID is 128 bit. That is a lot of bits.

AJ