HTC One preview thread (was "Any M7 takers?")

Feech

Have you ever listened to the Android Central podcast? Phil is probably the worst guy there for understanding the technology side of Android. If someone who is an iOS fan like me can understand the technical end of Android better than him, that's a problem. It's a shame because there are smart people over there, like Alex Dobie and Jerry Hildenbrand. Nickinson should be writing for iMore instead.

Someone over on XDA was given a One ahead of the launch and was nice enough to start a thread asking people if they had any questions:

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2228412

I went ahead and posted this:

Can you try the following dialer codes to see if they work?

##DEBUG# (##33284#)

##DATA# (##3282#)

*#*#INFO#*#* (*#*#4636#*#*)

If DEBUG works, can you see if there is an “LTE Engineering” menu to view the RSRP/RSRQ values? These values are also in the “Phone information” menu if the INFO code works.

If the INFO code does not work, would you mind downloading the following app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ngelow.network

Basically, it’s a shortcut to the “Phone information” menu that you would find through INFO, but if they killed the dialer code, this might be the only way to access it (assuming the menu itself is still there).

I’m sorry, I know this is kind of a lot, but a lot of people are going to be eager to find out if they can use this phone for field testing to see if it’s a better RF performer than the EVO LTE. Thanks in advance!

To which he responded:

Yes i will attach a screenshot they all worked.

See his post for screenshots:

http://forum.xda-dev...77&postcount=21

Unfortunately, he is not in an area where Sprint has rolled out LTE yet, so we can’t really compare anything at this time.

• Like 3

Come on, I live in atlanta and I am averaging about twice what he is claiming. Besides, running speedtests at the airport probably won't give you the best results anyway, after all hartsfield jackson is the worlds busiest airport which averages a quarter million passengers every single day.

A few weeks ago at that airport, I only found 4g on the plane, it was 3g everywhere else, pretty unusable.

I didn't leave the airport do I don't know how it was in the city, which is miles away.

Someone over on XDA was given a One ahead of the launch and was nice enough to start a thread asking people if they had any questions:

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2228412

I went ahead and posted this:

To which he responded:

See his post for screenshots:

http://forum.xda-dev...77&postcount=21

Unfortunately, he is not in an area where Sprint has rolled out LTE yet, so we can’t really compare anything at this time.

##DEBUG# works on the Sprint HTC One.

Edit - Nevermind I seen your reply about the screenshots.

##DEBUG# works on the Sprint HTC One.

Edit - Nevermind I seen your reply about the screenshots.

Oh, I totally forgot to mention that my post was more to just confirm/reinforce what was said a couple days ago in this (your) post:

I got Dana Wollman from Engadget (review: http://www.engadget....-sprint-review/) to confirm the Sprint HTC One does have the engineering screens.

80861842.png

Edit- I do hope they had a final build unit and all retail units will still have the engineering screens.

Sorry, I posted hastily.

Oh, I totally forgot to mention that my post was more to just confirm/reinforce what was said a couple days ago in this (your) post:

Sorry, I posted hastily.

no worries its all good. Im glad the other codes are working too!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Guys, let us just hope that both the Engadget reviewer and XDA poster have finalized firmware and that the engineering screens, etc., are not pulled from the final ROM.

AJ

• Like 1

The AndroidCentral and Engadget units said "print" and not "Sprint" at the top. Engadget said that was prerelease firmware since the battery wasn't doing too well either (altho that could be more Sprint's fault depending on the area they're in).

Michael Fisher's review at Pocketnow also had the "print" instead of Sprint for the network name on his One review unit which was on Sprint. He also had issues keeping LTE indoors, which could be due to the 1900 PCS frequencies, the fact that only about half of Boston sites are done, or the OK but not great RF on the one.

A few weeks ago at that airport, I only found 4g on the plane, it was 3g everywhere else, pretty unusable.

I didn't leave the airport do I don't know how it was in the city, which is miles away.

Like what AJ said, there are a couple towers that still aren't complete around the airport area. Every where else in atlanta(at least the areas I frequent) has consistent lte coverage and thats both on my gnex and my evo and the speeds are decent with it averaging around 10 to 12 mbps.

• Like 1

Michael Fisher's review at Pocketnow also had the "print" instead of Sprint for the network name on his One review unit which was on Sprint. He also had issues keeping LTE indoors, which could be due to the 1900 PCS frequencies, the fact that only about half of Boston sites are done, or the OK but not great RF on the one.

Maybe we shouldn't shoot the messenger, the One might not be the best RF performer, sigh.

...or the OK but not great RF on the one.

Maybe we shouldn't shoot the messenger, the One might not be the best RF performer, sigh.

If the HTC One is not a solid RF performer on Sprint, then I give up.

If so, there is something wrong with HTC and/or Sprint because the One has the makings of an RF champ. The ERP/EIRP is there, and the dual, actively tuned antenna system is something that no other current Android handset can match.

But, mostly, I cannot, just cannot deal with chintzy Samsung plastic...

AJ

• Like 5

If the HTC One is not a solid RF performer on Sprint, then I give up.

If so, there is something wrong with HTC and/or Sprint because the One has the makings of an RF champ. The ERP/EIRP is there, and the dual, actively tuned antenna system is something that no other current Android handset can match.

But, mostly, I cannot, just cannot deal with chintzy Samsung plastic...

AJ

Here here!

• Like 1

Don't get me started. Stupid sprint marketing people officially launch the Boston market with about 15% of the actual sites upgraded. It drives me bonkers. Sprint needs to stop fake launching markets, just makes them look bad.

• Like 1

Don't get me started. Stupid sprint marketing people officially launch the Boston market with about 15% of the actual sites upgraded. It drives me bonkers. Sprint needs to stop fake launching markets, just makes them look bad.

I'd rather just see Sprint officially announce markets when they're 100% complete. :)

I'd rather just see Sprint officially announce markets when they're 100% complete. :)

Then, other people would complain, "I can't believe that T-Mobile launched LTE in 'market X' before Sprint did! What a joke!" or "VZW has had LTE in 'market Y' for two years, and I'm still waiting on the WiMAX that Sprint 'promised' me three years ago. Sprint sux!"

Yes, folks, these kinds of exclamations are representative of an unfortunately significant segment of Sprint subs. Honestly, I do not know how these moronic people manage to navigate their daily lives.

AJ

• Like 3

Then, other people would complain, "I can't believe that T-Mobile launched LTE in 'market X' before Sprint did! What a joke!" or "VZW has had LTE in 'market Y' for two years, and I'm still waiting on the WiMAX that Sprint 'promised' me three years ago. Sprint sux!"

Yes, folks, these kinds of exclamations are representative of an unfortunately significant segment of Sprint subs. Honestly, I do not know how these moronic people manage to navigate their daily lives.

AJ

I know, but I couldn't give a flying you know what about what those people think. Sprint PR does need to do a better job explaining to consumers the nature of the total network rebuild that Sprint is doing. I think most people would understand. The complainers? That's going to happen with everything. If you're Sprint management or PR, you just have to tell those people "thanks for the input", and then go on with doing the right thing in spite of their silly complaining.

• Like 1

I know, but I couldn't give a flying you know what about what those people think. Sprint PR does need to do a better job explaining to consumers the nature of the total network rebuild that Sprint is doing. I think most people would understand. The complainers? That's going to happen with everything. If you're Sprint management or PR, you just have to tell those people "thanks for the input", and then go on with doing the right thing in spite of their silly complaining.

Sprint may see it as a calculated move. Launch markets as early as possible. Try to intrigue/placate as many of the complainers and skeptics as possible and get them to re up for two more years with an LTE device. Then, they are stuck and Sprint at least gets another two years of revenue or an ETF out of them.

AJ

AJ

I just wish they had deployed with SMR Lte from the start and avoid all of these coverage issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I probably am but couldn't they have pushed all the iDen carriers to the 900 MHz band and proceeded to deploy 800 lte from there without a nextel shutdown?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I just wish they had deployed with SMR Lte from the start and avoid all of these coverage issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I probably am but couldn't they have pushed all the iDen carriers to the 900 MHz band and proceeded to deploy 800 lte from there without a nextel shutdown?

I doubt that anyone here has the info to answer that definitively. But Sprint does have rather limited SMR 900 MHz bandwidth.

Still, feasibility was not really the issue anyway. It was permissibility. The FCC did not approve wideband operation in the SMR 800 MHz band until Network Vision was well underway.

I wrote about the proposed FCC rulemaking last spring, and it was not approved until a few months later.

http://s4gru.com/ind...band-operation/

AJ

• Like 1

Looking at the HTC One overview, it doesn't seem like Sprint's version supports WCDMA?

It would be awesome if Sprint's One was similar to HTC Droid DNA and was unlocked and supported WCDMA.

I am curious if I can take a HTC One Developer edition that supports LTE on PCS and stick a sprint SIM and get 4G? Ideally, it would be fantastic if they supported CDMA 1x as well.

"One" can dream. I'll finally be able to use "One" phone on T-Mobile and Sprint and switch at my discretion!

Edit:

It looks like it does support HSPA 14.4 on AWS and PCS but it's locked :(

Stupid sprint. How annoying.

Sprint HTC One will launch without carrier branding, clean as a newborn baby

http://phandroid.com...rrier-branding/

kckid, I too am excited about this.

By the way, Gig'em! Class of '91.

Sprint may see it as a calculated move. Launch markets as early as possible. Try to intrigue/placate as many of the complainers and skeptics as possible and get them to re up for two more years with an LTE device. Then, they are stuck and Sprint at least gets another two years of revenue or an ETF out of them.

AJ

That's exactly right AJ and know what, it works. It has worked on me for the past three years with the two Wimax phones I've had and I'm headed today to pre-order the HTC One. I negotiated with Sprintcares an upgrade fee cheaper than an ETF, so it will work on me for another two years. I will have no one to blame, but myself.

:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I am very much looking forward to jumping from a single core 1.2 Ghz bogged down by several updates to a squeaky clean quad core 1.7 Ghz (for now anyway). Actually, LTE is being deployed in my area now. Would not have know that had it not been for this amazing forum.

Peace,

DM

Edited by DavoM