Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

I decided to try out the 1x800 speed test to see how well it would perform. This is a test when I am the only one on it. I only got it with a premier prl, and the speeds topped out at the theoretical maximums. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sm3wita1jrmhld6/Screenshot_2014-01-19-16-23-11.png

Was done about 1  mile away, inside Target where I normally do not get get 1900 signal from a closer site. This was done in the far back of the store.

Does seeing 1x800 mean that there's a good chance I'll be seeing band 26?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Band 26 is an LTE band. 1x800 is CDMA for voice, minimal data, and text, I believe.

Does seeing 1x800 mean that there's a good chance I'll be seeing band 26?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're getting 1x800 signal that is -95 dBm or better, it is more likely than not that you will get band 26 LTE in that location once it is deployed.

Interesting...the first 487 we've seen!  Probably from them having to deal with SoutherLinc.

I'm sorry i forgot you were looking for that. I didn't want that tower to be lonely so I found 2 more 487. They were in nw Georgia I was going up I-75 N.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l631rtxalxz627c/Screenshot_2014-01-24-14-18-07.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/09td9aeoevwrhj5/Screenshot_2014-01-24-14-19-03.png

If you're getting 1x800 signal that is -95 dBm or better, it is more likely than not that you will get band 26 LTE in that location once it is deployed.

I was under the impression that B26 LTE wasn't going to propagate as far as CDMA 1x800, but it was definitely going to destroy B25 LTE in terms of coverage. I think I remember reading somewhere here that LTE 800 will probably only go a little bit further than CDMA 1900, so using 1x800 signal to determine how well your LTE 800 signal will be is not really accurate.

I was under the impression that B26 LTE wasn't going to propagate as far as CDMA 1x800...

All signals propagate infinitely.

AJ

• Like 1

I was under the impression that B26 LTE wasn't going to propagate as far as CDMA 1x800, but it was definitely going to destroy B25 LTE in terms of coverage. I think I remember reading somewhere here that LTE 800 will probably only go a little bit further than CDMA 1900, so using 1x800 signal to determine how well your LTE 800 signal will be is not really accurate.

Both 800 signals will go the same distance but think of it this way in layman's terms.  You have to people yelling on megaphones across a field with the same volume.  One is talking slowly and the other is talking very fast.  You could understand the one that was talking slowly farther away than you could the fast talking one.

• Like 1

All signals propagate infinitely.

AJ

Both 800 signals will go the same distance but think of it this way in layman's terms.  You have to people yelling on megaphones across a field with the same volume.  One is talking slowly and the other is talking very fast.  You could understand the one that was talking slowly farther away than you could the fast talking one.

Here's the quote I was looking for below. I found it in the Premier Sponsor's section, but I don't think it has any Premier Sponsor specific content, but I understand if it's taken down...

Remember that LTE 1900 is covering considerably less than CDMA 1900. Also LTE 800 will penetrate much better within its coverage. LTE 800 will perform as well as LTE 750. With only a 3% propagation difference. And that small amount can probably even be mitigated with a slight increase in signal power and a well performing RF device. Verizon is kind of famous for their weak performing RF. Especially the Note 3.

Sprint Band 26 should be a champ. However, I just want to remind people that because of the fragile airlink of LTE, LTE 800 will not perform like CDMA 800. But it will be way better than LTE 1900. And most importantly, it will perform like AT&T and VZW LTE in propagation.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Great... I just got technical'd by AJ :P.

What I meant was the signal strength of LTE 800 was not going to be as good as CDMA 1x800 at the same location.

That is why dmchssc used -95 dBm RSSI as the figure of merit. CDMA2000 should be usable down to about -105 dBm RSSI, but LTE is not. It is usable down to about -115 dBm RSRP, which equates to roughly -95 dBm RSSI.

Make sense?

AJ

I have a question do you think sprint will eventually prioritize CDMA 800 over 1900? Reason I ask is because I am at my bar and I know 800 is all around me but it took 3 hours to finally connect to it even though I had a -90 signal on 1900 all night.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I have a question do you think sprint will eventually prioritize CDMA 800 over 1900? Reason I ask is because I am at my bar and I know 800 is all around me but it took 3 hours to finally connect to it even though I had a -90 signal on 1900 all night.

There was no need to rescan for CDMA1X 800. Your -90 dBm CDMA1X 1900 signal is perfectly fine.

AJ

Guest DigiClaws

Anyone have an idea why the DFW area (initial LTE launch city and secondary B41 launch city) has only a few CDMA 800 sites and not a lot like Houston or Chicago? The reason I ask is because I received a text message from Sprint stating, "Over the next month the new network will be largely completed in your area making it better than ever!" Not sure what to take from that. CDMA 800 on every site? Band 41 on every site? LTE 800 on every site? Thoughts?

Anyone have an idea why the DFW area (initial LTE launch city and secondary B41 launch city) has only a few CDMA 800 sites and not a lot like Houston or Chicago? The reason I ask is because I received a text message from Sprint stating, "Over the next month the new network will be largely completed in your area making it better than ever!" Not sure what to take from that. CDMA 800 on every site? Band 41 on every site? LTE 800 on every site? Thoughts?

That text went out to almost every Sprint subscriber. Even ones who no longer live in a Sprint coverage area. The consensus is it is just marketing, and doesn't mean much. Don't get expectations up too much.

While quite a bit of work has been done in the area, the fact that the text went out to pretty much everyone means it has little to do with the actual state of your network, and has more to do with keeping subscribers. It likely has nothing to do with 1x800 or 800 LTE.

Robert got the text too.... in South Dakota ... where he's had his billing address listed for some time. Where there is no Sprint network.

There are any number of reasons why DFW doesn't have many 1x800 acceptances yet. Either crews just aren't doing that yet, Sprint can't deploy in the spectrum yet, or Ericsson is just being Ericsson.

• Like 1

I have not received any CDMA 800 acceptance reports for the DFW market since November.  So there likely has been CDMA 800 sites accepted since then.  The 3G/4G sites are posted every day.  The CDMA 800, LTE 800 and LTE 2600 site acceptances I receive on a market or region basis at infrequent/inconsistent intervals.  I never know what I'm going to get and when.  But I post what I receive after I get it.

Robert

• Like 5

I never know what I'm going to get and when.  But I post what I receive after I get it.

Like my mama used to say, "Life is like 800 MHz acceptance reports..."

AJ

• Like 3

As a Houstonian, the answer is obviously because Dallas sucks.

/just kidding.

//sort of.

• Like 2

So...I guess this whole waiting for Miami-Dade to complete before we get 800Mhz crap is still ongoing...at least we have a site to monitor progress, but it's still all dependent on government updates...:-/

http://www.dms.myflorida.com/business_operations/telecommunications/public_safety_bureau/radio_communications/800_mhz_rebanding/sof_rebanding_schedules