Network Vision/LTE - Charlotte Market

darnell89

My LTE connection at work (100 N Tryon) seems a little more consistent today. Have there been any changes downtown?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

If you became a sponsor, you could find out. ;)

The new Sprint LTE map for Charlotte pretty much matches my experience the last several months including those areas that LTE drops out on my route home.. At my previous place I lived, I would get LTE inside yet the map doesn't show that the signal strong enough to work inside.. I know these are all estimates.. I used to drive over Tyvola from I-77 towards SouthPark which they show now as in LTE network.. I never got it along that route until I got very close to the mall.. maybe they turned something on in the last few weeks since I was on that route...

I've found them to be pretty accurate as well, if not a little conservative, which is a change from the past.

My LTE connection at work (100 N Tryon) seems a little more consistent today. Have there been any changes downtown?

It's not looking better for me. I am at College and 6th. Speeds very slow today and I switched to 3g just in the cube next to mine. Usually that only happens when I go to the interior of the building.

I'm happy to report that LTE is live in Claremont, NC at site: CR03AW136. The tower location is less than ideal for serving I-40 and it's range is limited as the monopole height is quite low, however I did map it w/Sensory. It seems that 1X/EVDO is off at this tower site as I was connecting to Carolina West Wireless, which shows as native Sprint coverage. Once Sprint lights up the tower in Conover, CR03AW150, we will have contiguous LTE from Hickory through Statesville on I-40, though we will continue to have some weak spots until LTE 800 comes to fruition.

Here's a photo of the site, taken with my EVO 4G LTE. I really need to start carrying my Canon 40D with my 55-250mm lens in my car with me.

IMAG0624.jpg

• Like 1

So did anything magical happen to your coverage other than being put up on the sprint map?

Sent from my little Note2

not yet

Nothing magical happened in the concord area at least where i live. I'm stuck in the middle of an LTE dead zone, but pick it up 1/8 of a mile from every which way. EXTREMELY disappointed of sprint ???? They need to step their game up and quit being years behind technology! There should already be LTE almost everywhere 3G is by now.

Edited by Lilpon18

Launches are nothing more than a Press Release and coverage being shown on maps. The coverage the day before launch and the day after launch is the same. They still continue just turning on each site the moment it is ready.

Nothing magical happens with coverage at market launch. Coverage will continue to grow incrementally every week until the market is complete. Slowly, but surely, the gaps will close in one by one.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Nothing magical happened in the concord area at least where i live. I'm stuck in the middle of an LTE dead zone, but pick it up 1/8 of a mile from every which way. EXTREMELY disappointed of sprint They need to step their game up and quit being years behind technology! There should already be LTE almost everywhere 3G is by now.

I've got the same problem. I'm in a deadzone here in Charlotte and if you go quarter of a mile in any direction you will get LTE. :( Looking at the coverage map on Sprint's website my area has WIMAX and 3G.

Launches are nothing more than a Press Release and coverage being shown on maps. The coverage the day before launch and the day after launch is the same. They still continue just turning on each site the moment it is ready.

Nothing magical happens with coverage at market launch. Coverage will continue to grow incrementally every week until the market is complete. Slowly, but surely, the gaps will close in one by one.

not true! Dan Hesse came to my office and personally thanked me for my patience. Then he handed me a 4G tower and pressed the 'on' button.

I'm hoping we have a more massive update coming soon. It's been a little slow for the Charlotte market the last few weeks. That seems to be the trend though.

I have the opposite problem of most of you in here, I'm just BARELY within coverage of the tower that's lit up in Kannapolis. It's usually sitting at a RSRP of -110 to -115 most places in my house, give or take but even with that, I get 5-6Mb down, so I'm good until the other tower near me goes up which oddly enough is a bit further away, but my phone favors for 1X. Maybe it's pointed more directly at my neighborhood vs the closer one.

So did anything magical happen to your coverage other than being put up on the sprint map?

Well a few days later.... Stough rd and hwy 49 in Harrisburg is alive. Crews are installing what looks like NV panels and RRU @ hwy 49 and Morehead rd and near Rocky river rd & Lower rocky river rd

Well a few days later.... Stough rd and hwy 49 in Harrisburg is alive. Crews are installing what looks like NV panels and RRU @ hwy 49 and Morehead rd and near Rocky river rd & Lower rocky river rd

Which had nothing to do with the press release.

not true! Dan Hesse came to my office and personally thanked me for my patience. Then he handed me a 4G tower and pressed the 'on' button.

:lol:

I see it on Sensorly, but that particular tower at Stough & 49 must not be pointed at Harrisburg, because I was just there Tuesday and drove down Roberta / Pitts School and got nothing. I know what tower you're talking about at Morehead & Hwy 49, but I don't see that as a planned tower in the Sponsor section, although one is needed there! Trox, if you see RRUs and panels going up, take a picture or two (if you have time) and throw them up in the Sponsor section on the Reported Sightings thread and they'll help determine if it is on the Sprint equipment. I would, but I STILL haven't seen a single implementation in progress. :( I need to get some better pictures of legacy vs. AlcaLu equipment as a refresher to spot the difference in what the equipment looks like.

Which had nothing to do with the press release.

Digiblur, what are the odds (if you know) that towers that aren't in the Sponsor section get put on the map? I know of another one in Kannapolis that isn't planned, but it seems like one could REALLY go in where I'm thinking.

So if the tower at Stough & 49 isn't pointed towards Harrisburg (Roberta/ Pitts School road area), are there any plans for increased coverage in this area? The tower at 29 & pitts school doesn't seem to cover the area or the one at Stough & 49, both of these towers are in the vicinity, but don't seem to be pointed in direction to cover these areas. Kind of crazy considering that there are a lot of big neighborhoods in the area and a large high school.

Last night, I mapped 127 (and other roads) from Hickory to Bethlehem on Sensorly. The accepted towers are live, but the coverage in this hilly terrain is not very good. I sure hope LTE on 800 will fix these issues. What has me frustrated are the numerous Verizon/AT&T towers/sites located between the few locations Sprint has service. If the Softbank deal comes through, I sure hope we see Sprint co-locate on towers/sites where the competition already has service. I can't imagine the startup costs are as great as they used to be, especially with Microwave backhaul as a viable option. Sprint could also bolster the Hickory/Lenoir/Morganton areas with a purchase of Carolina West Wireless once the Softbank dust settles. :fingers:

After the official announcement some of the LTE sites have gone offline it seems. I could get LTE on I-485 from Pineville up to Mint-Hill. Also Independence Blvd from Margaret Wallace to Sardis Rd, the LTE signal is gone.

After the official announcement some of the LTE sites have gone offline it seems. I could get LTE on I-485 from Pineville up to Mint-Hill. Also Independence Blvd from Margaret Wallace to Sardis Rd, the LTE signal is gone.

I have experienced the same thing.. Live LTE sites in South Charlotte seemed to have gone dead??? I tried resetting etc.. but LTE is now gone!! Before the city was official, it was great... I wonder if there's any reason???

• 2 weeks later...
So if the tower at Stough & 49 isn't pointed towards Harrisburg (Roberta/ Pitts School road area), are there any plans for increased coverage in this area? The tower at 29 & pitts school doesn't seem to cover the area or the one at Stough & 49, both of these towers are in the vicinity, but don't seem to be pointed in direction to cover these areas. Kind of crazy considering that there are a lot of big neighborhoods in the area and a large high school.

I have only be able to identify two NV panels on that tower. One pointed in an easterly direction and the other in a southerly. I tried to go near take a few pics but a county deputy shooed me away. It's likely the other panel is on another structure but I could not figure out where.

Areas west and southwest of Stough have seen little to no impact since that tower went live. Once you travel past the entrance to Frank Liske park the signal drops from -82 to -109. And it goes in and out from there. It could be the tilt on that panel 10+ degrees

Is Asheville done being upgraded? If not, how will we know?

Are there plans to upgrade Marshall and Burnsville?

In our Sponsor section it shows maps of every Sprint market, including Asheville. You can see which sites have been upgraded and which ones are still left to be upgraded.

For more I do about how to become a S4GRU Sponsor, you can visit this link: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/