Network Vision/LTE - Charlotte Market

darnell89

It's getting worse.  I'm not getting LTE in any of the usual places I visit.  Is it my phone or others are having this problem as well?  Why are LTE sites going down?

Edited by surma884

I'm still getting LTE in all the usual places between Kannapolis, Concord, Harrisburg, and the University area of Charlotte. My problem is that nothing new has popped up in any of the gaps I still have in over a month, with the exception of the tower at Stough Rd. & 49...and that tower is not impressive for coverage by any means.

I'm still getting LTE in all the usual places between Kannapolis, Concord, Harrisburg, and the University area of Charlotte. My problem is that nothing new has popped up in any of the gaps I still have in over a month, with the exception of the tower at Stough Rd. & 49...and that tower is not impressive for coverage by any means.

I travel all over south Charlotte and a little bit of east Charlotte and I don't get LTE anywhere.  I was at Chipotle off 51 in Pineville and only picked up 3G.  I go there a lot and had LTE for the past few months.

I mapped out the rest of Hwy 73 to Albemarle on Sensorly... coverage seems kind of light, but that may just be the awesome radios on my EVO. :rolleyes:

It feels like work on the Charlotte market has gotten really stale over the last few months...I haven't seen diddly completed between Kannapolis and downtown Charlotte recently.

I drove from Hickory, NC to Gaffney, SC this weekend.  I only picked up LTE only once as I was leaving Hickory on US-321.  After that, it was 3G only the entire way.  I had Sensory mapping the entire time.

Sprint has a bunch of coverage holes on US-321 between Hickory and Gastonia.  What an nightmare.  At times, I would go into roaming.  Considering the tree density along that route, the 1900 tower spacing simply is too distant to be workable.  Full NV upgrades can't come soon enough.

I posted elsewhere -- but I went down US74 from the Whiteville to downtown -- in downtown -- then back just over a week ago.  LTE was far and few between -- had to force it when looking for it in places where I had recalled seeing it on Sensorly... Maybe it is my EVOLTE (and if that IS that case shame on HTC/Sprint on letting this happen) maybe it is the work in progress... Hoping for better coverage on my Note3 I plan to get this fall (hope it has 3 band LTE; hope LTE is live here in Myrtle by then, hope hope hope lol)....

• Like 1

Got LTE back.  Hopefully it wasn't an issue with my phone.  It seems there have been no new sites with LTE since December.  What's the deal?  At first it seemed like Charlotte would be 100% LTE by the end of 2014, but now it is more like 2015.

I just picked up an LG Optimus G, so I'm finally ready to start mapping LTE around the city. (Previously was on the NS4G.) But I agree it feels like Sprint gave up on this market

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

I think all this spottie LTE is the same old Sprint crap will be so glad to go to US Cellular it almost like they are saying you got it and now you dont what you going to do  They will see

I think all this spottie LTE is the same old Sprint crap will be so glad to go to US Cellular it almost like they are saying you got it and now you dont what you going to do They will see

What are you babbling about? Your post makes almost no sense except you're ranting. Rants are against our posting guidelines: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1197-s4gru-posting-guidelines-aka-the-rulez/

The Charlotte market is nowhere near complete. Sprint is allowing early access. Of course it's spotty. Kind of like your punctuation. The market is only 52% complete with LTE: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-network-visionlte-deployment-running-list/page-2&do=findComment&comment=22589

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 4

I've been to the Charlotte market 3 times in the month of may. Sprint LTE was marvelous there. Almost everywhere I went I was getting over 20 down and sub 50ms pings almost everywhere! Charlotte is an LTE wonderland!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Check Mecklenberg county (or Gaston, Cabarrus, Union, York or other adjacent counties) permit site for new permits or holds. In NE Meck county I found 2 new permits issued in the last 5 months and 2 holds. Also found one hold in Mt Pleasant, NC. The holds appear to be bureaucratic red tape.

Coordinate your search with the the interactive maps in the sponsor section and U'll have better a perspective.....

I just picked up an LG Optimus G, so I'm finally ready to start mapping LTE around the city. (Previously was on the NS4G.) But I agree it feels like Sprint gave up on this market

I think AT&T force Sprint's hand. They launched a major 4G advertizing blitz on local radio, tv, busses, news papers and college campuses about two weeks before Sprint announced the Charlotte market. I have heard one of those commercials twice since turning on the radio this morning. As I recall they also announced additional markets around the same time.

The Charlotte market is nowhere near complete. Sprint is allowing early access. Of course it's spotty. Kind of like your punctuation. The market is only 52% complete with LTE: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-network-visionlte-deployment-running-list/page-2&do=findComment&comment=22589

I'd love to know what is holding up the tower in Conover, NC.  It's the only hold out along I-40 between Hickory and Statesville.  I can see the tower from my house and no work has been on the tower itself, yet the Catawba County permit has been approved since March and modified again in May.  Getting anxious for NV. :)

I think AT&T force Sprint's hand. They launched a major 4G advertizing blitz on local radio, tv, busses, news papers and college campuses about two weeks before Sprint announced the Charlotte market. I have heard one of those commercials twice since turning on the radio this morning. As I recall they also announced additional markets around the same time.

Well, Charlotte was supposed to be a second-round market like Austin. And the delay from the announcement of "LTE will roll out in the coming months" to the official (partial) launch took a while. I think they have indeed fallen behind their intended schedule, but not anything they publicized.

My greater concern for Charlotte is site density. The premise of Network Vision is that bringing LTE to every tower should allow Sprint to be competitive with VZW and ATT's low-frequency LTE networks because their towers are already spaced for PCS coverage. But in fact their are gaps in 3G coverage in this city in many populated, well-traveled areas. I worry that this may not improve until LTE-800 is turned on.

But in fact their are gaps in 3G coverage in this city in many populated, well-traveled areas. I worry that this may not improve until LTE-800 is turned on.

Yea, LTE 800 will be needed in a place like Charlotte for long term. LTE 1900 is just a bridge to get you to usable data in most places you go. Sprint will not be fully competitive until LTE 800 is in place. But it's starting now and will be much faster to deploy on in place NV sites.

• Like 2

Yea, LTE 800 will be needed in a place like Charlotte for long term. LTE 1900 is just a bridge to get you to usable data in most places you go. Sprint will not be fully competitive until LTE 800 is in place. But it's starting now and will be much faster to deploy on in place NV sites.

LTE 800 is already starting in the Charlotte market or are you generalizing? Wasn't sure either way. Charlotte sure has stalled lately... I'm hoping for a Big Bang week. :)

• Like 1

LTE 800 is already starting in the Charlotte market or are you generalizing? Wasn't sure either way. Charlotte sure has stalled lately... I'm hoping for a Big Bang week. :)

I think what robert is referring to is that most NV build sites already deployed have LTE 800 equipment installed on it already and ready to be fired up once iDEN airwaves is shutdown. Some provisioning and testing at the base station will be needed and sprint can fire up LTE 800 quickly on those NV completed sites nationwide.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Are the folks reporting LTE issues in some areas around CLT still having issues? For me, it seems LTE has disappeared. I work off Sardis, near Independance, and travel daily back home thru Pineville. I had been getting great, solid LTE signals on my Evo LTE, and now One...even before the "official" CLT announcement. Now, in the last two weeks, I can't seem to get or keep a 4G signal nearly anywhere. Occasionally if I restart the phone, it will briefly show a 4G connection, but as soon as something tries to access data, it immediately switches to 3G.

I even tried calling Sprint and having my phone re-provisioned to see if that made any difference. (It didn't) SO...has something gone crazy on my One, or are there really issues popping in the CLT LTE network of late?

Good: I got 23 down at Sharon Amity & Independence this morning.

Bad: still can't stream anything consistently on my commute, no LTE uptown & weak 3G, and no coverage at all in my neighborhood (Sardis Forest area).

As everyone says, coverage and consistency are far more important than speed, and Sprint just does not have the city covered at this point. I am hoping to see the NV activity pick up, but they are hitting 1-3 sites per week since the official launch, usually LTE only, and nothing is happening within the city limits as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

Are the folks reporting LTE issues in some areas around CLT still having issues? For me, it seems LTE has disappeared. I work off Sardis, near Independance, and travel daily back home thru Pineville. I had been getting great, solid LTE signals on my Evo LTE, and now One...even before the "official" CLT announcement. Now, in the last two weeks, I can't seem to get or keep a 4G signal nearly anywhere. Occasionally if I restart the phone, it will briefly show a 4G connection, but as soon as something tries to access data, it immediately switches to 3G.

I even tried calling Sprint and having my phone re-provisioned to see if that made any difference. (It didn't) SO...has something gone crazy on my One, or are there really issues popping in the CLT LTE network of late?

I'm getting LTE now.  I was just at Sardis/Independence at the new Discount Tire store and I was getting full bars with LTE.  I got 20Mbps down and 5Mbps up.  Also I'm getting LTE at work so it seems they turned on a tower close to my work which is good news.  Try to wait it out a few days and maybe restart your phone every now and then.

I'm getting LTE now.  I was just at Sardis/Independence at the new Discount Tire store and I was getting full bars with LTE.  I got 20Mbps down and 5Mbps up.  Also I'm getting LTE at work so it seems they turned on a tower close to my work which is good news.  Try to wait it out a few days and maybe restart your phone every now and then.

OK...thanks for posting w/ your results. Perhaps it is my phone. I'm less than a mile from there, and still little or no LTE this morning. This morning it actually showed 4G lit up briefly, but when I ran a speed test, it floated around 200k down, stopped, and switched back to 3G again. Once it registered being back on 3G, the speed test actually increased to a whopping 400k. Been 3G ever since. Before this started happening, I was seeing 4-8Mbps down inside my office consistently.

LTE Is very sporadic in Charlotte right now certain areas that had LTE a few months ago seems to not be working. I have even noticed that onr day LTE will be on in one location and the next day its on 3g very strange.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2