Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

I was there earlier tonight. Tried to map but it claimed it mapped 0 points or something for 2G, 3G and 4G. It's possible it didn't work correctly.  :(

Most likely GPS was't working correctly or low battery  ;)

Found another site with 2 data speed upgrades. This one is in downtown on Ash/10th. If someone is in downtown, please see if there is any LTE broadcasting there.

Site with 2 data speed upgrades on Pacific Highway/Ash hasn't been mapped. Sponsor map shows 4G LTE at that site.

I was near Ash and 10th last night and didn't see any 4G. I wasn't really looking, though.

Check out the sprint.com coverage maps.  If you see 2 data speed upgrades, it is most likely a site with LTE. I haven't been proven wrong yet!  All 2 data speed upgrades shows 4G LTE on sponsors map.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4236-2-data-speed-upgrades-on-httpnetworksprintcom-are-lte-sites/

I didn't have any data issues at work in Encinitas all day, but had data issues when I arrived home in Oceanside. I was listening to Pandora on way home, got off Oside Blvd from the 5, and data goes out. Tried to update PRL, and got error code 602. This happened around 7:40ish pm. Got home, and still getting the same thing. Even restarted my phone a couple of times and still got the same error. Connected to WiFi, and it updated. When using the network only without WiFi, I've been getting awful signals, and super slow 3G speeds. So slow, speed tests stalls, and doesn't finish the test.

There is a Sprint monopole that's down the street in front of a golf course on Douglas Dr. As soon as I get on that street, I get excellent 3G speeds and signal strength, including the nearby housing areas, but as for my location that's by these homes and streets no more than 2 blocks, its awful! Here's examples I took screenshots of to show comparisons. BSLs seems like it switches back and forth every min from what I've noticed at home. Why is this happening? I called Sprint this past Sun about it, spoke to a tech that looked into the issue, and he said he see that Douglas Dr monopole at the golf course running at optimal performance. Then he says he can't figure out why I'm getting bad signals and data when I'm pretty much near the thing, and then he said it could be the radio/antenna in my S3 that might be checked out and repaired, because I shouldn't be getting bad signals and connections according to him. Any thoughts?

Screenshot_2013-07-16-17-45-18.png

Screenshot_2013-07-16-17-44-11.png

Screenshot_2013-07-16-18-02-27.png

Screenshot_2013-07-16-17-53-40.png

Hi - I'm in the Talmadge (i.e. about 2 miles from I-8/I-15 intersection) area, and for the last THREE weeks I've been getting dropped calls on nearly every call.  Now for the last few days, I'm also getting problems sending standard text messages.

Calls to Sprint said "We'll fix it in 2 days," and now updated to, "There are 2 cell towers out and we don't have an ETA on the fix." 

Also heard/was told that the Nextel towers were to blame for not having any 4G/LTE in San Diego yet, and were being shut off at end of June, then was told they are on IDEN vs CDMA/LTE technology and this was not a factor at all.

Lots of alphabet soup, contradictions and excuses. 

Maybe I should be happy they are saying they don't know, but hell, then I shouldn't be paying for services NOT rendered, either.

Anyone else have info/data to share on this aspect?

Edited by droppedcall

Is this Sprint's? Looks like a portable tower on the roof of the Hilton parking structure next to the Convention Center. Sorry for the horrible picture quality.

IMAG0035.jpg

Clairemont getting pretty good speeds. Getting average over 30Mbps. Getting 38Mbps peak on different speed test servers!

Screenshot_2013-07-20-14-05-14.png

Screenshot_2013-07-20-14-03-36.png

hi all, if someone has a good pic of one of the new 4G antenna's to show what they look like that would be great

Clairemont Sqaure on TJ Max roof.

IMAG0081_BURST002_COVER.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

Hi - I'm in the Talmadge (i.e. about 2 miles from I-8/I-15 intersection) area, and for the last THREE weeks I've been getting dropped calls on nearly every call.  Now for the last few days, I'm also getting problems sending standard text messages.

Calls to Sprint said "We'll fix it in 2 days," and now updated to, "There are 2 cell towers out and we don't have an ETA on the fix." 

Also heard/was told that the Nextel towers were to blame for not having any 4G/LTE in San Diego yet, and were being shut off at end of June, then was told they are on IDEN vs CDMA/LTE technology and this was not a factor at all.

Maybe I should be happy they are saying they don't know, but hell, then I shouldn't be paying for services NOT rendered, either.

There are several situations that could be causing your issue. 

Let's start with what it is not. It has nothing to do with Nextel, for one that network is gone, and was operating on a different frequency. Additionally, Sprint is not able to deploy on the SMR (old nextel) channels in your area until the agreement with Mexico is finalized. 

It could be that there are towers down in the region. Why there is no ETA, that's a little strange. If it has truly been a hassle, you should be able to get a credit on your account, as services have not been rendered properly.

It could also be that a couple towers nearby have been upgraded to NV standards, but some others have not, and are not playing nice. Not handing off properly to each other. This is not uncommon as NV upgrades are going, though Sprint has been taking steps to try and mitigate the issue. Again, if you feel it has cause a lot of trouble, you can always call and see if they can credit your account for the trouble. 

Also note, that this site does not host rants against Sprint. Not because this is a fan site, rather we want to keep the information relevant, and of a positive note. Criticism of Sprint is fine so long as it is based on experiences, not feelings, and does not devolve into a rant. 

With that said, there is a ton of valuable information on this site, I hope you find some of it helpful! 

:welc: to S4GRU and don't hesitate if you have further questions! 

Had encountered same experience dropping every calls.  It was during NV upgrade from a nearby tower.  What you can do is find out which tower your connected to, call Sprint and give them the site ID from the sponsors map.  3 weeks seems too long, mine lasted 1 week, after several calls to Sprint it was fixed.

Also, Sprint customer service cannot fix this issue, it has to be escalated to a trouble call to a different department that will look into this issue.

This thread will show you what Sprint's NV equipment will look like in your area: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3915-how-to-spot-sprint-antennas-and-rrus-alcatel-lucent-style/

Dkoellerwx, need your help and expertise here in the link http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2144-network-visionlte-san-diego-market/?p=161844  Is this Sprint, or another carrier in the first 13 pics? A couple of us have been wondering since I took these.

I feel your Talmadge pain.  I live there and service has gone downhill over the last few months.  This isn't a Sprint bash, just saying what I've experienced.  The tower at Colwood and ECB was upgraded and is putting out LTE, but the site that serves much of Talmadge and Talmadge proper is at Monroe and Estrella (3G NV done).  There are other cell sites in the area and Sprint has been having many problems with them, including Monroe/Estrella (I've spoken with Sprint multiple times about it, and not just the CS reps).  For a while 3G speeds got considerably better but voice went South pretty quick - it got to the point where I couldn't use my phone inside my house (North of Adams) and even outside I had one bar, maybe two at best.  I received many of the same responses you did from Sprint as well as "the problem has been fixed...wait, no, we are mistaken".  Eventually things will be good, I'm certain of that, but I jumped over to Big Red for cell service.  I rely on cell phones and things became not only unacceptable but unsusable to me in Talmadge and with too many dropped calls elsewhere.

Sprint did handle my complaints and credit requests very well and I might come back some day when NV is complete if unlimited data is still around.

It is! I've never seen a site set up like that. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see some other shots of it!

Mainly the way they mounted the RRUs and the antennas they're connected to.

Cool. What's even more interesting, I looked at the Sponsor map a couple days ago, and noticed a Sprint 3G site just a couple of blocks away, south of this site, which isn't on the map. I can go back to the area, and get more pics of this. Once I do, I'll post them here.

Cool. What's even more interesting, I looked at the Sponsor map a couple days ago, and noticed a Sprint 3G site just a couple of blocks away, south of this site, which isn't on the map. I can go back to the area, and get more pics of this. Once I do, I'll post them here.

That is not a Sprint site. That is a clearwire wimax site with Samsung RRUs. 

Ahhhh..... That's what got me. Something seemed off. I couldn't see the antennas well enough ,but the RRUs... dang it.

Damn! It was an interesting setup though.

I feel your Talmadge pain.  I live there and service has gone downhill over the last few months.  This isn't a Sprint bash, just saying what I've experienced.  The tower at Colwood and ECB was upgraded and is putting out LTE, but the site that serves much of Talmadge and Talmadge proper is at Monroe and Estrella (3G NV done).  There are other cell sites in the area and Sprint has been having many problems with them, including Monroe/Estrella (I've spoken with Sprint multiple times about it, and not just the CS reps).  For a while 3G speeds got considerably better but voice went South pretty quick - it got to the point where I couldn't use my phone inside my house (North of Adams) and even outside I had one bar, maybe two at best.  I received many of the same responses you did from Sprint as well as "the problem has been fixed...wait, no, we are mistaken".  Eventually things will be good, I'm certain of that, but I jumped over to Big Red for cell service.  I rely on cell phones and things became not only unacceptable but unsusable to me in Talmadge and with too many dropped calls elsewhere.

Sprint did handle my complaints and credit requests very well and I might come back some day when NV is complete if unlimited data is still around.

Isn't this the site where the new YMCA being built?  I know there is one that used to be on the parking structure of the dealership and was demolished. They put up a temporary site there.