Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

I feel your Talmadge pain.  I live there and service has gone downhill over the last few months.  This isn't a Sprint bash, just saying what I've experienced.  The tower at Colwood and ECB was upgraded and is putting out LTE, but the site that serves much of Talmadge and Talmadge proper is at Monroe and Estrella (3G NV done).  There are other cell sites in the area and Sprint has been having many problems with them, including Monroe/Estrella (I've spoken with Sprint multiple times about it, and not just the CS reps).  For a while 3G speeds got considerably better but voice went South pretty quick - it got to the point where I couldn't use my phone inside my house (North of Adams) and even outside I had one bar, maybe two at best.  I received many of the same responses you did from Sprint as well as "the problem has been fixed...wait, no, we are mistaken".  Eventually things will be good, I'm certain of that, but I jumped over to Big Red for cell service.  I rely on cell phones and things became not only unacceptable but unsusable to me in Talmadge and with too many dropped calls elsewhere.

Sprint did handle my complaints and credit requests very well and I might come back some day when NV is complete if unlimited data is still around.

If it is a 3G NV accepted site, it is most likely still going through the legacy core that is causing all the drop calls.  Sprint needs to hurry up and turn up the back-haul at that site and route the calls through the new Sprint core.

How do you report a problem?  Looked all over the Sprint website and can't find a way.

I have 4G.  I'm near a tower that has 2 speed upgrade.  Data works fine (although I'm not sure how fast it is, the 4G symbol is on).   The problem is my Galaxy S3 can't make or receive phone calls.  Works fine in other parts of the city.

How do you report a problem?  Looked all over the Sprint website and can't find a way.

I have 4G.  I'm near a tower that has 2 speed upgrade.  Data works fine (although I'm not sure how fast it is, the 4G symbol is on).   The problem is my Galaxy S3 can't make or receive phone calls.  Works fine in other parts of the city.

Might try calling Sprint from another phone. If you have no other phone, you can use Google Talk's VoIP functionality in a pinch.

Any luck with a PRL update or phone reset?

None. Speaking of PRL, been having issues lately. I spoke with a Sprint tech again this morning about it, and all he told me to do was to change the network modes, and that may resolve the issue. I don't think that was the case especially getting these responses in link. I will go to a Sprint store today and have repair techs check my phone out.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4286-prl-602-error/

All of North County is still on Rev A. Is the rest of San Diego the same?

Folks in Clairemont area will get LTE soon.  This site is next to the Kaiser office on Clairemont Mesa Blvd.  Have a good feeling the crew that is digging up the street will go to the site on Clairemont Square and dig up that street to make way for fiber.

Digging the street to the closes AT&T fiber box.  It is approximately 100 yards away.  This one must be very expensive to do.

qOYbSDml.jpg

TAyCcJol.jpgAMiF84Cl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My phone picked up LTE inside work for a minute or so before dropping back to eHRPD. However, when I walked outside I could consistently pick up LTE!  :D  I work off Scranton Rd. in Sorrento Valley.

Just an update to you all in San Diego, progress is still being made!

In the last week or so, there have been 18 new LTE upgrades!

Things did slow down for a bit, but seem to have picked up again.

Seems like AT&T, Cox and Time Warner are busy getting the back-haul up and running.  Spoke to a Cox Engineer that does survey for many of the sites for fiber installation, many of the delay are getting permits from City of San Diego to dig up the streets when needed.  He said most Sprint cell sites, many of the work are pre-done by Sprint such as electrical work and conduits to MPOE which speeds up the process.

My personal opinion, I think there are possibly hardware shortages or man power shortages because I know of few sites that AT&T had delivered fiber months ago for Sprint, but currently no work in progress other than electrical work completed.  

Seems like AT&T, Cox and Time Warner are busy getting the back-haul up and running.  Spoke to a Cox Engineer that does survey for many of the sites for fiber, many of the delay are getting permits from City of San Diego to dig up the streets when needed.

It's weird to me that they still have to dig up the street. I've seen AT&T trucks around with manhole covers off and workers underground. Is that for something else?

It's weird to me that they still have to dig up the street. I've seen AT&T trucks around with manhole covers off and workers underground. Is that for something else?

That engineer from Cox said if there was no existing fiber to the site with no conduit they have to trench from the street or to closes fiber at that site.  Most of Sprint's cell sites are on roof tops.  If there's no fiber to building, they have to build way for it.  To build way for it, they gotta hit up Major Filner.  With his sexual harassment case on going, more delays!

Here is a build from Time Warner on Post# 910. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2144-network-visionlte-san-diego-market/?p=176560 with similar situation, no fiber to the building.

That site has all new NV gear installed and 3G completed.  We are waiting on Time Warner and AT&T so 4G LTE can go live!

Most sites in Clairemont are completed, just waiting on that fiber back haul to go live!

Seems like AT&T, Cox and Time Warner are busy getting the back-haul up and running.  Spoke to a Cox Engineer that does survey for many of the sites for fiber installation, many of the delay are getting permits from City of San Diego to dig up the streets when needed.  He said most Sprint cell sites, many of the work are pre-done by Sprint such as electrical work and conduits to MPOE which speeds up the process. My personal opinion, I think there are possibly hardware shortages or man power shortages because I know of few sites that AT&T had delivered fiber months ago for Sprint, but currently no work in progress other than electrical work completed.

I've also been Cox trucks at a couple of Oceanside Sprint sites at work these past 2 weeks, working on cabinets along streets. These cabinets are ATT labeled.

Here is a site that gotten approval for Downtown San Diego.  Meeting on 8/15/13.  http://www.sandiego.gov/planning-commission/pdf/pcreports/2013/pc13097.pdf

Imagine how long it takes for each site to get approved before each NV build.  Imagine the whole process.  Now once they install the new NV gear and accept the 3G portion, what if this building has no fiber?

Now imagine how long it takes just to get back haul. Cox/AT&T has to apply for permits from the city and imagine that process.

Geez this goes on and on, but knowing how much has been done in 1 year in San Diego, all I can say is Sprint is doing a great job! :tu:

• Like 1

BTW, spoke to Sprint cust svc and this time apparently got a knowledgeable rep.  She said from her "tool" she can see 338 (or was it 388?) towers being actively worked on, but that realistically, it's going to be a few more months before our market goes 4G everywhere.

This was a refreshing bit of honesty.  When I was in Best Buy a few months back, a Sprint rep (from the corp office, not just a sales rep) said they were working on towers everywhere and we'd be getting text messages in mid-July indicating the roll-out. 

Bucdenny:Thanks for spelling out all the process with licensing/permits for back-haul, etc.  It would seem that any cellular org of this size would already be familiar with the processes for each city and would have been prepared for the red tape, backlog/backhaul issues and would have planned accordingly. 

Not bashing, just observing... I had a 4g-capable phone 2+ yrs ago on my first contract and never had 4g locally the entire two years... but thanks to educational posts about NV in this forum, I renewed and upgraded the phone. Here's to 4g in 3 months, eh?

That's one's near my house (and what my phone seems to lock onto 75% of the time). :D I'm guessing the permits got approved since that was back in June.

Drive by and check out the site.  See if there has been any work done.  If you see new electrical and conduits next to the existing cabinet they are ready for the new NV cabinets.

Sprint has been planning this since 2011 and many cities already over 90% complete.  San Diego has been worked on since 4th quarter 2012.  

I had the original EVO and now the new EVO.  4G came slowly but we know it will eventually be covering the entire Sprint 3G footprint.  Just give it few more months, San Diego will have more 4G sites up.

Just in the past 2 days 7 LTE sites went live in San Diego... check this out:   http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3913-network-vision-site-acceptance-report-updates/?p=184638

BTW, spoke to Sprint cust svc and this time apparently got a knowledgeable rep.  She said from her "tool" she can see 338 (or was it 388?) towers being actively worked on, but that realistically, it's going to be a few more months before our market goes 4G everywhere.

This was a refreshing bit of honesty.  When I was in Best Buy a few months back, a Sprint rep (from the corp office, not just a sales rep) said they were working on towers everywhere and we'd be getting text messages in mid-July indicating the roll-out. 

Bucdenny:Thanks for spelling out all the process with licensing/permits for back-haul, etc.  It would seem that any cellular org of this size would already be familiar with the processes for each city and would have been prepared for the red tape, backlog/backhaul issues and would have planned accordingly. 

Not bashing, just observing... I had a 4g-capable phone 2+ yrs ago on my first contract and never had 4g locally the entire two years... but thanks to educational posts about NV in this forum, I renewed and upgraded the phone. Here's to 4g in 3 months, eh?

Getting back haul is not a 1-2 month process.  Many site may require build out and can take up to a year.  San Diego already has many sites with 4G completed, it is coming along and many 3G completed sites.  Those sites are just waiting on the back haul for 4G which is OUT of Sprint's control.

Permit process had begun in 2012 and first work didn't start until 4th Quarter 2012.  NV 3G/4G hardware upgrades is close to 50% completed throughout San Diego, but only around 25% of the sites is 4G with fiber back hual.  Hopefully by end of the year San Diego will have at least 80% 3G/4G hardware installed and 60% 4G sites with fiber back haul throughout the city.

Drive by and check out the site.  See if there has been any work done.  If you see new electrical and conduits next to the existing cabinet they are ready for the new NV cabinets.

Sprint has been planning this since 2011 and many cities already over 90% complete.  San Diego has been worked on since 4th quarter 2012.  

I had the original EVO and now the new EVO.  4G came slowly but we know it will eventually be covering the entire Sprint 3G footprint.  Just give it few more months, San Diego will have more 4G sites up.

Just in the past 2 days 7 LTE sites went live in San Diego... check this out:   http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3913-network-vision-site-acceptance-report-updates/?p=184638

That building is the AT&T central office around here. The equipment is most likely inside and would not be accessible or even visible from the street. But I'll definitely see if I see new panels next time I drive by there.

Since posting this http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2144-network-visionlte-san-diego-market/?p=171368 in July with horrible service at home, things got waaaaaay better! All week without using WiFi here and there, 3G speeds are much faster! Been getting anywhere from 1.08-1.55 down, and anywhere from 0.60-1.02 up.

I checked out sensorly and noticed some mapped LTE spots in my neck of the woods (Oceanside 92057)! I know where these sites are located, and will check out the sites sometime today. I've also noticed a nice chunk of the 76 (San Luis Rey Express Way) passing Guajome was mapped. I'm not too far from that either. There is a site at that park that has 2 artificial trees http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4180-collection-of-disguised-cell-phone-tower-photos/?p=166143 I've seen work vans in the parking lot, with 3 workers going in and out a gated area where the cabinets are located about a week and half ago.

http://db.tt/f7iogDOp

I've also seen some new equipment over San Marcos High School mounted on their football field stadium lights, while the entire school is near completion of being remodeled, on the corner of Rancho Santa Fe Rd/W San Marcos Blvd.