Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

And San Diego is not getting 800Mhz anytime soon which cannot cover the gap. 4G coverage has not improved for the past 3-6 months.  They need to hurry up with the 4G coverage.

Voice hasn't been so great lately, getting too many drop calls.  Pre-NV we rarely drop calls, now today when driving cannot even hold on a call.

They just turned LTE on for a few towers near work. The issue has always been AT&T, etc. dragging things out.

And San Diego is not getting 800Mhz anytime soon which cannot cover the gap. 4G coverage has not improved for the past 3-6 months.  They need to hurry up with the 4G coverage.

Voice hasn't been so great lately, getting too many drop calls.  Pre-NV we rarely drop calls, now today when driving cannot even hold on a call.

Yeah, I don't know why people are so excited for the first tri-band LTE phone because it will be long obsolete before Sprint gets it up and running.

Yeah, I don't know why people are so excited for the first tri-band LTE phone because it will be long obsolete before Sprint gets it up and running.

Some of us travel often to places not in the IBEZ.  ;)

I was going to ask how far the IBEZ zone is, but a quick search gave me this result http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3627-sprint-or-tmobile/page-7

IBEZ looks like all of SD and OC?  I just assumed maybe to the 905 but was shocked.   

…and I dropped a call just now. There's one legacy tower in the middle of a bunch of 3G updated ones, so that might have something to do with it. I thought Alcatel-Lucent equipment was supposed to hand off to legacy fairly well?

I can't remember the last time that I dropped a call, but that's probably because I make very few of them.

The data definitely seems more consistent. I work near Palomar Airport, and commute home to University City. I stream hockey games through my phone, and haven't since July. Back then, I'd drop the stream quite a bit. Now it only happens once or twice at most per trip.

Qualcomm's backyard(well maybe only the 4 or so buildings there plus homes.com and samsung with all the other players on mira mesa and scranton) should have some pretty awesome service... but yesterday calls were delayed then incompleting and data below 100s if could get any at all, contacted my liason at dan.com and says no outages, will advise tech team to review. Hmmmmph.

Can some of you gurus tell me what I am looking at here?  

This is in San Diego and is right next to some current telecommunications construction in Mission Bay Park.   There has been an ongoing trenching and construction project for the last month which might well be to bring fiber to the Sprint site on the Hayatt hotel .  In what seemed like overnight, these 2 sites located on brand new street lights appeared.  I'm fairly sure that one of them is Verizon but would appreciate feedback about what I am looking at here.  I'm trying to figure this out.  I'm guessing that some other carriers are taking advantage of the fiber backhaul that Sprint is bringing to the area.

Site 1

DSCN0283.JPG

DSCN0287.JPG

Construction Project with Hayatt in the background...

DSCN0294.JPG

Some crazy close-ups you got there... 

Pleasantly surprised to see 4G in Julian. I paid my respect by ensuring I mapped out the corn maze. I got the maze right in my first try so if you get lost, just look up the sensorly route.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Here's a 3G site (dropbox link), that's 3 blocks from where I live over at the Golf Course on Douglas in Oceanside. The last time I made a comment or 2, I was mentioning the awful service I was getting at home for weeks. The reason to that was Sprint crews was working on 2 other sites south of where I live, and lit up LTE at El Camino Real/Mission Ave/Los Alboritos Blvd/Fireside/76 hwy that I mapped a couple weeks ago.

As for this site, I'm excited! Finally! This backside location of Douglas that meets up with Vandegrift Blvd near the back gate of Camp Pendleton has always been awful before way before NV upgrades with voice, data, etc. Since last week, I've noticed way better service, faster 3G speeds getting average speeds of 1.10-1.27 Mbps, and great voice signals.

As for the pics in the dropbox link, crews are about to get to work. The 3 middle cabinets belong to SDG&E. The last cabinet on the end labeled "Alpha" was never at this location, and was just installed. I have no clue what that is. Cox Cable has some underground cables by it. Anyone know if that Alpha cabinet has anything to do with NV? I also included a screenshot of what I was picking up standing by this site with SignalCheck Pro, and included what I mapped between El Camino Real and Douglas.

https://db.tt/2vBipoDH

• Like 1

Ok I figured pics #4, 13, and 16 out in the dropbox link I posted. It's a thermoelecrtic cooling system used for electrical, electronic, and telecomm equipment. I assume this will help with decreasing major overheating at this site that has 3 San Diego Gas & Electric cabinets, Cox Cable underground cables, the street light, and Sprint equipment.

http://www.iceqube.com/default.asp

I was walking back to my car after work in Del Mar, 92014 on the corner of Stratford Way and Luneta Drive and Signal Check Pro notified me that my voice service switched to 800. I didn't think we were getting any that in San Diego due to the IBEZ. zepeduha.jpg

Edited by bookertdub
  • Like 1

I was walking back to my car after work in Del Mar, 92014 on the corner of Stratford Way and Luneta Drive and Signal Check Pro notified me that my voice service switched to 800. I didn't think we were getting any that in San Diego due to the IBEZ. zepeduha.jpg

Wow! I didn't think SD would get it either. I wonder if other areas of North County will see this?

When I logged on to the internet this morning, a service interruption notification box popped up from Cox Cable that said this.

"Dear Valued Customer, over the next week, Cox will be performing upgrades in your  neighborhood. The majority of this work will be completed between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday to minimize any inconvenience to you. We appreciate your patience as we complete these upgrades to enhance our network and ensure an even better customer experience. Thank you,

Cox Communications."

Wow! I didn't think SD would get it either. I wonder if other areas of North County will see this?

I wonder if the users on the Baja California side already vacated (at least some of) the required frequencies. 800 might still be pretty slim here since they still have three years or so to completely leave.

I dunno about anyone else, but in Del Mar, my phone seems to be on 3G-EVDO A quite a bit the past few weeks. Phone is set to accept 3G & 4G. I wonder if Del Mar/Solana Beach is getting worked on. I did use to have eHRPD here.

I dunno about anyone else, but in Del Mar, my phone seems to be on 3G-EVDO A quite a bit the past few weeks. Phone is set to accept 3G & 4G. I wonder if Del Mar/Solana Beach is getting worked on. I did use to have eHRPD here.Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Work is being done in, near, and around my area. I've been on Rev A at home for a few days now. 3G speeds are way faster than I've been use to at home.

In my part of Pt. Loma there are two active LTE sites- one near Sunset Cliffs and Pt. Loma Ave. and the other at Catalina Blvd. and Talbot St.  I've walked the area several times and the purple looks great on the Sensorly map.

When out walking in the pale purple- not the lightest tho' - I get the nice LTE access, but until yesterday I've never got LTE at home which is also in pale purple.  For a glorious six hours I had 20 down and 6 up in the early evening.  Now, it's back to 1.5 down and 0.6 up.

Hmm with all the pops and grackles last night, do fireworks enhance LTE signals?

Old post, but worth checking. I just checked out sensorly yesterday and it said we had coverage in Point Loma. I installed the app and used the map tracker driving up and down Catalina and got no LTE hits (300 or so pings - all 3G). So I went LTE signal hunting on foot. I was walking at Catalina and Talbot and got nothing. I have two HTC Evo 4g LTEs, both set to accept CDMA/LTE. Am I doing something wrong? What elese can I try? Thanks in advance for not skewering a noob.  

BTW, not LTE-related, but for anyone else that drives south on Catalina from Nimitz, do you have a guaranteed call drop at Catalina and Narragansett? They've been "working" on that for me for three years. The call log has gone on so long, that a new ticket has been started 4 times to accommodate the notes. Been escalated to OKC call center twice where they had me pull over and do that ##debug# thing and supposedly sent techs out 6x. No luck. Just checking to see if it's just me (have had three different phones as well do the same thing) - they tell me everything should be working fine, but no bueno. 

Edited by SlowSprintInSD

For those of you that travel to North County from San Diego often, have you noticed or seen the new antennas being replaced behind that 76 gas station at Manchester Ave/5 frwy ramp? You can see it from both sides of the freeway. It's also 3G accepted looking at sponsor map.

• Like 1

Old post, but worth checking. I just checked out sensorly yesterday and it said we had coverage in Point Loma. I installed the app and used the map tracker driving up and down Catalina and got no LTE hits (300 or so pings - all 3G). So I went LTE signal hunting on foot. I was walking at Catalina and Talbot and got nothing. I have two HTC Evo 4g LTEs, both set to accept CDMA/LTE. Am I doing something wrong? What elese can I try? Thanks in advance for not skewering a noob.  

You say that you are driving and walking in areas with mapped LTE. Are you toggling airplane mode when you are hunting LTE? Toggling airplane mode is the best way to pick up a LTE signal when your phone doesn't pick it up under normal operation. It can take your phone quite a while to scan for LTE but if you toggle airplane mode it scans for LTE when the radio turns back on.

If you are already using the airplane mode trick then something else is wrong.

For those of you that travel to North County from San Diego often, have you noticed or seen the new antennas being replaced behind that 76 gas station at Manchester Ave/5 frwy ramp? You can see it from both sides of the freeway. It's also 3G accepted looking at sponsor map.

Excellent Marv.  I'll check it out.

BTW, not LTE-related, but for anyone else that drives south on Catalina from Nimitz, do you have a guaranteed call drop at Catalina and Narragansett? They've been "working" on that for me for three years. The call log has gone on so long, that a new ticket has been started 4 times to accommodate the notes. Been escalated to OKC call center twice where they had me pull over and do that ##debug# thing and supposedly sent techs out 6x. No luck. Just checking to see if it's just me (have had three different phones as well do the same thing) - they tell me everything should be working fine, but no bueno.

Try using the LTE Discovery app, although it really only automates toggling airplane mode.

Nice! My daily commute brings me by there.