iPhone 5 frequencies + HD voice

iansltx

No comment on that one. <digi puts his index cards of iphone disadvantages away>

lol. Sorry, my Viper started overheating by itself today again. I'm not happy with it, so this announcement is kind of convincing for me to get it.

• Like 1

Version #2 (A1429 CDMA) is the Sprint + Verizon edition. 2100, 1800, Cellular, upper 700, PCS+G

This is the most interesting model of the three IMO. Despite SpectrumCo, there's no AWS here for Verizon. There is, however, support for a band that Verizon probably won't launch for several years: LTE in Cellular. I'm sure this was due to KDDI needing the band, but it's entertaining nonetheless. And of course Sprint's current LTE deployment is fully supported, though LTE in SMR or 2500 isn't.

Does this mean it might be possible, if you bought a Verizon or Sprint iPhone 5, to one day take it to the other carrier and have it activated? Not that I'd want to do that, or even that I'd want an iPhone 5. Just curious.

Does this mean it might be possible, if you bought a Verizon or Sprint iPhone 5, to one day take it to the other carrier and have it activated? Not that I'd want to do that, or even that I'd want an iPhone 5. Just curious.

Yes if you can get the prior service provider to unlock the phone from its network restrictions. Theres also a device you can use with the 4S to unlock the phone for any carrier in the world, its just a different sim card tray

• Like 1

I have looked and looked but cannot find in the FCC filings any clear indication of SVDO capability. Take that for what you will.

AJ

In my opinion, it would be kind of retarded if it didn't, seeing as how the mdm9615 is the most advanced lte modem on the market.

They also posted on engadget that a sprint spokesperson stated that it won't be compatible with HD voice because its HD voice implementation uses wcdma and the iPhone doesn't have 1xa...but this statement is also retarded to me, because it seems the 9615 can do EVERYTHING except wimax...

It's not just the chipset that has to support SVDO, the phone itself will have to support it with a separate receive/transmit path for EVDO and 1x voice. It does have SVDO capabilities between 1x and LTE.

Edited by bigsnake49

So with LTE bands 1, 3 and 5 included, once LTE roaming gets set up, the Sprint and Verizon iPhones are actually superior international devices (except for Canada) than AT&T's iPhone :lol: ! That's a radical departure from the norm.

It's not just the chipset that has to support SVDO, the phone itself will have to support it with a separate receive/transmit path for EVDO and 1x voice. It does have SVDO capabilities between 1x and LTE.

You are right. I just hope that even if HD voice is not supported, SVDO is, because all of sprints new LTE hands support it.

It's SVLTE guys as Robert pointed out. SVDO is Voice/EVDO. SVLTE is more likely to be supported as there is not an extra cost as there will already be separate antennas for 1x/evdo and LTE.

Also regarding HD Voice, as you've probably seen the Iphone 5 does not support Sprint/CDMA HD Voice. This is due to the fact that the Iphone does not support the EVRC-NW codec. They do support the gsm AMR-WB HD Voice codec, however.

I wish that Sprint's HD Voice used the AMR-WB codec, but Qualcomm probably doesn't support that over their cdma chips. Another nice option would be for ios to include support for EVRC-NW.

Maybe VoLTE will bring AMR-WB to Sprint, but VoLTE might be a long ways off.

Even SVLTE is in doubt. AnandTech's Brian Klug and I discussed it on Twitter last night.

AJ

Am I crazy or doesn't the Rev B1 HAC RF Test Report document list Voice over digital transport and concurrent single transmission for CDMA+LTE, in table 5.2?

The footnote seems to say the rating was not based on concurrent voice/data mode because non-concurrent represented the worst-case rating?

edit: I guess this is the hearing-aid test to make sure it doesn't interfere with them and that would make sense that CDMA 1xRTT is the worse-case for interference.

Even SVLTE is in doubt. AnandTech's Brian Klug and I discussed it on Twitter last night.

https://twitter.com/...067790690279425

AJ

Can you imagine the fallout from this now that people expect this feature on LTE devices? I can't think of a single CDMA handset that cannot do SVLTE...that would be crazy.

From having a look at the FCC docs myself, I can't find any mention of SVDO/SVLTE, other than running VoIP and data simultaneously (no VoLTE). Definitely disappointing if the omission means a lack of support.

Ian, I will be traveling today, but feel free to get in touch if you have any questions while you work on the iPhone 5 FCC authorization write up. I am more than happy to consult. And thanks for taking on this article.

AJ

AJ/Ian: I seemed to recall that the MDM9615 chip supported both FD and TD for LTE, but it seems that these radios in iPhone 5 will not support CLWR's band class (nor others using 2.5/2.6ghz), so despite the processor being capable for TD-LTE these versions of iPhone are unlikely to support Sprint devices on CLWR when it gets its hot spot TD-LTE network up. Is that a correct conclusion?

Of course, since Apple introduced 3 versions already, it doesn't preclude a 4th or 5th flavor to come subsequently, I guess.

Am I also reading correctly that this iPhone 5 will in fact support Sprint 1xCDMA 800 for voice coverage when it's rolled out for NV?

AJ/Ian: I seemed to recall that the MDM9615 chip supported both FD and TD for LTE, but it seems that these radios in iPhone 5 will not support CLWR's band class (nor others using 2.5/2.6ghz), so despite the processor being capable for TD-LTE these versions of iPhone are unlikely to support Sprint devices on CLWR when it gets its hot spot TD-LTE network up. Is that a correct conclusion?

Of course, since Apple introduced 3 versions already, it doesn't preclude a 4th or 5th flavor to come subsequently, I guess.

Am I also reading correctly that this iPhone 5 will in fact support Sprint 1xCDMA 800 for voice coverage when it's rolled out for NV?

Just because the chip supports TD-LTE (along with SVDO/SVLTE) doesn't mean Apple supports it in the device construction or iOS. Sure, they could co-opt the WiFi antenna for 2500MHz TD-LTE and it would probably work just fine, but since Sprint hasn't even begun certifying devices for that band class, it ain't gonna happen this time around.

The phone does have CDMA (1xAdvanced or EvDO Rev. A) on SMR though. So it will be able to use that component of Sprint's network.

Hmmm, I get impression from this thread that iPhone 5 Version 2 supports LTE on 850(800)/AWS/1900 but it has no CDMA on AWS band at all.

Query, how does Cricket sell a prepaid iPhone in those of its markets with AWS where it doesn't have 1900 CDMA? I am scratching

my head, unless I guess it's running iPhones in those markets on Sprint as an MVNO - or simply not selling an yiPhones except where it has 19000 band CDMA.