iPhone 5

MacinJosh

You need the transceiver to go with it as well.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Apparently Apple pulled it off with the iPhone 5.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

4inch? No NFC? They are definitely sticking to their guns of releasing tech that is 1.5 to 2.0 years old time and time again. How's that yearly milking going?

I'm sure I'll hear the fanboy spin of NFC is pointless or is stupid and that's why they don't need it, I thought the same at first but now I use mine all the time where it is available, just so much easier and have all my transactions and their exact locations right on my phone when I need to check them. And if only a 4 inch screen phone fits in your pocket, then you need to trade in your skinny jeans for some manly ones.

• Like 3

4inch? No NFC? They are definitely sticking to their guns of releasing tech that is 1.5 to 2.0 years old time and time again. How's that yearly milking going?

I'm sure I'll hear the fanboy spin of NFC is pointless or is stupid and that's why they don't need it, I thought the same at first but now I use mine all the time where it is available, just so much easier and have all my transactions and their exact locations right on my phone when I need to check them. And if only a 4 inch screen phone fits in your pocket, then you need to trade in your skinny jeans for some manly ones.

Don't forget the use of nfc tags, those little things are awesome.

Nothing new here... a speed bump on cpu and gpu, screen got taller and body... added lte... Apple doesn't set the bar anymore... a good upgrade for iphone users...

I'm not an apple fan but I have always looked forward to their annual releases to see where they have pushes the boundaries. But to me, all it seems they do now is rely on brand loyalty. They will satisfy their customers with incremental upgrades but they seem to be refusing that they compete in a market that doesn't only include them. My two cents. I was really looking forward to something new or revolutionary. I was actually impressed when Samsung released the SIII and I really don't like Samsung products.

-Luis

I'd like to know' date='what makes the iPhone 5 2010 dated tech?[/quote']

32nm process dual core processor, LTE radios, 4 inch screen, exclusion of NFC, 1GB RAM. I probably missed some more, but this was all on phones in 2010 and we are being sold on it as "new and revolutionary"

• Like 1

32nm process dual core processor, LTE radios, 4 inch screen, exclusion of NFC, 1GB RAM. I probably missed some more, but this was all on phones in 2010 and we are being sold on it as "new and revolutionary"

Please show me a phone that had 32nm instead of 45nm in 2010, because i do not believe there was one. Hell, the galaxy s2 Exynos 4 was built on 45nm, so i dunno where you are getting that.

Whether the phone was required to have a 4 inch screen or not is subjective. I would prefer larger, but that is not evidence of obsolescence.

On the LTE front, the LTE modems before the one that is integrated in the S4 were very power hungry. Iphones are known for good battery life, so using the tech before it was less power hungry would be the antithesis to what they have already accomplished with battery life. The 9615 is just not becoming available, so it was prime time to integrate the tech.

Please show me a phone that had 32nm instead of 45nm in 2010' date=' because i do not believe there was one. Hell, the galaxy s2 Exynos 4 was built on 45nm, so i dunno where you are getting that.

Whether the phone was required to have a 4 inch screen or not is subjective. I would prefer larger, but that is not evidence of obsolescence.

On the LTE front, the LTE modems before the one that is integrated in the S4 were very power hungry. Iphones are known for good battery life, so using the tech before it was less power hungry would be the antithesis to what they have already accomplished with battery life. The 9615 is just not becoming available, so it was prime time to integrate the tech.[/quote']

You are proving the stereotypes that everyone places on iFans. Make excuses for why apple doesn't use the cutting edge of technology but still claims to be an innovator.

Please show me a phone that had 32nm instead of 45nm in 2010' date=' because i do not believe there was one. Hell, the galaxy s2 Exynos 4 was built on 45nm, so i dunno where you are getting that.

[/quote']

I'm on my phone, so I am unable to fully research what phones had the chip, but here is the article from 2009 regarding ARM starting work on the 32nm process. http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9128039/Arm_to_show_its_first_32nm_smartphone_chip

It states that production would have chips in smartphone models by late 2010. Apple has the power to exert their economy of scale on this and actually innovate, but they would rather let others push the innovation, call them buggy junk, and then use the tech quietly after everyone has moved to better, newer tech. That's why they are so secretive about names. Don't call it what it really is... old exynos, call it A6 and don't give any details.

I'm on my phone, so I am unable to fully research what phones had the chip, but here is the article from 2009 regarding ARM starting work on the 32nm process. http://www.computerw...smartphone_chip

It states that production would have chips in smartphone models by late 2010. Apple has the power to exert their economy of scale on this and actually innovate, but they would rather let others push the innovation, call them buggy junk, and then use the tech quietly after everyone has moved to better, newer tech. That's why they are so secretive about names. Don't call it what it really is... old exynos, call it A6 and don't give any details.

Samsung had just unveiled its orion core at the END of 2010, which was later used in the GSII. 2010 was the year of the Galaxy s1 (epic 4g) , Evo 4g, Droid X, etc. They were nowhere near shipping a 32nm product...from what i remember most were still on 65nm.

Innovation with regards to a smaller process would be folly at this point, because TSMC and quite possibly Global Foundries is having much trouble with the 28nm process volume. (http://www.extremete...en-to-jump-ship) And thats just for Nvidia and Qualcomm...A company with the volume demands of Apple would definitely lose money if faced with delays because the process margins were low.

I highly doubt they could claim the 2x performance jump by simply using a rebranded Exynos. Thats pretty much impossible without doubling the clock speed, which would drain the battery exponentially.

Just found this link from someone over on engadget, I thought it was hilarious.

http://imgur.com/a/NAeNN

This is funny as well:

Disclaimer:

I am not bashing the iphone in anyway, as I have said in another post I think the iphone 5 is the best looking one out of all of them but in all honestly if I absolutely had to get an iphone it would be an iphone 4s.

• Like 3