Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Is that through Transit Wireless or through their own DAS like at Grand Central?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I believe its through transit wireless. This station was only broadcasting B25/26 so I dont know if this was just upgraded or just turned on.

• Like 2

I believe its through transit wireless. This station was only broadcasting B25/26 so I dont know if this was just upgraded or just turned on.

If that's the case, it probably won't be long until we start seeing Band 41 in the other stations too. That's good news!

Anyone working in WTC 1 or visiting the Observation Deck? Curious how service is there.

Visited the observation deck when I was back home from college around Thanksgiving of 2015. Service was very bad, if I recall correctly I latched onto 1x800. No EvDo and no Band 26 to be found, and if I did latch on it was around -115 dBm for both. WiFi was free, and WiFi calling worked like a charm. 

Visited the observation deck when I was back home from college around Thanksgiving of 2015. Service was very bad, if I recall correctly I latched onto 1x800. No EvDo and no Band 26 to be found, and if I did latch on it was around -115 dBm for both. WiFi was free, and WiFi calling worked like a charm. 

Some recent changes should help that...

Anyone visiting now or any time soon... that is the question. ;)

• Like 3

Skyscrapers, especially super tall skyscrapers, are the exception, not the rule.  And terrestrial wireless service is not intended to serve the sky.  So, signal strength will be low.  Or SINR will be low -- because of the signals from so many cell sites in direct line of sight interfering with each other.  That is why many skyscrapers require their own small cells.

AJ

• Like 3

Has anyone noticed that since the network failure a few weeks ago, some towers have just not come back online? The Bronx has been having trouble ever since that day along the Metro-North tracks. Wakefield to Mount Vernon West is particularly bad. I reported it and they say they are investigating it and I am not the only one to notice the slow down. 

Has anyone noticed that since the network failure a few weeks ago, some towers have just not come back online? The Bronx has been having trouble ever since that day along the Metro-North tracks. Wakefield to Mount Vernon West is particularly bad. I reported it and they say they are investigating it and I am not the only one to notice the slow down. 

What device are you using? 

I cant believe I'm going to say this...

But have you tried a PRL and Profile update? I had some handoff issues on my N6P and that immediately fixed the issue. 

If that does not helps hit up @marcicarris, @marceloclaure and @sprintcare on twitter, they will get on it right away..

What device are you using? 

I cant believe I'm going to say this...

But have you tried a PRL and Profile update? I had some handoff issues on my N6P and that immediately fixed the issue. 

If that does not helps hit up @marcicarris, @marceloclaure and @sprintcare on twitter, they will get on it right away..

iPhone 6s. Yeah, the ##UPDATE# was the first thing I tried. My wife had the same issues in the same location. Luckily on the train it is only about 5 minutes long, but just sucks to have even radio drop out.

Maybe the new technical COO is finally starting to get his network plan in place?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Well they lit up 900 sites with CA without a peep ;)

• 4 weeks later...

So, I was waiting for the bus at 86th and 3rd, and decided to connect to these hot spots that are replacing phone booths.  I wanted to see how fast this "ultra fast" wifi really was... and I was impressed.  I got 229 down and 214 up.  Granted, that was standing within five feet of it, and who knows how many people were really connected.

The ISP says "CityBridge" and I'm guessing it's Verizon who is the backhaul since they are former phone booths, but who knows.

I picked it up all up 3rd ave between 86th and 96th.  It shows that maybe, just maybe, we can wire light poles with ease like we're hoping, for small cell deployment.

• Like 1

So, I was waiting for the bus at 86th and 3rd, and decided to connect to these hot spots that are replacing phone booths. I wanted to see how fast this "ultra fast" wifi really was... and I was impressed. I got 229 down and 214 up. Granted, that was standing within five feet of it, and who knows how many people were really connected.

The ISP says "CityBridge" and I'm guessing it's Verizon who is the backhaul since they are former phone booths, but who knows.

I picked it up all up 3rd ave between 86th and 96th. It shows that maybe, just maybe, we can wire light poles with ease like we're hoping, for small cell deployment.

The amount of dark fiber throughout the city is immeasurable. Much of it was laid during the 90's and has been sitting there waiting to be used for projects like this.

• Like 2

The amount of dark fiber throughout the city is immeasurable. Much of it was laid during the 90's and has been sitting there waiting to be used for projects like this.

That is pretty cool to hear.  Though, it'd be nice if FiOS could get into my building... hah.

That is pretty cool to hear. Though, it'd be nice if FiOS could get into my building... hah.

Well, Verizon installers are on strike now anyway. I just signed up and have an install date 5 weeks away... in the meantime they gave me a free unlimited LTE hotspot. Figure I'll just USB tether it to my router.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

So, I was waiting for the bus at 86th and 3rd, and decided to connect to these hot spots that are replacing phone booths.  I wanted to see how fast this "ultra fast" wifi really was... and I was impressed.  I got 229 down and 214 up.  Granted, that was standing within five feet of it, and who knows how many people were really connected.

I picked it up all up 3rd ave between 86th and 96th.  It shows that maybe, just maybe, we can wire light poles with ease like we're hoping, for small cell deployment.

Yeah they got a lot of Links deployed across NYC now! There's 3 on the same block as my campus, they're incredibly nice to have. The range and speeds are extremely impressive. 

Most of them are on 3rd and 8th avenue, and run very extensively. The ones by my college are by 24th and 3rd, so right there it covers 60 blocks on 3rd. It's really the future for NYC, I'm very happy this became a thing.

• Like 1