How do you determine which tower the signal is coming from?

I saw a worker up on a crane on the tower at Chickasaw and 408, right behind Florida Hospital East at about 3:00 PM today.

My iPhone 5 is jailbroken, so I use an app from Cydia called Signal 2. The app collects cache data to approximate the location of the towers at which I'm connected to at that moment.

Looks to me like quadrangle tower is live. Colonial and rouse has over 10mbps speeds

Nvm not quadrangle but there is a tower near rouse and colonial somewhere that is new.

I'm pretty sure we were talking about the same tower. From what I'm seeing on Signal 2, it is the tower by Quadrangle that has active LTE. That tower has been active pretty much every day for the past 2 or 3 months now. I get an LTE signal from that tower every time I take a trip down University to campus. I expect the signal to drastically improve in the near future. Expect full bars from that tower sometime in the next few weeks.

Here are a handful of screenshots of speed tests and tower connections I had throughout the day today, May 4th, 2013:

In Signal 2, a red line means my iPhone is currently connected to that tower. A blue line means the tower is visible, but not directly connected to it at that moment.

8709520328_7caf3fb51e_b.jpg

Being in the location above, I got this speed test below:

8708396831_243004489c_b.jpg

And right at the intersection of Econlockhatchee Trl & Colonial Dr, I got this speed test below:

8709518408_a358db841a_b.jpg

As you can see below, I have a very impressive screenshot of my iPhone with full bars on LTE from the Lee Vista & 417 tower all the way from Colonial:

8708395285_d90ae847a3_b.jpg

From the screenshot above, I got this very impressive speed test below:

8709517436_3a2f63c028_b.jpg

On Colonial & Alafaya in front of Walmart, I still have a good LTE signal from the Lee Vista tower:

8708390205_57aa9aa81d_b.jpg

At 11:09pm on May 4th, 2013, the Lee Vista tower is still very much active, while the tower at Quadrangle is visible and active as well:

8709509768_4a820bd687_b.jpg

So all in all, we need to get Sensorly running again!!!

8709511180_9121910022_b.jpg

The end of the old slow 3G days are quickly approaching! Keep it up guys!!!

• Like 2

On Colonial & Alafaya in front of Walmart, I still have a good LTE signal from the Lee Vista tower:

This post took me back to a memory a few years ago. I was at this very Walmart in August 2006 and was walking back to my rental car parked in the far end of the lot and found someone trying to break into it. I started running toward him and he took off and jumped into a car nearby that was waiting on him. Welcome to Orlando. :lol:

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 3

This post took me back to a memory a few years ago. I was at this very Walmart in August 2006 and was walking back to my rental car parked in the far end of the lot and found someone trying to break into it. I started running toward him and he took off and jumped into a car nearby that was waiting on him. Welcome to Orlando. :lol:

Wow... and now you know why I don't shop at that Walmart anymore LOL

• Like 1

Only certain Walmarts are safe. This isn't one of them.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Not to be a downer but I'm pretty sure you were not connected to the Lee vista tower from colonial and alafaya but most likely the new tower a different tower, because I'm in cypress springs and I have yet to connect to that tower lol which is in the same direction as alafaya and colonial but half the distance. So idk.

I have never had any luck with tower locator apps. The towers are never in the correct locations. I am in the same general area as the previous post and have not connected to lee vista either

I was at Hawaiian Ct and International Dr tonight and got a brief 4G signal but if I moved more then a few feet it was lost. The closest 4g tower that I know of in this area is 1-92 Kissimmee area which I suspect is to far off. Perhaps one of the hotels (rooftops) has been updated and they are testing. Fyi this area is in the 9000 blk of International.

Progress, I hope!

Sent via my Samsung Note II using Tapatalk.

• Like 1

Not to be a downer but I'm pretty sure you were not connected to the Lee vista tower from colonial and alafaya but most likely the new tower a different tower, because I'm in cypress springs and I have yet to connect to that tower lol which is in the same direction as alafaya and colonial but half the distance. So idk.

I have never had any luck with tower locator apps. The towers are never in the correct locations. I am in the same general area as the previous post and have not connected to lee vista either

True, well the creator of Signal 2 said that this as accurate as it gets without having tower ID's so I'm not 100% sure either, but it seems accurate enough to me.

By Avalon Park, I found a weak, but active LTE tower:

8711580434_74556a4d10_b.jpg

From that same tower, I was also connected to it from Avalon Park and got this speed test:

8710462381_56a55763a9_b.jpg

8710460439_7282f8b578_b.jpg

I was connected to the tower at Lee Vista again, but this time, all the way from the Walmart in Avalon Park:

8711581958_42f32cbc26_b.jpg

From that Walmart, I kept a surprisingly good LTE signal inside the back of the store and got speed tests like this:

8711583456_934c74bc80_b.jpg

And lastly, just south of the intersection of Colonial Dr & Avalon Park Blvd, I got this 3G speed test:

8710461781_782f9c26bb_b.jpg

How long do you guys think until the LTE rollout is complete enough for Sprint to officially launch in Orlando?

I would think that they would have to actually have a decent amount of coverage actually within the city limits of Orlando first. As of right now, the LTE coverage is outside or on the border of Orlando's city limits.

• Like 1

Saw WesTower trucks pull up to the White Road watertower Sprint Tower in Ocoee!! Hoping that means I'm only a few weeks away from 4G in most of the Ocoee area (though still not where I live, but either way, progress!)

Saw WesTower trucks pull up to the White Road watertower Sprint Tower in Ocoee!! Hoping that means I'm only a few weeks away from 4G in most of the Ocoee area (though still not where I live, but either way, progress!)

WesTower is a known Network Vision Contractor. But they also likely work for other carriers too. Keep an eye out for us!

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 2

WesTower is a known Network Vision Contractor. But they also likely work for other carriers too. Keep an eye out for us!

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I might have to drop by at lunch and see if they'll tell me which carrier they're doing work for. Exciting times!

Got LTE here in Camden apartments in hunters creek around 6:40 am. I had to go so I only saw it for about 10 seconds. I was able to take a screenshot but I wasn't able to complete the upload test because I was going into my apartment and I felt that it would turn off (back to 3G) as soon as I walked in and it did so yea I guess right

Here's the screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvxlfxuln0ojrse/2013-05-06%2006.39.18.png

• Like 1

I went over to the loop area and it seemed to have LTE all over but kept on showing and leaving the most consistent one I found was the cvs at the loop which is in hunters creek

This is the pic with the LTE in it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psisiczak4biyqg/2013-05-06%2021.49.51.png

This is the pic with the speed test ( I forgot to take the picture of it when I took the test so this I'd just the results):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2a1l10y5ltrthcv/2013-05-06%2021.59.21.png

I am right across the waterford lakes mall, and let me tell you that I have the absolute worst 3g I have ever experienced, anywhere. Trying to load maps to get anywhere (just moved here so I have no idea where anything is), is a task and by the time I reach my destination my battery has significantly drained. And let's not talk about re-routing if you make a wrong turn, good luck lol. I am really really looking forward to those towers around my area being activated. Even though I have the 4S, I experienced the faster 3g speeds down in Palm Beach Gardens, FL before I moved and they are very enjoyable clocking in average around 1.5-2.3 mb download. I am very excited, hope they pick up the pace. :)

I am right across the waterford lakes mall, and let me tell you that I have the absolute worst 3g I have ever experienced, anywhere. Trying to load maps to get anywhere (just moved here so I have no idea where anything is), is a task and by the time I reach my destination my battery has significantly drained. And let's not talk about re-routing if you make a wrong turn, good luck lol. I am really really looking forward to those towers around my area being activated. Even though I have the 4S, I experienced the faster 3g speeds down in Palm Beach Gardens, FL before I moved and they are very enjoyable clocking in average around 1.5-2.3 mb download. I am very excited, hope they pick up the pace. :)

Waterford area probably has the slowest 3g and no lte in the east Orlando area. The tower that covers it is being worked on though because lte panels are up and network.sprint.com shows upgrades being done to it. So just a little longer.

• Like 2

Waterford area probably has the slowest 3g and no lte in the east Orlando area. The tower that covers it is being worked on though because lte panels are up and network.sprint.com shows upgrades being done to it. So just a little longer.

Don't worry, 3G service on the west side of town is pretty abysmal as well with limited exceptions. Can't wait for NV completion!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

You and me both....It is horrible, but when I go on sensorly coverage maps thread, I can see that people are getting 4g lte in and out..I guess it's just the waiting game. Really hope they have it up and running by the time I have my upgrade in September.

• Like 1

The new tower on colonial between dean and rouse at luvlace gas is live. Its being hammered hard though. Near the tower gives very high uploads 7+ but just around 5 for downloads.

• Like 2

The new tower on colonial between dean and rouse at luvlace gas is live. Its being hammered hard though. Near the tower gives very high uploads 7+ but just around 5 for downloads.

Psh, that is still excellent considering what is typical of Orlando's 3g. Getting closer to me :)
  • Like 2