Sprint to launch HD Voice by the end of the year

First they need to try to get 4g lte working for more than a few seconds before exploring any other initiatives.

What does working on LTE now have to do with working on HD voice at the end of the year?

Should Sprint cancel all their plans nationwide indefinitely because the part of Houston you live in is still having LTE rolled out? That makes no sense.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 3

First they need to try to get 4g lte working for more than a few seconds before exploring any other initiatives.

Some people need to chill out, get some patience. Every week in Kansas City, LTE footprint grows a little bit more widespread. For example, I noticed several sites just yesterday with newly live LTE. A few months from now, LTE in Kansas City will be nearly ubiquitous. The same goes for Houston, Atlanta, and all of the other launch markets.

If you are in a first round Network Vision market and cannot wait a few months for LTE to roll out fully, then you may need to rethink your priorities in life.

AJ

• Like 14

Some people need to chill out' date=' get some patience. Every week in Kansas City, LTE footprint grows a little bit more widespread. For example, I noticed several sites just yesterday with newly live LTE. A few months from now, LTE in Kansas City will be nearly ubiquitous. The same goes for Houston, Atlanta, and all of the other launch markets.

If you are in a first round Network Vision market and cannot wait a few months for LTE to roll out fully, then you may need to rethink your priorities in life.

AJ[/quote']

I'd hate to see if these folks were not in first round markets. I sometimes think there are people who actually would prefer having LTE blocked throughout the market and all turned on at once (six months from now). Not being able to use LTE early, at least where it is available.

Verizon does the same thing. We have had sites go live intermittently in our area with LTE. Some go live and stay live. Some have been out for weeks. Verizon did not announce the coverage or show it on their maps. People seem overjoyed to be getting it early when and wherever they can.

Now Verizon is showing coverage on their maps, after three months of it being live. And their maps are very inaccurate. Not quite as bad as Sprint, but not very good. But people on Verizon are stoked.

The only difference between Sprint and Verizon is an announcement. Otherwise the deployment is exactly the same. So any member of S4GRU understands that Sprint market launches are not an announcement that a market is completely ready, but rather Sprint is no longer blocking LTE connections on completed sites.

So, to have the understanding we do here about the deployment and continuing to whine is a very futile exercise. It is what it is, its not going to change. And it's no different than how Verizon deploys LTE, except for the launch announcement.

• Like 2

So back on topic(LOL), I can't wait to experience this HD voice feature. I am not gonna lie, the voice quality on my evo lte right now is pretty damn amazing(by far the best out of any phone I have ever owned so far) and honestly I don't see how calls can sound any better than what they are now.

• Like 4

So back on topic(LOL), I can't wait to experience this HD voice feature. I am not gonna lie, the voice quality on my evo lte right now is pretty damn amazing(by far the best out of any phone I have ever owned so far) and honestly I don't see how calls can sound any better than what they are now.

Mines too. I can actually hear everything clearly on this phone. I guess HD Voice will be like listening to a live Band rather than the mp3 lol XD (Though high quality mp3 sounds pretty good too :P)

-Luis

Looking forward to it. Was at the EVO announcement event, and got to try it out in person, and loved it. Literally pin-drop quality.

Is it really worth getting the EVO LTE over the Galaxy SIII? The Samsung has some really neat apps and features, but the EVO has HD voice... which will only help with other HD voice phones, which there aren't any others now (to my knowledge).

I know you can pretty much put any software on any phone, so I guess the real question is how impressive is the HD voice compared to regular cellular voice, and how much better is the quality of the HTC phone?

As probably the only person on here who actually got to use HD voice in person, I can tell you, it's insane. I've never heard someone sound so clear in my life.

As for EVO vs GS3, I'm happy with the EVO. We have a GS3 here, and I see the appeal, but the EVO can stand on its own. What neat apps and features are you referring to on the GS3? Ones that you will use consistently vs marketing gimmicks?

I agree. The other day I called my wife from the car and I had the window down and the radio on. She said I sounded fine, which for her was a ringing endorsement. With my old EVO I would have to close the windows and make sure the radio was down. She didn't even realize I had the window open.

Granted that won't make a difference when I am calling the house from my EVO but I definitely want to experience HD voice. Not that I make many phone calls with my phone...

• Like 1

As probably the only person on here who actually got to use HD voice in person, I can tell you, it's insane. I've never heard someone sound so clear in my life.

As for EVO vs GS3, I'm happy with the EVO. We have a GS3 here, and I see the appeal, but the EVO can stand on its own. What neat apps and features are you referring to on the GS3? Ones that you will use consistently vs marketing gimmicks?

I actually got to test the s-beam at the store, and it was pretty neat, as usually i end up emailing pictures to someone who is right beside me. The s-voice I will probably not use, and rather just wait for the jelly bean update with google now. The other software things like 'stay awake' screen and the fact that it will dial a person you are texting if you put the phone to your ear, sound neat, but IDK if I will really use them. I'm sure that its just personal preference, but since my contract is up I'm wondering if I should get one of these current phones, or wait until the next ones come out in a few months...

I can attest that the background noise filtering on the EVO LTE is nothing short of awesome and exceeds the quality of GS3. The GS3 has improved over the GS2 series, but the EVO LTE is in a class by itself. It's also not limited to just the phone. The video camera is also just as stellar.

• Like 1

The EVO LTE includes two mics, one specifically for noise cancellation. It operates on the principle that undesired noise intensity likely will be very similar between the two mics, while voice intensity will be much higher in the mic more proximate to the speaker's mouth. Hence, common mode noise in the two feeds can be subtracted out, leaving voice relatively unaffected.

Does the Galaxy S3 lack a second mic?

AJ

The EVO LTE includes two mics, one specifically for noise cancellation. It operates on the principle that undesired noise intensity likely will be very similar between the two mics, while voice intensity will be much higher in the mic more proximate to the speaker's mouth. Hence, common mode noise in the two feeds can be subtracted out, leaving voice relatively unaffected.

Does the Galaxy S3 lack a second mic?

AJ

No, the GS3 has a noise-cancellation mic on the top edge.

I'd hate to see if these folks were not in first round markets. I sometimes think there are people who actually would prefer having LTE blocked throughout the market and all turned on at once (six months from now). Not being able to use LTE early, at least where it is available.

Verizon does the same thing. We have had sites go live intermittently in our area with LTE. Some go live and stay live. Some have been out for weeks. Verizon did not announce the coverage or show it on their maps. People seem overjoyed to be getting it early when and wherever they can.

Now Verizon is showing coverage on their maps, after three months of it being live. And their maps are very inaccurate. Not quite as bad as Sprint, but not very good. But people on Verizon are stoked.

The only difference between Sprint and Verizon is an announcement. Otherwise the deployment is exactly the same. So any member of S4GRU understands that Sprint market launches are not an announcement that a market is completely ready, but rather Sprint is no longer blocking LTE connections on completed sites.

So, to have the understanding we do here about the deployment and continuing to whine is a very futile exercise. It is what it is, its not going to change. And it's no different than how Verizon deploys LTE, except for the launch announcement.

On the blocking vs launching issue I think the best practice is obvious. Don't block sites ever, leave them on as they come live. Tell customers that while they may have coverage it is still unofficial and in testing. Don't officially launch and advertise service until 50% completion. When you do launch insure coverage maps are accurate and updated live as sites come online (with a two week or so lag before adding new coverage on the map).

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

On the blocking vs launching issue I think the best practice is obvious. Don't block sites ever' date=' leave them on as they come live. Tell customers that while they may have coverage it is still unofficial and in testing. Don't officially launch and advertise service until 50% completion. When you do launch insure coverage maps are accurate and updated live as sites come online (with a two week or so lag before adding new coverage on the map).

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

[/quote']

If S4GRU was handling LTE deployment decisions, this is exactly what we would do!

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 2

If S4GRU was handling LTE deployment decisions, this is exactly what we would do!

Then that's precisely what should happen! We'll put Robert and a few others in charge of Sprint's NV initiative, replacing the folks at Samsung, Ericsson and A-L at the same time! ....and then nothing at all will happen because we have essentially zero experience in network buildout. So....the name of the game is get into it (as in, have patience and wait) or change carriers. And that's basically that.

• Like 1

Then that's precisely what should happen! We'll put Robert and a few others in charge of Sprint's NV initiative' date=' replacing the folks at Samsung, Ericsson and A-L at the same time! ....and then nothing at all will happen because we have essentially zero experience in network buildout. So....the name of the game is get into it (as in, have patience and wait) or change carriers. And that's basically that.[/quote']

I can run the NV deployment. Do you even know what I do for a living? I manage large scale construction deployments/capital projects and infrastructure. Marry my career expertise with my wireless knowledge and you have someone who could manage Network Vision.

However, I am not critical of the NV program in its entirety. I am just saying it would be a good move to open up LTE sites immediately when they are complete (in all markets), but hold the launch until 50% completion. Surely I can make such a suggestion to Sprint from my own site, right? Without having to apply for the job? Even if I am qualified...

• Like 4

I can run the NV deployment. Do you even know what I do for a living? I manage large scale construction deployments/capital projects and infrastructure. Marry my career expertise with my wireless knowledge and you have someone who could manage Network Vision.

However, I am not critical of the NV program in its entirety. I am just saying it would be a good move to open up LTE sites immediately when they are complete (in all markets), but hold the launch until 50% completion. Surely I can make such a suggestion to Sprint from my own site, right? Without having to apply for the job? Even if I am qualified...

Do it! LOL. Grease that big ol' corporate wheel and get it a-movin!!

But then with all the NDAs you'd have to sign, we'd never have any updates here. Or you'd have to turn the keys over to digiblur, AJ, etc and leak info to them.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...