Network Vision/LTE - Philadelphia Metro Market (including Lehigh Valley/Reading)

HappyHappy

Yeah, that "just turning it on" seems to be the sticky bit. It's great they've been accepted, but until they turn the things on they might as well be 1xRTT lol

Just had yet another experience of someone asking me for directions saying her phone wasn't working. My phone was showing 5 bars and a 3G indicator but wouldn't pull back data no matter which app I tried. I asked the girl to pull out her phone; it was a brand new looking EVO 4G, on Sprint, full bars, 3G indicator. Wouldn't pull back data no matter what app we tried. Eventually she went to ask a doorperson in the lobby of a nearby building.

This is not really acceptable for being downtown in the 5th largest metropolitan area in the US...so I wish they'd "just turn it on".

Not trying to rant, but seriously Sprint service is nearly unusable in Center City...if I were Sprint I'd be giving such a poorly served large market a disproportionate amount of attention.

Steve

I think I forgot to mention this, but when I spoke with the NV manager it seems as if they wanted to have a good coverage first then switch on the 4G LTE switch.

For sure, there are pretty of sites that are in good LTE standards.

Tower next to Neshaminy High School, in Langhorne just started pushing 1.5mb/s download and like 1mb/s upload. As of like 2-3 days ago, i check speedtest once in a while while in class. It's just so damn inconsistent and i can never even download a tiny app, i'm most likely switching to at&t by the end of the month...

It wouldn't surprise me if there are more LTE sites live but they're just not being reported to Sensorly or these forums just due to lack of knowledge about this site as well as interest in Sensorly. AT&T currently has my area blanketed in LTE but is omitted from AT&T 4G LTE as reported by sensorly. Not even a single road within 5 miles of where I live shows it on Sensorly however I know very well that this area is covered.

I forgot to mention this but I think one crew was out at 16th and locust last night near the city hall around 8-10pm.

I guess they are working on the towers. Speed was consistently 1.5-2.5 MB down.

"Dear Sprint,

Quickly bear more LTE. "

It is still too early. Like I said a month ago, it will take couple more month but no one believes me.

Just I more thing I want to say,

Philly area has 23% 3G updates done. So still a long way for complete 3G updates. SO, if you are having problems with 3G you're not the only one. I guess wait patiently and see what they are up to.

Just I more thing I want to say,

Philly area has 23% 3G updates done. So still a long way for complete 3G updates. SO, if you are having problems with 3G you're not the only one. I guess wait patiently and see what they are up to.

One last thing,

Philly will have 626 towers updates. Now they are working on 300, 23% of 300 is roughly 40 towers done.

So still a long way.

Were are you getting 626 towers updates number from?

One of the NV manager said there are 600 plus towers in Philadelphia region. She said they are working on 300 of these and they are about 25 percent done.

626 is from Official Sprint Community. They have all the information,

One of the NV manager said there are 600 plus towers in Philadelphia region. She said they are working on 300 of these and they are about 25 percent done.

626 is from Official Sprint Community. They have all the information,

All this info for all 97 Sprint markets is available in the S4GRU Sponsor section and a lot more.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I map Sensorly passively M through F from Fort Washington to Quakertown. I noticed that once tower PL73XC205 in Fort Washington got marked yellow in the NV Sites Complete forum, I consistently got 5 bars 3G, but was not able to use data for entire days? I just chalked it up to what might happen while the tower was being worked on.

So I guess, if my drive route wasn't already marked in Sensorly for 2G/3G, it would have been picked up along my drive, even though I couldn't connect to Pandora or Sirius until I moved passed the reach of that tower.

I'm actually working with one of the contractors for Alcatel-Lucent doing Fiber Optic Backhaul around Philadelphia Area. The towers and the MMBTS are set up and ready for the backhaul (Center City, University City, and other high traffic areas have 1GBit connections while everything else is between 150 and 500 MBit). Still looking at another month before the next round of Alcatel-Lucent contractors comes through and hooks up the fiber before handing the tower off to Sprint to light it up.

• Like 1

I'm actually working with one of the contractors for Alcatel-Lucent doing Fiber Optic Backhaul around Philadelphia Area. The towers and the MMBTS are set up and ready for the backhaul (Center City, University City, and other high traffic areas have 1GBit connections while everything else is between 150 and 500 MBit). Still looking at another month before the next round of Alcatel-Lucent contractors comes through and hooks up the fiber before handing the tower off to Sprint to light it up.

Any info on the Roxborough/Manayunk area? :D

Hi, Nolan! When you say that Center City has 1GBit of backhaul, I'm really hoping you mean WILL have...because near the towers marked as "completed" in the Sponsor section, I'm still getting <.1MBit down. I know connections to towers aren't consistent, etc. but I've been testing every day for more than a month and have never seen speeds exceed .3MBit down and even that is rare. I was assuming it was a backhaul issue...

Thanks for the info!

Steve

Hi, Nolan! When you say that Center City has 1GBit of backhaul, I'm really hoping you mean WILL have...because near the towers marked as "completed" in the Sponsor section, I'm still getting <.1MBit down. I know connections to towers aren't consistent, etc. but I've been testing every day for more than a month and have never seen speeds exceed .3MBit down and even that is rare. I was assuming it was a backhaul issue...

Thanks for the info!

Steve

From what I've seen, 3G can be accepted as complete without backhaul upgrades. Also, Nolan said backhaul still wasn't hooked up.