Network Vision/LTE - Philadelphia Metro Market (including Lehigh Valley/Reading)

HappyHappy

I don't think that Sprint favors tiny towns, but at the same time people are working on those projects why not pull them off to focus ALL man power on the biggest markets?

They have crews all over the market. They are moving on to each tower as soon as it is ready. Sure, they could pull all the crews from the rural areas, but then they would be sitting around because there wouldn't be enough towers ready to work on. If a tower is ready, but is removed from the metro area, they are not going to ignore it and wait for a tower in the city to be ready, they jump on each tower as soon as it is ready, no matter where it is. If the number of towers ready outpaces the number of crews, then they will likely add more crews to keep up. Sprint wants this project to move as quickly as possible, even if it doesn't seem like it right now.

Check out this article that Robert posted earlier today if you haven't already: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-339-sprint-internal-correspondence-discusses-network-vision-progressissues-with-employees/

To be honest, I don't even agree that all manpower available should be focused on large markets. Of course if you live IN the city, you think that. But MANY people live in the suburbs too, or commute through them. I really don't think you can say one is more important than the other.

• Like 1

Although we keep saying it, Sprint also addresses the issue of smaller cities and rural areas in this article we posted today:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-339-sprint-internal-correspondence-discusses-network-vision-progressissues-with-employees/

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Although we keep saying it, Sprint also addresses the issue of smaller cities and rural areas in this article we posted today:

http://s4gru.com/ind...with-employees/

I see you essentially answered the question I have regarding moving crews to bigger population areas, but I think it would have been more appropriate if they were to use an example of lets say a rural crew that is closer to a major city center. The way it was phrased by using Wichita, KS as the crew they would stop using wasn't really what I was thinking, I think the answer would have been different if the question posed by whomever was "Using your example above if we were to stop work in Lancaster could we launch Philadelphia sooner?(for the sake of this thread)"

I see you essentially answered the question I have regarding moving crews to bigger population areas, but I think it would have been more appropriate if they were to use an example of lets say a rural crew that is closer to a major city center. The way it was phrased by using Wichita, KS as the crew they would stop using wasn't really what I was thinking, I think the answer would have been different if the question posed by whomever was "Using your example above if we were to stop work in Lancaster could we launch Philadelphia sooner?(for the sake of this thread)"

As much as you may disagree with it, to utilize their spectrum and reduce costs, Sprint needs to overhaul it's whole network. This means they're not going to single out certain cities and focus all of their attention there. Complaining about it isn't going to help. They're hitting their stride with updates. If it works you up that much about their strategy then by all means pick a provider who does things you can live with.

Sprint doesn't prefer the outlying communities in the Philly market. Those sites are just ready first. The sites in the city take longer to plan, permit and expedite. Its just reality.

The folks working out in Reading and the Lehigh Valley are the same ones working in Philly. They work off a dispatch list of sites that are ready. And they work on dozens of sites at once. They work on sites in the city as they become ready too.

It is not as if one crew goes out and works on a site from start to finish until it is done. There are different trades doing different work from different contractors. One group delivers equipment, another group set base cabinets, another group installs panels and RRU's, then there are electricians that hook up the power to everything, there are backhaul vendors, there are RF technicians, there are techs that come and set up the base station cabinets and fire everything up, there are other still that get things online and test.

Each one of these groups works at site when the preceding activity is finished and ready for them. So the fact that an electrician is working on a site in Quakertown today is not material to all the sites not ready to start inside the City of Philadelphia. When a site is completely ready in Philly, then the sequence of activities will begin at sites there.

If it ever gets to the point in the Philly market where a lot of sites are ready to be worked on in the city, but they don't have enough workers to do the rural and the city, they will then move the workers into Philly and start ignoring the rural a. That has happened in many markets.

But if rural and outlying sites are ready to be converted, they will not leave crews sitting on their hands waiting for something in the City to show up. They will keep them moving. And this makes sense. Because Sprint is upgrading its entire network, even the rurals. Which is more than Tmo and AT&T are doing with LTE. They are skipping the rurals altogether, and will only have islands of LTE.

As much as you may disagree with it, to utilize their spectrum and reduce costs, Sprint needs to overhaul it's whole network. This means they're not going to single out certain cities and focus all of their attention there. Complaining about it isn't going to help. They're hitting their stride with updates. If it works you up that much about their strategy then by all means pick a provider who does things you can live with.

Says the man with LTE.

This will be the first decent size Philly update this week. Looks like production is finally ramping up. Stay tuned.

• Like 6

This will be the first decent size Philly update this week. Looks like production is finally ramping up. Stay tuned.

Glad to hear it, or at the very least acceptance is ramping up.

• Like 1

At this point, it would be very nice to see a new site on sensorly, if only to justify my constant, obsessive need to check the map once an hour!

A few posts up Robert mentioned a good site update this week for the Philly market. It should mean the more LTE will begin to show up soon. Sounds like production is starting to ramp up as we though it would.

A few posts up Robert mentioned a good site update this week for the Philly market. It should mean the more LTE will begin to show up soon. Sounds like production is starting to ramp up as we though it would.

I know, that's what I was referring to, I probably should have quoted it, my bad.

AlcaLu had a pretty large update of accepted sites in the Philly market this week. They really haven't switched to 4/G mode yet in their deployment. The one site live is a brand new site and was built with 4G from the ground up.

AlcaLu will likely switch on a lot more LTE at completed sites in the next 30 days. And then it should be steady after that.

• Like 1

Which site is it that is built from ground up? I would like to test it out sometimes in the next few days.

It's an existing colocated site. Sprint just recently was added to the site. It is located off US 1 in Lima, just south of the Wawa Preserve. Out past Media. You can see it on the Sponsor maps.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

AlcaLu had a pretty large update of accepted sites in the Philly market this week. They really haven't switched to 4/G mode yet in their deployment. The one site live is a brand new site and was built with 4G from the ground up.

AlcaLu will likely switch on a lot more LTE at completed sites in the next 30 days. And then it should be steady after that.

PRAISE JESUS