Network Vision/LTE - Las Vegas Market

Timbax

The norm? There is no norm. A good signal on Band 41 can get up to 70Mbps. 

I don't think we know for sure of any 8T8R sites that are currently live. I can't tell if these tests are a NV 2.0 site or a converted Clear site.

This site is not a converted site and the Clearwire tower is about 500 feet away (CoLo with AT&T). No this is a new NV2.0 site and I found a full cluster in the area. Still not sure if all are currently running as planned due to current install processes. 

I don't think they currently run the site at full power. I have seen Spark sites doing 60MB + but Vegas has not been launched and who knows what they're doing. Still 30MB+ is not bad for Sprint and for most people it will not make a difference if you update your facebook at 30 or 60 down :rasp:

Those are the speeds one would expect at those signal levels. In order to see the 60+ you have to have a pretty strong signal. How close were you to the site? Do you think you can say for sure it was the new equipment? If so, it could be the first site like it to be confirmed live.

Sent from my Nexus 5

It's low. The site was either being hammered by other triband users, or the site hasn't had it's backhaul upgraded.

Sent from my Nexus 5

That could be the reason because the current B25 speed from that tower makes the old MetroPCS LTE network look fast. It's a sign of progress and nothing more. 

Those are the speeds one would expect at those signal levels. In order to see the 60+ you have to have a pretty strong signal. How close were you to the site? Do you think you can say for sure it was the new equipment? If so, it could be the first site like it to be confirmed live.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I looked at Google Maps to compare and yes the panels are new. It's not the Clearwire site and yes I get about 69db close to the tower. I was about 2-3 miles away from the site and I have seen two other towers on Las Vegas Blvd. that have the same setup now. Looks like Sprint is doing something right in Las Vegas and ones they get the backhaul running we should see a monster waking up. 

I looked at Google Maps to compare and yes the panels are new. It's not the Clearwire site and yes I get about 69db close to the tower. I was about 2-3 miles away from the site and I have seen two other towers on Las Vegas Blvd. that have the same setup now. Looks like Sprint is doing something right in Las Vegas and ones they get the backhaul running we should see a monster waking up.

-69dBm on Band 41? I think that qualifies. Congrats!

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

Can you run another speed test when you out there again at getting 69db?

It was actually pretty good for the signal level.

I was out in LV 2 weeks ago at the Planet.  Speeds were crawling at 500k on B25 day and night.  Hopefully they can get B41 up and running quickly on the strip!

Can you run another speed test when you out there again at getting 69db?

I did and all I got was 37/38MB down. I am sure the site is not yet fully online and Sprint is tweaking the area. Their B25 towers are not all fully online and some sectors seem to be offline especially on the 3G side as data speeds are still below freezing!

I did and all I got was 37/38MB down. I am sure the site is not yet fully online and Sprint is tweaking the area. Their B25 towers are not all fully online and some sectors seem to be offline especially on the 3G side as data speeds are still below freezing!

Sounds like backhaul isn't fully upgraded. There shouldn't be enough users yet on Band 41 to pull speeds down that much.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Looks like they either haven't provisioned the backhaul fully yet or they're rate limiting it. I know Tmobile rate limited their LTE service when they were doing load and equipment tests so Sprint might be doing the same. 

• Like 1

The real question is, how was the B41 coverage from this one tower?

That is hard to tell because the sites in the area are not fully active. The CSN campus is about 3 miles away and I am able to hold a signal inside B41 signal but the B25 signal was not as strong. I will drive a little around this morning before I return to SoCal tomorrow. 

• Like 2

That is hard to tell because the sites in the area are not fully active. The CSN campus is about 3 miles away and I am able to hold a signal inside B41 signal but the B25 signal was not as strong. I will drive a little around this morning before I return to SoCal tomorrow. 

So wait, let me get this straight, your picking up a stronger B41signal from inside than B25 from the same site??

So wait, let me get this straight, your picking up a stronger B41signal from inside than B25 from the same site??

It seems like it because I checked this morning the B25 and B41 signal strength and B41 is still winning. Not sure why but I bet that Sprint is currently testing signals and it makes it easier to connect to B41. Guess some of the technical people here will be able to explain what Sprint is doing.

It seems like it because I checked this morning the B25 and B41 signal strength and B41 is still winning. Not sure why but I bet that Sprint is currently testing signals and it makes it easier to connect to B41. Guess some of the technical people here will be able to explain what Sprint is doing.

If I'm not mistaken, this was supposed to be one of the advantages of Beamforming technology. If not, there is another Band 41 LTE site nearby that we don't realize is active.

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, this was supposed to be one of the advantages of Beamforming technology. If not, there is another Band 41 LTE site nearby that we don't realize is active.

This is precisely what im hoping! 

I drove around and I found 7 sites with the same setup so there is hope that Sprint will launch Las Vegas as a Spark market from the start.

• Like 4

I drove around and I found 7 sites with the same setup so there is hope that Sprint will launch Las Vegas as a Spark market from the start.

Were these all just in North Las Vegas, or in different parts of the city?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Were these all just in North Las Vegas, or in different parts of the city?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Not sure yet because I will venture out into the city today. I am planning to look at a Clearwire site I know is located at the D parking garage and that you can take close ups and I want to see if they been updating the site. I will see if I can map the current cluster a little better.

Not sure yet because I will venture out into the city today. I am planning to look at a Clearwire site I know is located at the D parking garage and that you can take close ups and I want to see if they been updating the site. I will see if I can map the current cluster a little better.

You can ignore the Motorola Clearwire sites. They arent capable of tddlte at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1