Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

I spent a few hours in and around Woodfield mall yesterday. I was on 3G the entire time. I just checked the map and there are some 4G towers in that area. I'm really getting worried with my phone. The rollout continues to get better but I'm still on 3G the majority of the time.

I see you're running an EVO LTE, which would explain your issues. If you look at the map on Sensorly, you'll see the Woodfield area is very well covered with LTE.

@mhammet - Whoa, talk about turning the clock back. You're replying to posts from literally five months ago. Thanks for the information though nonetheless.

In the NV Sites Complete map we only show sites that are accepted by Sprint as complete. They may be operational before Sprint inspects and accept them.

Also, it is not permissible to post Sponsor content in public forums. There is a disclaimer underneath all the Sponsor maps explaining that limits of the usage of the data. Your post has been edited.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

My apologies, Robert...that was a mistake. I am fully aware of the Sponsor rules...I've seen you slap a few hands before so now I know how it feels! :-) I'll be more careful going forward.

Oh yeah...thanks for answering my question, too.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mhammet, you are correct.when i lived in Kentucky the servers i used were based in Chicago!!.so the trip the signal made was 1000 miles or so.Crappy ass network provider was lazy as hell.So your physical location argument is VERY valid.Just my 2 cents.

I have an S3, and I regularly travel all over Chicagoland. I live in Naperville, work downtown, and am often in the northwest burbs, north burbs, south burbs, and northwest Indiana. Everywhere. And not even once have I noticed a 4G signal on my phone.

Even though there are huge areas that have yet to be addressed, I've gone through areas that are supposedly up.

I'm a bit worried.

I have an S3, and I regularly travel all over Chicagoland. I live in Naperville, work downtown, and am often in the northwest burbs, north burbs, south burbs, and northwest Indiana. Everywhere. And not even once have I noticed a 4G signal on my phone.

Even though there are huge areas that have yet to be addressed, I've gone through areas that are supposedly up.

I'm a bit worried.

Make sure your phone Network Mode is set to LTE, not just CDMA. Settings->More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode assuming you're running the new Jelly Bean update. For a while sprint was shipping phones with only CDMA enabled.

I'm a bit worried.

I too have an S3. I live in the far Northwest Suburbs, and have traveled to the City, through O'Hare, around Woodfield, and into the Wheaton area, and have gotten LTE coverage that has ranged from mediocre to "Wow, this is so fast you've got to be kidding!" Echoing gof, you need to be sure your phone is set up right. If it is, and you're still not getting 4G, you should contact Sprint customer care, as something is likely wrong with the phone. (Sadly, where I live is on the "sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't" fringe of 4G coverage, at least for now.)

Odd thing I've noticed around here is 800 Mhz seems to come and go randomly. Before, it would disappear for maybe a day, then come back and stay on for weeks. Now it seems just a couple weeks after the sites switched from 3G to 3G/800 on the maps, I haven't seen 800 active in over a week. Must be related to testing or something.

Make sure your phone Network Mode is set to LTE, not just CDMA. Settings->More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode assuming you're running the new Jelly Bean update. For a while sprint was shipping phones with only CDMA enabled.

That was it! You sir are a scholar and a gentleman. I am in Schererville IN today and getting 4G. Speeds are all over the place, but fast. THANK YOU.

• Like 2

That was it! You sir are a scholar and a gentleman. I am in Schererville IN today and getting 4G. Speeds are all over the place, but fast. THANK YOU.

Glad to help. I never really understood why Sprint was shipping phones with LTE disabled completely :scratch:

• Like 1

Anyone have any 4G LTE info for the other half on the Northwest Indiana region ? I operate mostly in the vicinity just east of the Gary area (Hobart, Portage, Valparaiso, Michigan City). I've been through Gary and LTE service out there is great !!! I've seen a couple of crews working on towers out here the last couple of months, but i'm not sure it that was an AT&T or T-Mobile tower. B)

Anyone have any 4G LTE info for the other half on the Northwest Indiana region ? I operate mostly in the vicinity just east of the Gary area (Hobart, Portage, Valparaiso, Michigan City). I've been through Gary and LTE service out there is great !!! I've seen a couple of crews working on towers out here the last couple of months, but i'm not sure it that was an AT&T or T-Mobile tower. B)

Work is starting in this area now. Should start seeing work and testing signals in the next few weeks.

Odd thing I've noticed around here is 800 Mhz seems to come and go randomly. Before, it would disappear for maybe a day, then come back and stay on for weeks. Now it seems just a couple weeks after the sites switched from 3G to 3G/800 on the maps, I haven't seen 800 active in over a week. Must be related to testing or something.

I have noticed the same thing driving around today, that a few sites that have been confirmed are not broadcasting it anymore. One of the sites is by route 59 and higgins. Today it was broadcasting the pcs signal not smr, but others that not havent shown as 800 sites yet are broadcasting it. Yet it may show in roberts next update, I know the site by my parents in elgin. That is on top of the old sherman, is broadcasting smr and 4g now. I have been enjoying 25-30 mb download and 10-13 on the upload. I have done a lot of sensorly trips in helping fill in a lot of areas that people havent went around elgin too.

Hope ever one had a good thanksgiving!! Also wanted to thank robert for this website, I would have probably canceled my sprint account a long time ago. Yet I am commited to staying with a company that gives you unlimited and doesn't over charge u for everything.

• Like 1

Work is starting in this area now. Should start seeing work and testing signals in the next few weeks.

I have been mapping with sensorly. I work in Merrillville, IN and have been able to Map 95% of it. I have noticed that LTE has a hard time making a hand off in certain areas. While I was heading north into Gary, IN I would lose LTE. I would have to cycle airplane mode and it would be available at full strength.

LTE is available east of I65 into Hobart, IN on RT 6 near Wisconsin Street. Also I can get it on 80/94 until Lake Station border. Once in Lake Station there is a very strong 3G signal, near 2mb down. I am looking forward to having LTE in Porter County, IN.

Anyone else from "The Region" able to get 4G east of Lake Station/Hobart?

The problems in June and July with dropping calls seem to be a thing of the pass. I am currently a happy Sprint customer.

Things are looking on the up and up, Luke

I have a friend in Chicago with an expiring Nexus S who lives on the North Side with an expanding LTE footprint. What LTE device shall I recommend?

Could not be happier with the GS3 but new phones are always coming out. Recommend going to the store and playing with all of them.

Edited by Luke0536

I have been mapping with sensorly. I work in Merrillville, IN and have been able to Map 95% of it. I have noticed that LTE has a hard time making a hand off in certain areas. While I was heading north into Gary, IN I would lose LTE. I would have to cycle airplane mode and it would be available at full strength.

LTE is available east of I65 into Hobart, IN on RT 6 near Wisconsin Street. Also I can get it on 80/94 until Lake Station border. Once in Lake Station there is a very strong 3G signal, near 2mb down. I am looking forward to having LTE in Porter County, IN.

Anyone else from "The Region" able to get 4G east of Lake Station/Hobart?

The problems in June and July with dropping calls seem to be a thing of the pass. I am currently a happy Sprint customer.

Things are looking on the up and up, Luke

I've mapped some of Gary, Merrillville & Crown Point with Sensorly. I've noticed also the same hand off issue you have as well with my Note II (just letting you know it's not just your phone). I may have to scrounge together a few dollars to donate in order to find out where all the 4G towers will be located. I'm just so glad that Sprint has finally move forward with 4G in this area. I was so excited about (WiMax) 4G coming to this area before that I got in line the first day the EVO came out and bought it outright ($500.00 or so). Needless to say I was let down paying an extra $10 bucks a month as well as spending $500, but i'm impressed with how quickly Sprint has rebounded. I understand what it feels like starting from scratch with new technology and what large scale implementation can be like (IT Manager).

I've mapped some of Gary, Merrillville & Crown Point with Sensorly. I've noticed also the same hand off issue you have as well with my Note II (just letting you know it's not just your phone). I may have to scrounge together a few dollars to donate in order to find out where all the 4G towers will be located. I'm just so glad that Sprint has finally move forward with 4G in this area. I was so excited about (WiMax) 4G coming to this area before that I got in line the first day the EVO came out and bought it outright ($500.00 or so). Needless to say I was let down paying an extra $10 bucks a month as well as spending $500, but i'm impressed with how quickly Sprint has rebounded. I understand what it feels like starting from scratch with new technology and what large scale implementation can be like (IT Manager).

I know how you feel. I was in the same boat. I bought the original epic leaving Verizon early in hopes of having wimax. Have you been able to get lte in crown point or know if it's available in Miller?

I know how you feel. I was in the same boat. I bought the original epic leaving Verizon early in hopes of having wimax. Have you been able to get lte in crown point or know if it's available in Miller?

Most of Crown Point is not covered. From Merrilville into Crown Point, it works until you hit the Lake County Government building. From there until the hospital, you only get 3G. I haven't been able to make it past the hospital but I heard it works south of there and into Lowell. As far as the Gary signal, it startd about a half mile east of I-65 and US 12/20. So basically the answer to the miller question is no. I found it funny they didn't light miller up because one, ...it's a part of Gary, and two, it's the most populated (and largest income earning) area of Gary.

Edited by Jamal46409

I was in the Bucktown/Wicker Park area at the Double Door last night. I got 4G a few blocks (south?) from the Double Door but not in the building. I'm not sure if it's a building penetration thing, because I forgot to check outside the building, but LTE is in Wicker Park, if not covering it.

I searched the thread and only found a result from September, so I figured I'd post this in case anyone was wondering about that area.

Oh, and I didn't get to map it on Sensorly because I needed my GPS also and do not own a car charger, so I couldn't risk the battery drain. Sorry about that.

I see you're running an EVO LTE, which would explain your issues. If you look at the map on Sensorly, you'll see the Woodfield area is very well covered with LTE.

@mhammet - Whoa, talk about turning the clock back. You're replying to posts from literally five months ago. Thanks for the information though nonetheless.

Yup, new member and I'm wanting to get caught up with what's going on instead of randomly posting questions to things already covered. I also (apparently) have to correct things that have been sitting out there that aren't correct. ;-)

Mhammet, you are correct.when i lived in Kentucky the servers i used were based in Chicago!!.so the trip the signal made was 1000 miles or so.Crappy ass network provider was lazy as hell.So your physical location argument is VERY valid.Just my 2 cents.

Very true, if your provider's transport went back to 350 E. Cermak Chicago to pick up something cheap such as Hurricane Electric and the speed test in the town next door's transport went to say 56 Marietta in Atlanta, your speed test to next door could have gone to Chicago then NYC then Atlanta then to your neighbor.

Another example of this? If you're on any Boingo hotspot, your traffic is hauled to Austin first. I know this because when on a Boingo hotspot served by my network, my traceroutes go through Austin when going to another location on my network.

Why would that be that the signal doesn't reach ground level? I also noticed that in my building in the west loop. I am on the 5th floor and get intermitent 4G signal, but then I get outside and nothing. Thoughts?

Different materials have different signal attenuation for different frequencies. Typically, the more solid the material, the less likely your signal is to penetrate it. With all else equal, lower frequencies will (normally) penetrate materials better than higher frequencies. An obvious exception to this rule is that 80 GHz has better free space loss characteristics than 60 GHz because 60 GHz has high oxygen absorption characteristics. These two bands will be key in dense backhaul environments.

Antenna down-tilt is also a major factor. There are less likely to be people hundreds of feet off the ground than on the ground. Operators will physically tilt the antennas down so that the elevation of their radiation pattern tops out at a certain distance from the tower (cell size). This is to reduce self-interference when doing higher density deployments. Obviously in locations like Chicago, Downers Grove, Oak Brook and Schaumburg, some antennas will be pointed higher - depending on their distance from the buildings - to provide services to devices on higher floors.

Downtown by the college. Just mapped a little bit on Sensorly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using JB 4.1.1

I thought you said you didn't collect with Sensorly. ;-)

Two guys at the top of the tower and about three on the ground. Whoever pointed out that the NV panels are as big as a person was right. It will be interesting to see how soon the LTE lights up on that tower.

Lower frequencies require physically larger antenna to achieve the same gain and radiation patterns. Sprint was in 1900 MHz, but now are planning for 800 MHz LTE and voice. That will require a much larger antenna.

It is becoming increasingly common to house multiple arrays in a given enclosure. These arrays may be on different bands or have different radiation patterns. This tactic typically carries reduced wind\structure loading, so the carriers can deploy more sectors or be charged a lower lease. My bet is on the ability to deploy more sectors.

This NV upgrade process has consumed me. I find myself craning my neck at every tower to check the panels. It's a new hobby while driving :)

I've been doing that for about 8 years as I'm in the wireless industry. When I was in Mexico, I was going crazy looking at every tower and tall building. They had a lot.

Your phone stays connected to the Sprint network even when your phone is on WiFi. It still gets time updates from your local tower unless you go into airplane mode. I would turn off automatic time until Sprint fixes the time zone problem.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

I wish the phones would provide an option to use GPS time.

I was at my local Sprint store today upgrading a family members phone, the rep and I got to jawing about LTE in Chicago. He proceeded to tell me that just this week they installed what he called an LTE box in the back office of their store. He didnt know what it was for, does anyone have any ideas?

This was on the roof.

398-600x600-img-250x250.jpg

Are the stores getting an LTE microcell to help them sell phones and show off their new network?

It doesn't make sense for them to do so there as that location isn't far from a Sprint tower. According to some of the microwave licenses, it's a major tower location, likely due to the fiber in the ground there.

AT&T covers a much wider area per cell. That's why their signal seems to be stronger further away from the tower. Because of the signal type, Sprint has to place their towers closer together, and in densely populated areas, they put a severe downtilt on the cells so that they can maximize capacity, but it limits coverage. Some cells only cover a couple of blocks.

However, this will work in Sprint's favor, as it will help to keep them from getting overloaded as quickly at AT&T or Verizon will/have already since Sprint has denser coverage.

AT&T's LTE is likely running on 700 MHz, while Sprint's currently is on 1900. When they deploy 800 MHz LTE, that advantage will largely be gone. It'll still play a role when at the edge of their license area.

Very interesting I never knew that. Is downtilt a physical characteristic of the installation or is the signal digitally "steerable"? ( I'm an audio guy and steerable line arrays are all the rage to let you control directivity of an array without physically moving it.) You'd think that they'd adjust tilt to cover large areas initially and then tilt them down as more sites are added...even if that caused the capacity to be spread thinner in the meantime, most customers would be happier if that 4G light stayed on more.

Mostly physical, but beam steering\forming technologies exist. They are slowly making their way into commercial use. Largely so far they've been used in military applications. A few companies in the WiFi space have used similar techniques going back 6 - 8 years.

Don't torrent on mobile networks. Each cell is shared by almost 100 people or more. If you're torrenting it will slow everyone else down. Use your own connection to torrent. You're not going to be able to seed via Sprint's network anyways as NAT is in place. Speedtest.net is decently accurate, you're not going to get results that are that extremely far off.

The same thing goes for speed tests. Don't do those constantly. I cringe every time I hear someone say they did 2 gigs worth of speed tests that day. Absolutely unnecessary and a detriment to the network.

There are two adjustments for downtilt. One physical to start. Then after that the three sections inside the one panel have independent downtilt adjustments that can be done thousands of miles away. They can change the tilt of 800, pcs evdo/1x, and pcs lte all independently.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Are they physically steering the array or is it electronic beam forming?

• Like 3