Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Do you think its a coincidence the first major markets to get Network Vision and now the two most advanced in Chicago and Houston are the two that WiWavelength outlined were the most CDMA2000 spectrum constrained for Sprint.  I think not.  They have defiantly had an emphasis on Chicago.  I am not 100% sure why, but I have heard a rumor that while Sprint is regarded as the #3 or #4 carrier nationwide, in Chicago they may be #2 in terms of subscribers in the market.  So more subs than anyone where else along with less spectrum is not a good combination for delivering quality service.  That may be they prioritized Chicago so high and pushed NV so hard hard here between mid 2012 and late 2013.

Motorola to Samsung. That is all. 

How is Evdo there? If it is like my market, everyone is on the LTE river creating a huge log jam, so if you switch to the evdo you end up with the 1 to 1.5 mbit evdo which is better than the dead LTE.

My experience is similar to Vince.  He gets around more due to his line of work.  I frolic around city hotspots, work downtown, and live not far from Wrigley, but like he said there haven't really been any performance changes (improvements) on either B25 or EVDO since we noticed the degraded performance months ago.  My speeds are similar to his.  I have a GS3 so I can't comment on B41.

Absolutely. Band 41 is in enough places here to compensate for degraded 25. And it's glorious. Blazing fast.

Vince

Do you think it could be victimized by if you build it they will come, kind of like B25.  What if tomorrow everyone had a Tri-Band device and had access to B41, would it degrade?  In the manner in which we saw B25? Is it less crowding degrade proof somehow?

Do you think it could be victimized by if you build it they will come, kind of like B25.  What if tomorrow everyone had a Tri-Band device and had access to B41, would it degrade?  In the manner in which we saw B25? Is it less crowding degrade proof somehow?

Yes, Much more capacity on a single carrier and Sprint can deploy quite a few carriers. A 20mhz TDD carrier should realistically be able to give ~75mbps throughput downstream. Whereas a 5mhz FDD will give ~35. Then, you factor in that Sprint can deploy at least 3 of those carriers (probably more but I'm not sure on their holdings in Chicago).

My experience is similar to Vince.  He gets around more due to his line of work.  I frolic around city hotspots, work downtown, and live not far from Wrigley, but like he said there haven't really been any performance changes (improvements) on either B25 or EVDO since we noticed the degraded performance months ago.  My speeds are similar to his.  I have a GS3 so I can't comment on B41.

So there's a disconnect between what is actually go on there and what the executives think is going on there.  Confusing....on purpose or just plain idiots?

So there's a disconnect between what is actually go on there and what the executives think is going on there. Confusing....on purpose or just plain idiots?

It's disturbing in either case. :unsure:

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

It's disturbing in either case. :unsure:Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Someone needs to tell Dan to leave the pom-poms at home then when going to Chicago.

Thanks for the responses guys, haven't followed this market and was curious after hearing the glorious comments on the call today.

So there's a disconnect between what is actually go on there and what the executives think is going on there.  Confusing....on purpose or just plain idiots?

It might be the Ericsson network management filter in action.....

Someone needs to tell Dan to leave the pom-poms at home then when going to Chicago.

Thanks for the responses guys, haven't followed this market and was curious after hearing the glorious comments on the call today.

NV did make a huge difference outside of the downtown congested areas though. I have a single band One and have very good data rates pretty much everywhere. 4g is quick and if I am on 3g it is 1Mbps in a good chuck of the suburbs.

I really am surprised how fast LTE speeds fell downtown. It seemed like from what people were saying one week they were great and the next week they were horrible. It had a lot of us scratching our heads trying to figure it out.

• Like 1

It might be the Ericsson network management filter in action.....

Probably right on that one..

NV did make a huge difference outside of the downtown congested areas though. I have a single band One and have very good data rates pretty much everywhere. 4g is quick and if I am on 3g it is 1Mbps in a good chuck of the suburbs. I really am surprised how fast LTE speeds fell downtown. It seemed like from what people were saying one week they were great and the next week they were horrible. It had a lot of us scratching our heads trying to figure it out.

Sounds like my area as well. Outskirts of town is fine but anywhere actually in the city is useless. Found this same thing in a few other markets as well.

• Like 2

It all seem to go downhill after the release of the new Iphone. :td:

Maybe Apple prioritizing the iphone PRL with B26 will help relieve some of B25 stress.

Do we know for sure if 26 has a higher priority than 25 on the iPhone? I can't really seem to find that answer. Plus, I think band switching is controlled by the network.

Vince

Do we know for sure if 26 has a higher priority than 25 on the iPhone? I can't really seem to find that answer. Plus, I think band switching is controlled by the network.

Vince

What band you stay connected to is determined by the network and your signal level. 

Do you think it could be victimized by if you build it they will come, kind of like B25. What if tomorrow everyone had a Tri-Band device and had access to B41, would it degrade? In the manner in which we saw B25? Is it less crowding degrade proof somehow?

It shouldn't. Once there are plenty of tri band devices in the wild, and Sprint actually launches a true tri band city, the network will divvy up the traffic as necessary. So instead of every phone hammering band 25, they'll be thinned out amongst the bands. And sprint has a ton of available spectrum to increase capacity on 41 as necessary.

Vince

Vince

This is only my assumption from what I've read around the forum, maybe someone can chime in with specifics on the current state of the iphone PRL

cough cough...Digiblur

This is only my assumption from what I've read around the forum, maybe someone can chime in with specifics on the current state of the iphone PRL

cough cough...Digiblur

All I know is prl does not control LTE. And LTE is controlled by the network. However that works remains a mystery to me.

Vince

Vince is correct, the PRL doesn't do anything with LTE except one minor thing.  "Should I scan for it in this part of the US or not?"  And that answer is yes in every area of the US.  After that the device gets all its direction and rules from the network.  Even on CSFB devices when connected to the LTE network all the PRL rules go out the window since the network dictates the 1x tunneling as well.

Gotcha, I have a nagging suspicion that the release of the iphone 5S and C and people moving from the iphone 4 and 4s are the major culprit for the massive decline of LTE speeds in metropolitan areas. In midtown Manhattan B25 becomes unusable at certain times of the day.

It all seem to go downhill after the release of the new Iphone.  :td:

Maybe Apple prioritizing the iphone PRL with B26 will help relieve some of B25 stress.

Could be, I was pretty active in the discussion on this arena.  The timing of the B25 woes seemed to coincide more with Sprint's marketing push for the new "built for you Chicago....10x faster LTE network" along with the migration of about 500K additional subscribers from USCC to Sprint, and I don't think there were any Tri-Band devices at the time so all those new subs were given B25 LTE devices only. 

No problems with Band 41.  One Band 41 20MHz TDD carrier has about three times as much capacity as one Band 25 5MHz FDD carrier.  So, right off the bat it can handle triple the traffic.  If Band 25 could handle triple the amount of traffic it does, then Chicago wouldn't even have an LTE capacity problem.

But the good news doesn't stop there.  Sprint has enough spectrum to deploy between 3 and 8 Band 41 carriers around the country.  They plan to add a second carrier next year in most Spark markets when they start issuing devices capable of carrier aggregation.  Sprint has so much capacity available in Band 41, it can handle just about anything customers can throw at it for the forseeable future.  Sprint has more Band 41 capacity than any other single wireless provider has total of all their spectrum combined.

Robert

• Like 3

No problems with Band 41.  One Band 41 20MHz TDD carrier has about three times as much capacity as one Band 25 5MHz FDD carrier.  So, right off the bat it can handle triple the traffic.  If Band 25 could handle triple the amount of traffic it does, then Chicago wouldn't even have an LTE capacity problem.

But the good news doesn't stop there.  Sprint has enough spectrum to deploy between 3 and 8 Band 41 carriers around the country.  They plan to add a second carrier next year in most Spark markets when they start issuing devices capable of carrier aggregation.  Sprint has so much capacity available in Band 41, it can handle just about anything customers can throw at it for the forseeable future.  Sprint has more Band 41 capacity than any other single wireless provider has total of all their spectrum combined.

Robert

I really need to get a band 41 device lol...

Robert

Band41 is the savior for that which is Sprint's LTE, Spark, and Network Vision.  They should be pounding this fact at every opportunity possible.