Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

I'm kind of surprised that the Edens and Kennedy aren't filled in on Sensorly. I would have thought that those highways would have LTE (based on Completed Sites map) and people running the app.

--Edit--

Taking a second look at the completed sites map I guess it is only 2 sites that likely hit the highway in those areas so depending on how far the distance it travels it probably isn't that surprising.

I'm kind of surprised that the Edens and Kennedy aren't filled in on Sensorly. I would have thought that those highways would have LTE (based on Completed Sites map) and people running the app.

--Edit--

Taking a second look at the completed sites map I guess it is only 2 sites that likely hit the highway in those areas so depending on how far the distance it travels it probably isn't that surprising.

I commute daily on the Edens from the South Loop to the north shore. It's true that only a small stretch just west of Winnetka on the Edens has LTE. However, just a few months ago 3G was so bad that I couldn't stream Spotify/Pandora. Now they're streaming great on 3g with just a few hiccups near the Circle interchange and the Edens junction. That to me is more important than LTE.

I commute daily on the Edens from the South Loop to the north shore. It's true that only a small stretch just west of Winnetka on the Edens has LTE. However, just a few months ago 3G was so bad that I couldn't stream Spotify/Pandora. Now they're streaming great on 3g with just a few hiccups near the Circle interchange and the Edens junction. That to me is more important than LTE.

That's great to hear. I agree that even if it isn't LTE, usable 3G will suffice for what people need to do in the car.

My Verizon contract is over and I've been waiting patiently to switch to Sprint. A number of people have told me not to switch to Sprint yet because of the whole network transition. They say voice calls drop very often, text messages are received hours later, and even basic internet access (3G) is unreliable. To me, 4G coverage would be icing, but what about the basics?

A long time ago there was a post about an issue being discovered that you could not handoff between the legacy Motorola system and the new Samsung system. Has that issue been fixed?

Are people still seeing tons of dropped calls? Where have those issues been fixed and where do those issues still exist?

As the network is transitioning to LTE is that also fixing all of the voice and texting issues?

Stick with Verizon for a bit longer. Coming from their stellar network to sprints right now is not going to be a great experience, but soon.soon

stock unrooted gs3

Not sure if this is the best location to post this but just wanted to let everyone know I'm pulling in LTE in multiple locations in the city. On the Red Line from Addison to Lawrence! Also, more importantly for me in my apartment on the corner of Granville and Broadway in Edgewater/Rogers Park (60660). Great news, really glad to see Sprint make this happen. Really great speed results also, just tested it with the speedtest.net app and got a download of 7047kbps and upload of 8332kbps. As you all know 3g is absolutely horrendous in Chicago so it's a welcome improvement.

-Adam

Edited by adam2022
  • Like 1

But like the previous person wrote: are the calls any more reliable and texts coming instantly through the new nv towers?

In my opinion it's the best it's been for the past 6 months right now at this point.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using JB 4.1.1

• Like 1

I have a question regarding the time on the S3. I know that we have had problems with the phones reflecting Eastern Standard Time when picking up LTE signals. This this still be the case when I am connected on WIFI? For the past few weeks, I have at times seen that my phone shows Eastern Time when I am at home on my WIFI. I checked my router just in case, but it was set properly with Central Time. It didn't bother me that much, but this morning it came to head when my alarm went off an hour early... I got up took a shower and was almost done getting ready for work when I noticed I was up at 5 am. vs. 6 am. So, needless to say I turned off automatic time on my phone.

After all that, my question is would the LTE towers still have been impacting my time even though I was on my home WIFI?

Just wondering.

I have a question regarding the time on the S3. I know that we have had problems with the phones reflecting Eastern Standard Time when picking up LTE signals. This this still be the case when I am connected on WIFI? For the past few weeks, I have at times seen that my phone shows Eastern Time when I am at home on my WIFI. I checked my router just in case, but it was set properly with Central Time. It didn't bother me that much, but this morning it came to head when my alarm went off an hour early... I got up took a shower and was almost done getting ready for work when I noticed I was up at 5 am. vs. 6 am. So, needless to say I turned off automatic time on my phone.

After all that, my question is would the LTE towers still have been impacting my time even though I was on my home WIFI?

Just wondering.

I believe the time is still controlled by the phone signal even though you're on Wi-Fi. When I first began receiving an LTE signal it would be an hour ahead. I turned off the automatic time and it took care of it.

Not sure if anyone is from the Evanston area, but LTE has starting lighting up around town. Apparently the iPhone can't map the areas on Sensorly, but maybe someone else can do it.

I was able to pick it up at Crawford and Central, parts of downtown Evanston and then South Evanston (Chicago/Main area, specifically at the Firehouse Grill on Chicago)

Still can't pick up a signal near my house (by the stadium on Central), but it's getting closer.

• Like 1

Your phone stays connected to the Sprint network even when your phone is on WiFi. It still gets time updates from your local tower unless you go into airplane mode. I would turn off automatic time until Sprint fixes the time zone problem.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Stick with Verizon for a bit longer. Coming from their stellar network to sprints right now is not going to be a great experience, but soon.soon

stock unrooted gs3

I would agree with this, Id say we reached the halfway point for Chicago network build out, but I would give it some time to mature. I'd say shoot for January 2013 as a good switchover point, that should give Sprint's build out time to fill in, the kinks to be worked out, and more sites to come live.

I would agree with this' date=' Id say we reached the halfway point for Chicago network build out, but I would give it some time to mature. I'd say shoot for January 2013 as a good switchover point, that should give Sprint's build out time to fill in, the kinks to be worked out, and more sites to come live.[/quote']

There is some excitement to being an early adopter. If you find network deployment exciting and tracking it (as many people around here do), then there is nothing wrong with moving over now. If you want the network to be like Ron Popeil...

"Just set it, and forget it!"

Then waiting another month or two is good advice.

Are we still thinking that the official Chicago market launch will take place this month?

Official? Maybe. But it feels at least 2-3 weeks out to me.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the best location to post this but just wanted to let everyone know I'm pulling in LTE in multiple locations in the city. On the Red Line from Addison to Lawrence! Also, more importantly for me in my apartment on the corner of Granville and Broadway in Edgewater/Rogers Park (60660). Great news, really glad to see Sprint make this happen. Really great speed results also, just tested it with the speedtest.net app and got a download of 7047kbps and upload of 8332kbps. As you all know 3g is absolutely horrendous in Chicago so it's a welcome improvement.

-Adam

I live only about five blocks away (Ridge and Bryn Mawr), but don't have LTE at home yet. I'll take a walk up Broadway tonight to see exactly where it kicks on.

In my opinion it's the best it's been for the past 6 months right now at this point.

As long as they are done with the NV upgrades all around you. They are still busy with completing Chicago and it can be spotty in parts.