Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Well I just got back from Best Buy not far from me on the North Riverside/Berwyn boarder and was rocking at about 25mb downloads on speed test. According to someone in another forum the 37-38mb download speeds were extremely fast so here is what I got from emailing it to myself and click the link it will show the results.

Test Date: Oct 6, 2012 1:53:09 pm

Connection Type: Lte

Server: Chicago, IL

Download: 37.30 Mbps

Upload: 7.66 Mbps

Ping: 59 ms

External IP: 98.253.115.145

Internal IP: 30.43.81.230

Latitude: 41.85407

Longitude: -87.85037

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/262459745.png

Ookla operates Speedtest.net using a massive global infrastructure to minimize the impact of Internet congestion and latency. With millions of tests performed every day across hundreds of servers, Speedtest.net is the ultimate resource for bandwidth testing and related information. Visit it on your computer today to find out why.

37.5Mbps is about as fast as Sprint LTE can get. You have to be facing the tower in order to get speeds that fast. I have had a couple of speeds greater than 37.5Mbps, around 38-40Mbps. However, any speeds over 37.5Mbps are suspect as a possible misreading from the speed test software.

Robert

37.5Mbps is about as fast as Sprint LTE can get. You have to be facing the tower in order to get speeds that fast. I have had a couple of speeds greater than 37.5Mbps, around 38-40Mbps. However, any speeds over 37.5Mbps are suspect as a possible misreading from the speed test software.

Robert

what is restricting this maximum? Back haul? Don't Verizon or att speeds hit in the fifties?

Sent from my Dark Jelly Belly using Tapatalk 2

what is restricting this maximum? Back haul? Don't Verizon or att speeds hit in the fifties?

5mhz is the restriction.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

5mhz is the restriction.

that's right. Now i remember that relation between frequency and bandwidth.

Also note that AT&T has 10MHz LTE channels only in 1/3 of the country. In another third, they have 5MHz channels. In the last third, they have zero 700MHz spectrum and will need to deploy LTE in another band (which won't be any time soon and will likely be 3MHz channels, if anything).

So in their 10MHz markets, they can reach 50Mbps speeds...but it won't be for long. In their 5MHz markets, they will likely be slower than Sprint, because they have less site density. And in 0MHz markets, it's safe to say Sprint will kick their butts.

Robert

• Like 6

Also note that AT&T has 10MHz LTE channels only in 1/3 of the country. In another third, they have 5MHz channels. In the last third, they have zero 700MHz spectrum and will need to deploy LTE in another band (which won't be any time soon and will likely be 3MHz channels, if anything).

So in their 10MHz markets, they can reach 50Mbps speeds...but it won't be for long. In their 5MHz markets, they will likely be slower than Sprint, because they have less site density. And in 0MHz markets, it's safe to say Sprint will kick their butts.

Robert

that's interesting. definitely don't hear that on TV ;)

• Like 1

that's right. Now i remember that relation between frequency and bandwidth.

Not frequency, but width of the channel. Doesn't really matter for the frequency as far as speed is concerned.

Not frequency, but width of the channel. Doesn't really matter for the frequency as far as speed is concerned.

gotcha. My wife just laughed at me for not realizing that. She's an electrical engineer.

It's funny how we're like' date=' "37mbps on my phone? Eh, I heard Verizon gets 50." This smokes most home Internet. We're so spoiled :)[/quote']

I hear people say that, but I have never exceeded 21Mbps on Verizon, and mostly experience between 4-8Mbps download in Northern New Mexico on Verizon LTE. I have both a VZW work phone and a personal VZW hotspot.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Found LTE for the first time in Orland Park at the Best Buy on LaGrange and 159th st. Walking into the store through the parking lot I got this. The signal faded once I got back into my car and drove south to the LaGrange/I-80 interchange.

Um how do I attach my speedtest screen shot image? I have the PNG on my computer but I dont see how to attached a picture to a post.

I followed the entire marathon around on my bike (family running in it) from the start north to Addison, back south and west to the United Center, south to the Cell and Chinatown and back up to Grant Park. I saw some spotty 4G out by UIC. Other than that flash of speed, I can attest to the fact that Sprint is simply terrible in Chicago city limits right now. Particularly shocking: I was unable to get a data connection of any sort in most of Streeterville and River North. The terrible coverage is understandable as Sprint is in the process of nuking their entire Chicago network right now, but it's definitely painful right now. I feel for you city folk.

Edited by Hiro11

I hear people say that' date=' but I have never exceeded 21Mbps on Verizon, and mostly experience between 4-8Mbps download in Northern New Mexico on Verizon LTE. I have both a VZW work phone and a personal VZW hotspot.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner[/quote']

If Sprint does 4-8Mbps as the worst speeds, I will be very happy. I dont expect to see 20+Mbps everytime....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

• Like 2

I followed the entire marathon around on my bike (family running in it) from the start north to Addison, back south and west to the United Center, south to the Cell and Chinatown and back up to Grant Park. I saw some spotty 4G out by UIC. Other than that flash of speed, I can attest to the fact that Sprint is simply terrible in Chicago city limits right now. Particularly shocking: I was unable to get a data connection of any sort in most of Streeterville and River North. The terrible coverage is understandable as Sprint is in the process of nuking their entire Chicago network right now, but it's definitely painful right now. I feel for you city folk.

We all knew this was coming. I was at solider field for the ND game sat night. Got no data on 3G whatsoever. Cruddy 3G network or overloaded by crowd? Dont know, either way its bad. Like I say, LTE cant get here so enough, need to get off this obvious bogged down 3G network, thanks 4 generations of 3G only iphones.

Found LTE for the first time in Orland Park at the Best Buy on LaGrange and 159th st. Walking into the store through the parking lot I got this. The signal faded once I got back into my car and drove south to the LaGrange/I-80 interchange.

Um how do I attach my speedtest screen shot image? I have the PNG on my computer but I dont see how to attached a picture to a post.

I upload pictures to a public folder on my Flickr account, then copy the link ending with the .png/.jpg extension (might not be necessary). With the link copied, go back to the post you want to place it in. In the toolbar above the text box, select “Image” in the bottom row of icons (it’s near the middle of the row, next to the “Link” and “Unlink” icons) and paste the link in the dialog box that pops up. That should embed the image in your post.

If you don’t see the toolbar, you may have collapsed it. If that is the case, look for a small arrow above the upper-right corner of your text box and click on it.

Of course, this is just one way to do it. If you’re posting from an app, what I said probably doesn’t apply.

EDIT: Also, I'm guessing that you've upgraded your phone, but your account still says "HTC Evo Shift 4G." Might wanna change that. :-P

I upload pictures to a public folder on my Flickr account, then copy the link ending with the .png/.jpg extension (might not be necessary). With the link copied, go back to the post you want to place it in. In the toolbar above the text box, select “Image” in the bottom row of icons (it’s near the middle of the row, next to the “Link” and “Unlink” icons) and paste the link in the dialog box that pops up. That should embed the image in your post.

If you don’t see the toolbar, you may have collapsed it. If that is the case, look for a small arrow above the upper-right corner of your text box and click on it.

Of course, this is just one way to do it. If you’re posting from an app, what I said probably doesn’t apply.

Huh, why do I have post an image via a cloud drive or web link. I have the image on my local storage I just want to attach it or upload it to the post directly.

Huh, why do I have post an image via a cloud drive or web link. I have the image on my local storage I just want to attach it or upload it to the post directly.

Hmm… not sure. You’re seeing that on the toolbar above the text box? When you say “local storage,” are you referring to your phone? I try to stay away from posting images directly on S4GRU seeing as how we only have 500KB of space per user and I’d rather not burden the site any more than I already have.

Also, I inadvertently made a ninja edit while you were quoting me. I added a note to the bottom of my post that I was hoping you’d see, sorry about that.

Hmm… not sure. You’re seeing that on the toolbar above the text box? When you say “local storage,” are you referring to your phone? I try to stay away from posting images directly on S4GRU seeing as how we only have 500KB of space per user and I’d rather not burden the site any more than I already have.

Also, I inadvertently made a ninja edit while you were quoting me. I added a note to the bottom of my post that I was hoping you’d see, sorry about that.

By local storage I meant on my C drive on my PC. I really on access this site and make posts from my PC only.

By local storage I meant on my C drive on my PC. I really on access this site and make posts from my PC only.

Ahh, gotcha.

Re-reading this, I think I might’ve misunderstood it initially. You need to use a web-based service because attaching an image directly to a post means that you use up space on S4GRU’s servers.

http://s4gru.com/ind...load-a-picture/

As you can see from that thread (where we should continue this conversation), the space is limited to about 700MB for the entire site. That’s why you need to use an online storage account (Photobucket, Flickr, etc…) and just copy the link from the image in your storage account into the post you want to make on S4GRU as an embedded image per my instructions above. Once you do that, it will look like this:

7719542916_7ca75a4503_b.jpg

If you right-click on the image and check out its properties, you’ll see that it has a Flickr link.

I hear people say that, but I have never exceeded 21Mbps on Verizon, and mostly experience between 4-8Mbps download in Northern New Mexico on Verizon LTE. I have both a VZW work phone and a personal VZW hotspot.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I got 32.45 down/21.30 up in Kalamazoo, MI on my iPad with Verizon LTE... but only once. It typically averages 15-20 down. Either way, I won't complain.

Until Sprint LTE comes to town, then I'll be able to finally be on one carrier (I'll just add the hotspot service to my iPhone). B)

• Like 1

well, i returned the EVO LTE (initially due to the camera dying after 2 days) and with the LTE issues of the phone, i've gone ahead and gotten a galaxy s3 as replacement.

did some sensorly tracking around the palatine area, as well as the trip down to my parents house in addison. am amused in that i've been the only one tracking sprint LTE to their area as it's the lone activity for a few square blocks.

anyways, i took some time tonite to criss cross across palatine...just checked, and it's not up as of yet. will check it again tomorrow.