Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

hmmm, according to that i'm on 800 mhz. It doesn't say anything about Cellular or PCS, but says Band Class: 10 Channel: 476. A quick google says band class 10 is SMR 800 Mhz?

I'm connected to a site that's marked 3G complete on the map.

What tower are you connected to?

What tower are you connected to?

I was connected to:

CH54XC974

41.0712863640881, -87.15767020363701,

5080-5266 W 400 N, Rensselaer, IN 47978, USA

Right now, at work, i'm connected to a tower about 4 or 5 miles south in the middle of Rensselaer (CH60XC069)and it says Band Class 1.

according to NV complete, that is only 3G, not 3G800 yet, but maybe Robert's data isn't up to date :P If you were connected to 476, that would seem to be 800SMR

He's in an active 800 CDMA deployment area on a site that has received upgrades. I think there is a very high likelihood his observations are correct. You are on a 800MHz 1x carrier. Congrats.

On another note, CDMA 800 is tested on Channel 476, not on a hidden channel in G Block. So it is more likely to be discovered much farther in advance of being turned over to Sprint than LTE will.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Yeah' date=' it definitely said channel 476, band class 10.[/quote']

Yes indeed. And you are getting a -86dBm signal from 4-5 miles away. Impressive.

• Like 3

Yes indeed. And you are getting a -86dBm signal from 4-5 miles away. Impressive.

Yep, that's what I said. I seen it up to -83 even. 5.2 miles exact.

• Like 2

Yep' date=' that's what I said. I seen it up to -83 even. 5.2 miles exact.[/quote']

That make me optimistic for LTE 800 in your area when it arrives in the future. LTE 800 should roughly be the same dBm signal strength as CDMA 800. However, it will start petering out between -90dBm and -95dBm RSSI. So anything in the 80's should be quite good.

So when LTE 1900 is deployed on your tower, it will not likely reach your house. But LTE 800 should. The only wild card are the devices.

That make me optimistic for LTE 800 in your area when it arrives in the future. LTE 800 should roughly be the same dBm signal strength as CDMA 800. However, it will start petering out between -90dBm and -95dBm RSSI. So anything in the 80's should be quite good.

So when LTE 1900 is deployed on your tower, it will not likely reach your house. But LTE 800 should. The only wild card are the devices.

Yeah, I figured that much. I've gotten pretty good EVDO on 1900, over 2 meg, but from reading on here it sounds like LTE doesn't hold up quite as good on the fringe. Do you think a repeater with a decent outdoor antenna would be able to hold a solid LTE link at that distance with 1900, assuming equipment would be available for Sprint's LTE spectrum?

Yeah, I figured that much. I've gotten pretty good EVDO on 1900, over 2 meg, but from reading on here it sounds like LTE doesn't hold up quite as good on the fringe. Do you think a repeater with a decent outdoor antenna would be able to hold a solid LTE link at that distance with 1900, assuming equipment would be available for Sprint's LTE spectrum?

I believe 1900 repeaters that support the G block like mine (Wilson DT) will amplify the 1900 LTE.

Check out the manual for the wilson DT the 1900 G-Block is advertised to be amplified. The Wilson Tech didn't know that.

In the manual specs for this product I only find

Frequency 824-894 MHz / 1850-1990 MHz

Other Wilson products have similar ranges.

I thought that the G Block Sprint is using for LTE includes 1990-1995 Mhz. See also this comment by WiWavelength.

In the manual specs for this product I only find

Other Wilson products have similar ranges.

I thought that the G Block Sprint is using for LTE includes 1990-1995 Mhz. See also this comment by WiWavelength.

You are right. The online manuals don't list it but I could sware that its in my manual that came with my amp. I'll keep looking to see if it is in an older version of the manual.

I know on the iPhone you can put the phone into field test mode and it will show the band your phone is operating in. Currently at home' date=' I've been roaming for a whole now and I'll watch field test to see what's going on. Usually it sits in the PCS band, but I've seen it jump into the 800MHz band (I'm sure it's actually VZW 850) occasionally.

Sent from my JB iPhone 4S using Forum Runner[/quote']

I'm positive it is VZW 850. The iPhone is not 800SMR capable.

From CM10 Toro on Forum Runner

Exactly, that's where I was going. The field test thing literally says 800... But knowing it doesn't support the SMR band, it would have to be Verizon.

Sent from my JB iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

• Like 2

Disclaimer: This is not a complaint! Ive seen what happens to complainers around here. I am curious and am looking for insight...

Now that that is out the way... The tower near my house that i have been closely following has had great 3g speeds (2+ mbps) that i can only assume is from the finally installed backhaul over the last 2 weeks. I am very happy about the NV rollout progress in Chicago and my area and am just curious about what people think is going on when this happens;

This is the second time since i have got the improved speed that it goes back to my old situation ( pings over 700, DL speeds less that .05/mbps)

I am interested to hear specifically what people with more knowledge of the rollout than i have might say is causing this to happen. I personally cant think why they would need to disconnect the new backhaul temporarily on more than one occasion. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Seems to me the most obvious possible answer is the site you are connected to. It seems unlikely that they would be repeatedly be disconnecting upgraded backhaul. If you go into your DEBUG menu, you can track which 1x and EVDO channels and sites you are connected to during both good and bad times. Then you will really know what you are connected to and when.

I would be surprised if the EVDO channel and BSID are the same when you have good performance and bad performance.

Robert

I have finally found the good speeds again to compare i will post both sets of pictures

well forum runner wont let me upload anymore at the moment...

The better connection, which im assuming is with the backhaul had speeds 2.16/mbps up and .22/mbpd down with ping 114ms

1X Ch:375 SID: 4384 NID: 120

EVDO Ch:325 Sector ID:00840

well forum runner wont let me upload anymore at the moment...

The better connection' date=' which im assuming is with the backhaul had speeds 2.16/mbps up and .22/mbpd down with ping 114ms

1X Ch:375 SID: 4384 NID: 120

EVDO Ch:325 Sector ID:00840[/quote']

You have different NID's, but the same SID. That is very odd. Its almost as if your site has legacy and NV gear operating at the same time.

You have different NID's, but the same SID. That is very odd. Its almost as if your site has legacy and NV gear operating at the same time.

I saw that once using Netmonitor and thought that might be the reason. But since then I learned that it might be caused by a problem with the underlying Android telephony API not updating all the ID fields at the same time, leading to occasional inconsistencies like this. There is an open issue at Google documenting this:

Issue 32593: base station ID (SID, NID, BID) not updated at same time leading to bogus IDs

Yep, that's what I said. I seen it up to -83 even. 5.2 miles exact.

wow, is this the first sighting of 800MHz SMR on CDMA in the wild? that's like finding Big Foot!!!! Congratulations! :-)

So glad that 800Mhz CDMA finally becoming "real" for Sprint after 7 long years since the merger completed.

800mhz will dramatically improve coverage and in-building penetration for Sprint customers (those lucky enough to be on new handsets). makes me want to go out and get S3 for my back-up phone even before we get LTE.

i was wondering about this, now that 800Mhz SMR frequencies on CDMA is becoming a reality. Is there a running list of which Sprint smartphone handsets are SMR 800Mhz capable?

i was wondering about this, now that 800Mhz SMR frequencies on CDMA is becoming a reality. Is there a running list of which Sprint smartphone handsets are SMR 800Mhz capable?

Its in the FAQ http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1704-frequently-asked-questions/

• Like 2