Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

I'm paying the buy up for it. Technically nothing has unlimited on sprint. It's throttled.

Incorrect. Sprint does not throttle data except for the 5% policy that activated on the 1st. 

Also, what makes you think they are going to refund you for your contracted lines? 

Incorrect. Sprint does not throttle data except for the 5% policy that activated on the 1st. 

Also, what makes you think they are going to refund you for your contracted lines? 

TK TECH News posted a video on his youtube channel about a possible tmobile- sprint merger, but in the video he claims sprint took the throttleing terms off there site. Not sure if its true or not. 

Bluntly. It's either release from contract or refund on data plan. And it's only for 3 voice lines and 2 tablets. The tablets are fairly recent. This entire account has 10 lines.

I've ran the numbers and the credit would work out to around $500 total. Not the most I've ever been credited but a large dent none the less. For my account that's a month of service free.

Also my account lists an account creation date of June 2003. They don't often say no to me, only because I tend to be very diplomatic and present them with lots of detailed notes, speed tests and tend to put Put people on the spot with "I don't think that's fair do YOU" breaks right past the Corporate Policy Double speak every time.

Here is the Chicago version of PCMag's recently released article on Fastest Mobile Networks of 2014.  Even with Spark unfortunately Sprint didn't score so well.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459213,00.asp

It doesn't seem like they actually tested with a spark device. Otherwise the maximum download should have been on the order of 50-70Mbps. We know it's there. Until they start testing fairly, these reports are going to inaccurate. It's unfortunate, but we knew this was coming. People still love to hate on Sprint.

It doesn't seem like they actually tested with a spark device. Otherwise the maximum download should have been on the order of 50-70Mbps. We know it's there. Until they start testing fairly, these reports are going to inaccurate. It's unfortunate, but we knew this was coming. People still love to hate on Sprint.

They used LG G2s. There are some places in Chicago where one can get really good Spark coverage, but it is very spotty. I could see them on fringe B41 signal getting a maximum speedtest of 23.4. Also, Sensorly does tend to be q bit lower on speedtests than Ookla.

They used LG G2s. There are some places in Chicago where one can get really good Spark coverage, but it is very spotty. I could see them on fringe B41 signal getting a maximum speedtest of 23.4. Also, Sensorly does tend to be q bit lower on speedtests than Ookla.

Actually, Sensorly seems to have corrected the artificially low speeds and high pings lately. They're still not always equal, but much closer.

• Like 1

How come when I run speed tests with Ookla, one right after the other, and I switch units from mB/s to kB/s I get two wildly different results.  I am I missing something here cuz I don't think the units are matching up correctly.  In fact this happens every single time I run B2B tests and change units.  Does this happen to anyone else?

one.png

two.png

How come when I run speed tests with Ookla, one right after the other, and I switch units from mB/s to kB/s I get two wildly different results.  I am I missing something here cuz I don't think the units are matching up correctly.  In fact this happens every single time I run B2B tests and change units.  Does this happen to anyone else?

Note the little and big "b". 1 byte ( B ) = 8 bits ( b ).

So in your example, 2.54 Mbps = 317.5 kB/s*

*1 kB actually equals 1024 bytes, so 2.54 Mbps = 325.12 kB/s. However, unlike most of the rest of the computing industry, in the context of networking (including Ookla), 1 kB is still understood to equal 1000 bytes. You may find this overview helpful, as well as this SI to IEC unit calculator.

• Like 4

Speed tests are very dependent on location, network capacity and network congestion. Most of the Sensorly tests I've seen are in California. That'll have a crappy result in Chicago.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Speed tests are very dependent on location, network capacity and network congestion. Most of the Sensorly tests I've seen are in California. That'll have a crappy result in Chicago.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I have never had an issues with the speed tests, they have always seemed legit.  That's also why I do them at Midnight because I know traffic and load is low and I can see what an unloaded speed would actually be.  Unfortunately, the max I get around my hood (Lincoln Park) is usually between 2-5 mB/s, and during crowded hours during the day both in Lincoln Park and downtown anywhere between 0.1 - 1 mB/s.

I have never had an issues with the speed tests, they have always seemed legit. That's also why I do them at Midnight because I know traffic and load is low and I can see what an unloaded speed would actually be. Unfortunately, the max I get around my hood (Lincoln Park) is usually between 2-5 mB/s, and during crowded hours during the day both in Lincoln Park and downtown anywhere between 0.1 - 1 mB/s.

The "speed test" map on Sensorly is a sea of red in my neck of the woods. Granted most of the tests were supplied by me, but I'm holding out on B41 getting deployed real soon. 15GB/month is killer at 2 mB/s, I can only imagine how much data I would burn at 40.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

hello Chicago, how is NV in Chicago? Has service and speed gotten better?

It's definitely improving on a daily basis. If you have a triband device, or at least an iPhone 5s/5c you should be fine. Band 41 is quite prevalent in the Chicagoland area, and new band 26 and the second pcs carrier are coming online daily.

hello Chicago, how is NV in Chicago? Has service and speed gotten better?

I've noticed a big difference. I have an iPhone 5c and since band 26 has been activated it's been amazing. I see spark as being a success in the chicago market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've noticed a big difference. I have an iPhone 5c and since band 26 has been activated it's been amazing. I see spark as being a success in the chicago market.

Any 26 sightings in downtown chicago? We don't have many members reporting the actual city. Just the outlying areas.

I do not go downtown very often, but no not recently. But I'm sure the b26 will be up and running soon. So I was curious, what spectrum did sprint get in the chicago market from us cellular?