FCC approves LTE deployment in 800MHz SMR band!

I live in Maryland on the eastern shore and have a nextel tower .75 mile's away is it safe to say the it might at some point it get lte, it's one of there mono-pole's. I have heard they are shuttering some them type site's.

ARE YOU FING KIDDING ME, NOW I GOT THE 1900MHZ HANDSET, AND I WILL HAVE TO UPGRADE TO ANOTHER HANDSET TO USE 800MHZ

Do not worry about it, Daniel. Since Sprint has to share the reconfigured SMR 800 MHz band with SouthernLINC in Atlanta, there is a good chance that your market will get little, if any LTE 800 anyway. Ha!

AJ

Do not worry about it, Daniel. Since Sprint has to share the reconfigured SMR 800 MHz band with SouthernLINC in Atlanta, there is a good chance that your market will get little, if any LTE 800 anyway. Ha!

AJ

Wa wa waaaaaa................

HOWEVER, if you read through the FCC report you will see that SouthernLinc plans to deploy 1xAdvanced and LTE in the SMR as well.

If you look at their coverage you will also notice that Nextel is their only roaming partner.....

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Wa wa waaaaaa................

HOWEVER, if you read through the FCC report you will see that SouthernLinc plans to deploy 1xAdvanced and LTE in the SMR as well.

If you look at their coverage you will also notice that Nextel is their only roaming partner.....

If that is the case, then it seems like SouthernLinc might be joining sprint in their Network Vision plans. If it did happen, It would be huge for coverage in Alabama/Georgia.

Sprint does not have plans to deploy 3G on 800 MHz. For most of the country, Sprint has about 14 MHz of 800 MHz spectrum and 10 MHz which will be used to deploy a 5x5 LTE carrier and a single 1x Advanced CDMA carrier. In certain parts of the country, Sprint will only be able to deploy a single 1x Advanced CDMA carrier and a 1.4x1.4 MHz OR 3x3 MHz LTE carrier due to potential interference issues with Mexico and Canada iDEN networks. There simply isn't enough 800 MHz spectrum to deploy 1x Advanced, 3G, and LTE.

Right on. Kinda what I figured, but I thought I'd ask anyway since the article gave the impression EVDO would be deployed on the 800 SMR band as well. Thanks for the info :)

you guys can have your haugepauge network...

The city on Long Island?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauppauge,_New_York

;)

AJ

• Like 2

Sprint has already selected two places for 800 LTE FIT's. However, it can't do the FIT in Puerto Rico. They don't have a 5MHz up and downlink in SMR in Puerto Rico to deploy it.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

So, who are the 800 LTE FIT cities?

So, who are the 800 LTE FIT cities?

New Orleans...and believe it or not...Montana. :)

Robert

• Like 3

New Orleans...and believe it or not...Montana. :)

Robert

Wow, Montana? Might that be because of the Canadian border to do interference testing?

Wow, Montana? Might that be because of the Canadian border to do interference testing?

I'm not certain why. All I know is where at this time, none of the "whys". :)

Robert

• Like 1

New Orleans...and believe it or not...Montana.

Robert

Um Robert, Montana isn't a city :P j/k

But seeing that Sprint doesn't currently have native coverage in the state of Montana, it would seem that they have some coverage expansion in the works, no? Any other brand new future coverage that you can share?

Sent from my Mean Evo 3D using Tapatalk 2!

Um Robert, Montana isn't a city :P j/k

But seeing that Sprint doesn't currently have native coverage in the state of Montana, it would seem that they have some coverage expansion in the works, no? Any other brand new future coverage that you can share?

Sent from my Mean Evo 3D using Tapatalk 2!

Sprint network expansion?

Now that sounds crazy. I guess we would just hear more has NV progress. Maybe if NV goes well, they might look at a NV-extended plan for network expansion in areas and states they don't offer native service.

I can see the benefit of 800mhz here in NYC, at least the boroughs, where service is spotty once you're indoors. I'll take at least voice on 800, that alone will be huge. The rest of the area is pretty much blanketed with 1900mhz, but some of the buildings here are 80 years old and solid brick.

I always figured that with the iPhone stemming subscriber losses and NV fixing the network (and enabling them to keep Unlimited data), they would be in a much better financial position in 2014 and begin rolling out expansions at that time, or possibly delaying until 2015.

• Like 2

Now that sounds crazy. I guess we would just hear more has NV progress. Maybe if NV goes well, they might look at a NV-extended plan for network expansion in areas and states they don't offer native service.

I don't know of any expansion plans. And there will not likely be any before Sprint starts turning a profit again. However, the Montana 800 LTE FIT is a very interesting situation. I don't know many details yet and have a lot of questions myself.

How large is the FIT? Is it just one city, like Billings? Is it a whole region? Will they deploy 800 LTE only, or will they also include 800 CDMA? How about 1900 CDMA and LTE too? Is this a permanent set up that they will leave operating for customers to use, or will it be dismantled or abandoned? Will this be the beginning of a Montana/Wyoming/Dakotas expansion?

As you can see, I'm not very clued in yet. But I am very intrigued at the thought of it all.

Robert

• Like 2

Sprint probably have crunched out the numbers to see if they can save money on roaming vs the expense of rolling out a network. From what I understand, last year they paid out $1B in roaming costs. That is a lot of mullah! I'm sure they're doing due diligence and cost/benefit analysis on where and when to save roaming money.

• Like 2

Sprint probably have crunched out the numbers to see if they can save money on roaming vs the expense of rolling out a network. From what I understand, last year they paid out $1B in roaming costs. That is a lot of mullah! I'm sure they're doing due diligence and cost/benefit analysis on where and when to save roaming money.

The other thing they need to worry about is roaming agreements with Alltel/Verizon expiring in 2016. Are they going to be signing up for data roaming as well as voice? What band?

I don't know of any expansion plans. And there will not likely be any before Sprint starts turning a profit again. However, the Montana 800 LTE FIT is a very interesting situation. I don't know many details yet and have a lot of questions myself.

How large is the FIT? Is it just one city, like Billings? Is it a whole region? Will they deploy 800 LTE only, or will they also include 800 CDMA? How about 1900 CDMA and LTE too? Is this a permanent set up that they will leave operating for customers to use, or will it be dismantled or abandoned? Will this be the beginning of a Montana/Wyoming/Dakotas expansion?

As you can see, I'm not very clued in yet. But I am very intrigued at the thought of it all.

Robert

This is very interesting indeed.

With 800MHz, the rural game can start to make financial sense. This is very very very interesting.

If I was a betting person, I would guess that they are trying to establish the economics of 800MHz @ rural - something they've never been able to test before. You can't plan if you don't know those answers.

• Like 1

This is very interesting indeed.

With 800MHz, the rural game can start to make financial sense. This is very very very interesting.

If I was a betting person, I would guess that they are trying to establish the economics of 800MHz @ rural - something they've never been able to test before. You can't plan if you don't know those answers.

Hmm....

New Orleans FIT = Urban testing

Montana FIT = Rural testing?

What are the advantages of 800 lte vs the 1900 lte?

Or is that the purpose of the two test regions?

To find out how it acts on the wild?

There were three LTE 1900 FIT's. One for each NV OEM. Each has different equipment that can perform differently. And they did produce different results. Different enough that one OEM had to make some modifications. I'm actually surprised there isn't a third 800 LTE FIT in an ALU area.

The biggest advantage of 800 LTE over 1900 LTE is the signal travels farther and penetrates buildings better. 800 LTE is going to be great for rural areas.

• Like 1

Hmm....

New Orleans FIT = Urban testing

Montana FIT = Rural testing?

If I remember correctly, digiblur has stated that the tower spacing in New Orleans is not really ideal for 1900MHz PCS band. Maybe they are picking New Orleans since the spacing is more of a worst case scenario for an urban market?

There were three LTE 1900 FIT's. One for each NV OEM. Each has different equipment that can perform differently. And they did produce different results. Different enough that one OEM had to make some modifications. I'm actually surprised there isn't a third 800 LTE FIT in an ALU area.

The biggest advantage of 800 LTE over 1900 LTE is the signal travels farther and penetrates buildings better. 800 LTE is going to be great for rural areas.

I would suspect based on ALU and Ericsson's experience deploying LTE for Verizon that they should share similar performance characteristics? Maybe that's why ALU is sitting it out? Couldn't justify the cost?

• Like 1