T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

How is the wideband LTE coverage in NYC?

Coverage is fantastic mainly because of their dense deployment in NYC. Indoor penetration could be better, but VoWIFi comes in handy.

• Like 1

Coverage is fantastic mainly because of their dense deployment in NYC. Indoor penetration could be better, but VoWIFi comes in handy.

I can agree with that. The same goes for the Boston area here. The suburbs are a different story though.

I wonder what is going to happen today. Someone on fierce suggested Hulu and Netflix not counting towards the data cap...I obviously think that would be a horrible idea. This kills the network.

Nope,  it's unlimited free Sardines. There's no way Sprint could match that.  

• Like 2

That's what Verizon says about Tmo's LTE network, not total mobile data coverage. Unless they have said something new recently.

• Like 2

That's what Verizon says about Tmo's LTE network, not total mobile data coverage. Unless they have said something new recently.

Although one could easily argue that the T-Mobile data coverage was non-existent in the GSM only areas.

Second anecdote, Verizon actually did them a solid and fluffed the map a bit by including legacy MetroPCS LTE that was not integrated into T-Mobile's network yet.

Obviously not up to date with band 2 deployment. But it was pretty accurate at the time...

• Like 2

Really?

YESSS we have the BEST COVERAGE OUT OF THEM ALL HAHAHAHA

/s

But seriously, what T-Mobile did today was genius. Will the other carriers have the nerve to counter?! Will Sprint just say screw it and kill off family share?! 

Is this a sign that unlimited data will actually return one day, since AT&T did the same rollover idea with minutes?

Are you listening to it? I actually would be interested.

Yes I was watching it. Basically after that he mentioned the wifi cell booster thing that they have, and insisted that his neighborhood is upgraded and should be very fast lol. I have never listened to him before and only read about what he says, but he definitely has a way of words to grab the viewers. 

So, rollover data is the new rollover minutes? I'm sorry, data stash? :)

The Verge has some additional details:

To take advantage of the new promotion, you must be a Simple Choice customer who has "purchased additional 4G LTE data." T-Mobile says customers must be paying for at least 3GB of data each month for smartphones and 1 GB or more for tablets. Customers with a lower data ceiling won't be able to count on data stash to help avoid throttling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I like the idea of the data rolling over and this could spark unlimited coming back or atleast a similar practice of data carrying over from the other carriers. When John was asked about gaining new customers and the speeds going down, he danced around that question as though he knows its coming and he's just enjoying the title while it lasts. I'm also shocked he said little to nothing about Sprint.

• Like 2

My wife and I were just talking about rollover data last night. She said she missed the Cingular roll over minutes and said that providers should do the same with data. I told her, 'that will never happen.' :lol:

It's interesting that Tmo will start every postpaid customer with 10GB free inserted into their Data Stash account. That way, they'll start using more data out the gate thinking they have this huge data buffer. Then in the ensuing months after their initial 10GB buffer gets used up, now they are used to using more data than they used to. Reducing the amount they will stock pile, or getting them to increase their plan.

It's kind of shrewd. Akin to a crack dealer giving away free samples to the kiddies outside the school. :)

• Like 6

T-Mobile Un-carrier 8.0 announcements:

• Announcement of "Data Stash," which comes with 10GB of data as a gift, data rolls over month to month for only a year, then resets.
  • Announcement of LTE to 260M POPs
  • Announcement that they have finally started to deploy 700Mhz spectrum in Cleveland, Colorado Springs, Minneapolis, and Washington D.C.
  • Like 1

I remember the rollover minutes from my AT&T days. I made minimal phone calls, so always had upwards of 3,000+ rollover minutes available. While the idea of rollover data is cool, I wonder if the profile of the "typical" data user is the same as the "typical" voice call user? As in, the vast majority of users will roll over data they'll never use or need based on current habits?

• Like 1

I remember the rollover minutes from my AT&T days. I made minimal phone calls, so always had upwards of 3,000+ rollover minutes available. While the idea of rollover data is cool, I wonder if the profile of the "typical" data user is the same as the "typical" voice call user? As in, the vast majority of users will roll over data they'll never use or need based on current habits?

Roll over data would be awesome for me. My wife is on the 1GB framily line, and usually she uses 500MB or so...but every so often there are the months were she is over 1GB. I just pay the overage since it's cheaper than the $10 upgrade to 3GB for the little bit it happens. Kudos Tmobile to a good idea!

Marcelo...get on your burglar costume and steal the idea. Pronto. You need to announce the same thing in 24 hours.

• Like 11

I find it ironic, people complain how unlimited data is to much so they go to tiered plans and than they start hearing about this rollover data crap and then start complaining again when they know they still have a unlimited option. Can you just make up your mind already.

• Like 1

Marcelo...get on your burglar costume and steal the idea. Pronto. You need to announce the same thing in 24 hours.

Burglar costume? He should dress up like Santa and give out 10GB stashes for all the good girls and boys!

• Like 6