Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

12 hours ago, derrph said:

Agreed. I think T-Mobile will be able to execute well. T-Mobile's integration of MetroPCS and its rapid deployment of 600 MHz shows it can be done with the right management team.

Spectrum only matters if Apple makes an iPhone which supports it.... which they seem to do on their own schedule.

• Like 2

Agreed. I think T-Mobile will be able to execute well. T-Mobile's integration of MetroPCS and its rapid deployment of 600 MHz shows it can be done with the right management team.
Spectrum only matters if Apple makes an iPhone which supports it.... which they seem to do on their own schedule.

That’s very true. I would like to think that things on the network side are already in place to flip the switch on 4/16. I don’t want a network vision adjacent experience in my city. I closed out my sprint account last month and I’m considering signing back up and nabbing their Premium plan since I can get it for $66 per month (byod discount of $10 and $10 if I add my employer). It’ll be nice side plan to have for the cheap based on what all is included and like can keep the plan for 3 years. I’m sure the amazon perk will leave which I’m ok with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, derrph said:

That’s very true. I would like to think that things on the network side are already in place to flip the switch on 4/16. I don’t want a network vision adjacent experience in my city. I closed out my sprint account last month and I’m considering signing back up and nabbing their Premium plan since I can get it for $66 per month (byod discount of $10 and $10 if I add my employer). It’ll be nice side plan to have for the cheap based on what all is included and like can keep the plan for 3 years. I’m sure the amazon perk will leave which I’m ok with.

Yeah, I don't think we'll have a Network Vision experience. They've been planning for this for a long time now, and they have brought on John Saw who can provide guidance on integrating Sprint's network assets into T-Mobile's anchor network. I'm looking forward to them flipping the switch too. Hopefully it happens soon and I believe it will all happen pretty quickly.

Could make sense to get that Unlimited Premium plan with your discount, especially with the price guarantee.

Yeah, I don't think we'll have a Network Vision experience. They've been planning for this for a long time now, and they have brought on John Saw who can provide guidance on integrating Sprint's network assets into T-Mobile's anchor network. I'm looking forward to them flipping the switch too. Hopefully it happens soon and I believe it will all happen pretty quickly.
Could make sense to get that Unlimited Premium plan with your discount, especially with the price guarantee.

I’m think I’m going to just sign back up today.

When thinking about it, T-Mobile kinda had no choice but to keep Saw since he’s very knowledgeable of 2.5 and how to make the most use of it. I’m sure he had major plans to make that spectrum a beast with Sprint but was restricted besides doing the minimum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, derrph said:

I’m think I’m going to just sign back up today.

When thinking about it, T-Mobile kinda had no choice but to keep Saw since he’s very knowledgeable of 2.5 and how to make the most use of it. I’m sure he had major plans to make that spectrum a beast with Sprint but was restricted besides doing the minimum.

Saw must have been incredibly frustrated as Masa failed to provide adequate support for capex and spectrum auctions.

In addition to 2.5 GHz, I wonder how he felt about Sprint sitting out the 600 MHz auction as well. We were told that it was "Spectrum of the Past" by the then-CFO, and that Sprint didn't pass on it because "it didn't have the money". We all know now that this talking point was a complete lie given the recent disclosures during the merger trial. Sprint truly didn't have the money for it and its lack of lowband also happens to be one of the primary reasons that the merger is happening in the first place.

Enjoy your plan!

12 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

What will they do with 47Ghz? The only thing they can do with it will be either wireless backhaul or fixed wireless.

DAS or oDAS systems/fixed wireless services/NR or LTE relay. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 4:07 PM, mdob07 said:

Has anyone observed any prep work on T-mobile sites yet? At this point can they go ahead and start hanging B41 M-MIMO gear? Could Sprint lease them unused B41 spectrum in a market for testing and tuning if they do start installing equipment? I know there's still a few last hurdles but it looks to be pretty much guaranteed at this point that the merger will close soon. I've seen tower crews on some T-mobile sites around here but haven't been able to tell what they are doing yet.

During the spring and summer T-Mobile was increasing site amperage in preparation of the merger. My sources were later confirmed by permits and their completion.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

During the spring and summer T-Mobile was increasing site amperage in preparation of the merger. My sources were later confirmed by permits and their completion.

This is to support additional equipment on those specific sites?

How much amperage is being added?

Seems like this is a good way to tell that those will be the "keep" sites post-merger? Perhaps every keep site will need an amperage upgrade?

Not to be outdone, Verizon is also getting some help from Dish:
https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/verizon-latest-carrier-to-get-spectrum-boost

I have yet to see vzw actually using it in my area

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Anyone have any idea why my phone still won’t roam onto band 71? In the area I am I’m only connecting to band 66/2. Then I drop to uscc 3g. I don’t get it. I have an iPhone XS and a little over a year ago when they first enabled T-Mobile roaming I was able to connect to it and it worked great. I was hoping this expanded roaming would enable that again but it doesn’t look to be the case for me.

35 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

Anyone have any idea why my phone still won’t roam onto band 71? In the area I am I’m only connecting to band 66/2. Then I drop to uscc 3g. I don’t get it. I have an iPhone XS and a little over a year ago when they first enabled T-Mobile roaming I was able to connect to it and it worked great. I was hoping this expanded roaming would enable that again but it doesn’t look to be the case for me.

Have a little patience. They will turn on roaming on April 1st.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Have a little patience. They will turn on roaming on April 1st.

I was under the impression that other people were getting access to band 71 already from the expanded roaming announcement last Friday. I think we have all been patient haha. I thought others were already reporting seeing changes made but maybe I was wrong.

I have couple questions. When will Magic Boxes no longer be able to use B41 as backhaul? And when will they allow roaming to use the best connection whether T-Mobile or Sprint?

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

So, I was thinking about switching to T-Mobile before the merger goes through. When I checked my phones compatibility(LG V40) it says that extended LTE and VOLTE will not work. Does that mean some of us will be getting new phones post merger?

19 minutes ago, centermedic said:

So, I was thinking about switching to T-Mobile before the merger goes through. When I checked my phones compatibility(LG V40) it says that extended LTE and VOLTE will not work. Does that mean some of us will be getting new phones post merger?

They are supposed to be offering "aggressive promotions" for people who will need new devices. 

• Like 1