Nextel49

Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Posted (edited)

Expanded roaming... Curious what that means, especially since it’s going to run through the planned merger closure date and the CPUC decision date of April 16.

we plan to expand capacity for customers with compatible devices for 60 days by deploying 600 MHz spectrum from multiple companies, including Bluewater, Channel 51, Comcast, DISH, Grain Management affiliate NewLevel, LLC, LB Holdings and Omega Wireless, LLC in the markets where it can be quickly deployed. FCC Chairman Pai has led the way for an industry-wide response with the Keep Americans Connected Pledge, and these partnerships help address critical broadband needs during this pandemic. Pending FCC approval, we expect to rapidly place this additional spectrum into service within days.

We’ve also expanded roaming access for Sprint customers to use the T-Mobile network. With expanded roaming access tens of thousands of locations nationwide, schools and families connected to Sprint’s network will have expanded coverage and capacity – including in rural areas – over the next 60 days.

Edited by RedSpark
Added Sprint News/Saw Tweets
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Screenshot-20200314-234113-Speedtest.jpg

That upload wow, ping is really sweet too.

Edited by BlueAngel
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Turned my Magic Box off hoping it would have started already but no such luck. At least not in our market. I wonder what the threshold is to switching to T-Mobile.

Edited by bigsnake49

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

Turned my Magic Box off hoping it would have started already but no such luck. At least not in our market. I wonder what the threshold is to switching to T-Mobile.

Hopefully they would STOP holding Sprint Customers onto LTE at extremely bad levels and allow the connection to T-Mobile LTE if it is better.  Holding onto poor LTE at -120 to -130 levels does nothing but aggravate users and raise their blood pressure.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chamb said:

Hopefully they would STOP holding Sprint Customers onto LTE at extremely bad levels and allow the connection to T-Mobile LTE if it is better.  Holding onto poor LTE at -120 to -130 levels does nothing but aggravate users and raise their blood pressure.

Yes! I can't stand it when band 41 hangs on so long then skips band 25 and goes straight to 26.

24 minutes ago, JLevoLTE said:

Yes! I can't stand it when band 41 hangs on so long then skips band 25 and goes straight to 26.

They have had a couple of years to get that right, and it is as bad as ever.  Companies that do not fix their issues get bought out or otherwise eliminated.

So does this mean Sprint customers should start roaming on Tmo if coverage is poor?

1 hour ago, Johnner1999 said:

So does this mean Sprint customers should start roaming on Tmo if coverage is poor?

If you have no coverage at all, yes. But I don't know what the threshold is.

This morning, my phone roamed on T-Mobile via the 310260 PLMN instead of 311490.  But it was still restricted to PCS and did not roam on 700.

- Trip

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Trip said:

This morning, my phone roamed on T-Mobile via the 310260 PLMN instead of 311490.  But it was still restricted to PCS and did not roam on 700.

I don't think we'll ever see b12 roaming since it's completely useless pretty much everywhere. 

27 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

I don't think we'll ever see b12 roaming since it's completely useless pretty much everywhere. 

When the merger closes and the network is opened, presumably every Sprint user will be able to use B12. 

- Trip

• Like 1

Just now, Trip said:

When the merger closes and the network is opened, presumably every Sprint user will be able to use B12.

Man the new T-Mobile is going to have no usable lowband unless they get some 600 from Dish and they don't waste it on N600. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Man the new T-Mobile is going to have no usable lowband unless they get some 600 from Dish and they don't waste it on N600. 

They did some 600MHz from some other spectrum holders such as Comcast and Dish but only in markets where it can be quickly deployed because some of the markets might not be cleared off. 

"Bluewater, Channel 51, Comcast, DISH, Grain Management affiliate NewLevel, LLC, LB Holdings and Omega Wireless, LLC in the markets where it can be quickly deployed."

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/tmobile-to-increase-network-capacity-and-expand-roaming-for-sprint-customers

Edited by bigsnake49

1 minute ago, bigsnake49 said:

They did some 600MHz from some other spectrum holders such as Comcast but not Dish at least not yet.

They need to get on it. If they throw Sprint users onto the B12 and B71 they have now... It gives me the chills just thinking about it. 

2 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

They need to get on it. If they throw Sprint users onto the B12 and B71 they have now... It gives me the chills just thinking about it. 

Sorry, I corrected it above, they did get some spectrum from Dish.

Just now, bigsnake49 said:

Sorry, I corrected it above, they did get some spectrum from Dish.

Is the 600 Dish is letting them use for 60 days or did they actually buy some?

3 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Is the 600 Dish is letting them use for 60 days or did they actually buy some?

Just for the next 60 days.

Just for the next 60 days.

Well what good does that do them when they start moving Sprint customers over after the 60 days? They will have no usable lowband which will result in lots of lost customers because no one can use their phones indoors. 

3 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Well what good does that do them when they start moving Sprint customers over after the 60 days? They will have no usable lowband which will result in lots of lost customers because no one can use their phones indoors. 

However, T-Mobile customers may be able to use Sprint service at the same time.    If we are lucky, somebody might actually see better service.   This might terrorize some and actually help others.

6 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

They Have 600Mhz, 700Mhz and 800Mhz. Plus two networks of 65,000+45,000 sites plus god knows how many small cells.

• Like 1

Just now, chamb said:

However, T-Mobile customers may be able to use Sprint service at the same time.    If we are lucky, somebody might actually see better service.   This might terrorize some and actually help others.

Sprint isn't bringing any lowband though. They need to buy Dish's 600. No usable lowband hurts everyone.

Just now, Brad The Beast said:

Sprint isn't bringing any lowband though. They need to buy Dish's 600. No usable lowband hurts everyone.

Sprint's 800 will still be in service,  Not going to Dish right away.

They Have 600Mhz, 700Mhz and 800Mhz. Plus two networks of 65,000+45,000 sites plus god knows how many small cells.

600 isn't usable. 700 isn't usable. 800 is only in one tiny spot. Between the two of them they only have a few select market where site density is good enough to the point where lowband congestion won't be a problem. 

3 hours ago, chamb said:

Sprint's 800 will still be in service,  Not going to Dish right away.

I thought they were selling it right away? Oh I wonder if that's part of the keeping CDMA up for three years thing?

3 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Sprint is bringing 800Mhz. Dish can elect to buy Sprint's 800Mhz after 3 years. I don't know why you're freaking out about it.

How are you supposed to compete with VZW and AT&T when you don't have any usable lowband? Isn't that like the whole point of this merger?

Wasn't there supposed to be a spectrum sharing agreement with Dish for the time that they operate as a new T-Mobile MVNO?