Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Are TV stations in your area still using it? They can’t roll it out until then
As far as I'm aware of it's only WWOR ... After that T-Mobile will have a field day.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

Sprint could but it'll take them forever to get it deployed. You see how long its taking them to get their 2.5 out and that's their network "secret sauce." That's to be "substantially completed" but Q4 aka March/April 2019. Last I heard it was about on 60% of towers so far so why not just finish up the rest of the 40% by that time? Thankfully my market is well covered with all 3 bands. I would love for Sprint to get more low band but they are just scraping by getting out what they have now. No need to add more at this moment.
Well the problem with my town is that Sprint LTE service is Swiss cheese once you get off the main road which is Route 18. There are coverage map on Sprint's website shows uniform LTE service across the entire town but that's also completely false. There's plenty of Lte holes areas where they roam still so Sprint has plenty of work to do in my town to make it consistent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dro1984 said:

Hey Snake... I know they got Clearwire, but wasn't Clearwire formed/expanded from the Sprint Nextel merger and that spectrum was "sold" to Clearwire to run and manage (ie... WiMax).     Sprint still had a percentage ownership of Clear, Sprint wanted to instruct on how and when which lead to the huge dispute with Craig McCaw... and eventual buyout.   

One further question... what happened to all the investment from Google, Comcast, Time Warner....   all that money blown?...   Shame...

The whole thing was a money pit.    If only Sprint would have just gone the LTE route like Verizon, AT&T....

From Wiki:   

"In November 2008, Clearwire completed a landmark transaction with Sprint combining their next-generation wireless broadband businesses into a new wireless communications company, which retained the name Clearwire.[9] With the closing, Sprint contributed all of its 2.5 GHz spectrum and its WiMAX-related assets, including its XOHM business, to Clearwire. In addition, Clearwire received a $3.2 billion cash investment from Comcast, Intel, Time Warner Cable, Google and Bright House Networks.

The new company trades on the NASDAQ as CLWR. As part of the announcement, then Clearwire Chairman Craig McCaw said, "The power of the mobile Internet, which offers speed and mobility, home and away, on any device or screen, will fundamentally transform the communications landscape in our country. We believe that the new Clearwire will operate one of the fastest and most capable broadband wireless networks ever conceived, giving us the opportunity to return the U.S. to a leadership position in the global wireless industry."

Sprint contributed their 60MHz of BRS to Cleawire along with Clearwire's leased EBS. Cable cos invested in the venture. Clearwire's original business was fixed wireless, using pre-Wimax OFDM and then Wimax. Sprint had to deploy something on their 60MHz of EBS as a condition of the merger with Nextel so they chose Wimax which at the time was much further along than LTE. The window to deploy something on the spectrum was closing fast. They should have just put up protection sites but...

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

More movement from TMO 

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobile-wlny-repack

That's good that's there is Improvement. I mean but New Jersey is always late LOL. So this is ridiculous if they got it done first.

28 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

It's too bad that Dish bought up most of the 600MHz spectrum in NYC, leaving two contiguous 5x5 slices of spectrum to T-Mobile. It'll likely be split into a 5x5 for LTE and a 5x5 for 5G.

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

It's too bad that Dish bought up most of the 600MHz spectrum in NYC, leaving two contiguous 5x5 slices of spectrum to T-Mobile. It'll likely be split into a 5x5 for LTE and a 5x5 for 5G.

5 megahertz will obviously not be enough for 5th generation services.. who are they kidding...

4 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Guess Virgin Mobile isn’t coming along for the ride: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2018/07/10/virgin-mobile-staff-cuts-closing-imminent.html (Paywalled, but the first paragraph summarizes it.)

Saw this coming from a mile away. Boost Mobile has been a more successful and popular brand than Virgin Mobile for quite some time and I'm sure licensing the Virgin name has cost them a bit over the years too. Glad to see it go but I hope the employees can find work in the Boost brand.

• Like 2

This may not bode well for the merger... giving those that are against, more food for feeding.    (Reduces the MVNO's and cheap plans)

I have to say, I don't think Sprint knew what to do with Virgin.   The brand went silent more than a year ago.. no commercials, or advertising.   It was once a bigger contributor to Sprint's bottom line.    The I-Phone only thing probably was the final death nail. 

Hope Sprint knows what they are doing, but I doubt it.    

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

This may not bode well for the merger... giving those that are against, more food for feeding.    (Reduces the MVNO's and cheap plans)

I have to say, I don't think Sprint knew what to do with Virgin.   The brand went silent more than a year ago.. no commercials, or advertising.   It was once a bigger contributor to Sprint's bottom line.    The I-Phone only thing probably was the final death nail. 

Hope Sprint knows what they are doing, but I doubt it.    

Good point. Virgin essentially went silent quite some time ago. The uptake numbers must have been really low. Oh well.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 11:18 AM, RedSpark said:

Guess Virgin Mobile isn’t coming along for the ride: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2018/07/10/virgin-mobile-staff-cuts-closing-imminent.html (Paywalled, but the first paragraph summarizes it.)

It's being phased out in Australia as well. The "Virgin" name brand never made sense. Nobody outside of Europe is familiar with it.

2 hours ago, greenbastard said:

It's being phased out in Australia as well. The "Virgin" name brand never made sense. Nobody outside of Europe is familiar with it.

Virgin Mobile was my first carrier ...it's a shame it's going away...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

Virgin Mobile was my first carrier ...it's a shame it's going away...

Mine as well too. 

Mine was well too. 
I really liked it back then for cheap pricing. But now it really seems like they want to phase out the cheaper brand which is a shame.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just now, danlodish345 said:

I really liked it back then for cheap pricing. But now it really seems like they want to phase out the cheaper brand which is a shame.

Right plus the branding for the company was youthful and fun (T-mobile currently). My parents wouldn’t allow me on their Sprint plan at my age. Atleast they bought the phone I wanted from Virgin. 

Right plus the branding for the company was youthful and fun (T-mobile currently). My parents wouldn’t allow me on their Sprint plan at my age. Atleast they bought the phone I wanted from Virgin. 
I got my first Virgin Mobile phone back in the early 2000 is a Kyocera phone it has a blue screen a flashlight and then no camera.

3 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

I got my first Virgin Mobile phone back in the early 2000 is a Kyocera phone it has a blue screen a flashlight and then no camera.

I had that one too. The flashlight was was kinda on the top side of the phone. Then I got their flip phone. Having Virgin Mobile  was one of the most fun times with a cellular carrier. 

I had that one too. The flashlight was was kinda on the top side of the phone. Then I got their flip phone. Having Virgin Mobile  was one of the most fun times with a cellular carrier. 
Yes it was on the top left-hand side.

Yup they were my first carrier too and the phone you guys are describing sounds a lot like my first phone but it had a color screen instead. This was it.
41ZA18GSX7L.jpg
That was an awesome phone back then

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Yup they were my first carrier too and the phone you guys are describing sounds a lot like my first phone but it had a color screen instead. This was it.

41ZA18GSX7L.jpg

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/25-charts-spectrum-ownership-united-states and here's something that's accurate.