SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

1 hour ago, Trip said:

One other question I have is about the logging functionality.  I've been having some issues with specifically my Verizon phone not logging things at times even though logging is enabled and both GCI and TAC are present.  I added back one of my old G4 Plays to try to chase down the B26 312250/B41 T-Mobile while keeping my primary T-Mobile phone available for B71, but have had a similar issue there.

I cannot be 100% sure, it seems that both of these phones will sometimes show correct and updating data but have "Connecting..." at the top right rather than "Connected to LTE."  (The notification icon will also show "--" rather than the dBm/band numbers.)  If I reset the mobile connection, it'll come back to "Connected to LTE" and then appear to log.  Does "Connecting..." when the phone is actually on LTE keep the phone from logging?

When it's showing "Connecting..." are any of the signal metrics on the screen changing? I'll have to double-check the code to confirm, but I don't think it will log anything because that displays when the device doesn't "know" what the connection type is.. that's why it doesn't say LTE. Even if the metrics appear to indicate LTE, the device isn't reporting that -- so SCP patiently waits for it to get sorted out. The logger won't know how to save any information it might be getting during that state. That label usually does not persist improperly, although sometimes when your connection is changing it may display briefly. Are these phones on active lines?

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

When it's showing "Connecting..." are any of the signal metrics on the screen changing? I'll have to double-check the code to confirm, but I don't think it will log anything because that displays when the device doesn't "know" what the connection type is.. that's why it doesn't say LTE. Even if the metrics appear to indicate LTE, the device isn't reporting that -- so SCP patiently waits for it to get sorted out. The logger won't know how to save any information it might be getting during that state. That label usually does not persist improperly, although sometimes when your connection is changing it may display briefly. Are these phones on active lines?

No.  I have, at present, three phones on active lines (AT&T via FreedomPop, US Cellular prepaid, and my main Sprint line) and three phones using SIMs solely to show LTE signal (Verizon E5 Play, T-Mobile E5 Play, and T-Mobile G4 Play).  The two with this issue are in the latter group (which the third, the T-Mobile E5 Play, doesn't seem to have this issue that I've noticed), but they generally say "Connected to LTE" except sometimes when they don't.

But yes, the statistics are updating.  I tend to eyeball my phones in case, for example, the GPS stops updating, which has been less of a problem lately.  If I notice something particularly interesting, I've taken to tapping it and saving an empty name, which will at least give me a row with the PLMN and GCI, and then a bunch of blank data in other places, like so:  https://imgur.com/a/lXt3DGQ

Before I locked out GSM and HSPA with Network Signal Guru so that my AT&T and T-Mobile phones only ever connect to LTE, I used to get "Connecting..." rows in my GSM log that were sometimes questionable.  (I could clearly tell some of them were actually LTE data.)

- Trip

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trip said:

No.  I have, at present, three phones on active lines (AT&T via FreedomPop, US Cellular prepaid, and my main Sprint line) and three phones using SIMs solely to show LTE signal (Verizon E5 Play, T-Mobile E5 Play, and T-Mobile G4 Play).  The two with this issue are in the latter group (which the third, the T-Mobile E5 Play, doesn't seem to have this issue that I've noticed), but they generally say "Connected to LTE" except sometimes when they don't.

Gotcha. I see the "Connecting.." sometimes on my inactive test devices, but not consistently. It's more when I'm on fringe signal, whether or not the device has an active line or not. I was just trying to come up with a direction to think about how to solve the underlying issue.

2 hours ago, Trip said:

Before I locked out GSM and HSPA with Network Signal Guru so that my AT&T and T-Mobile phones only ever connect to LTE, I used to get "Connecting..." rows in my GSM log that were sometimes questionable.  (I could clearly tell some of them were actually LTE data.)

Some devices report LTE connection values via GSM methods (and nothing via the LTE ones), especially older phones.. so it kind of makes sense that you might see those type of log entries occasionally. It took awhile for me to perfect it, but by now SCP does enough wizardry in the background to make it impossible to notice any difference as to where the source data is coming from.

Maybe I could add an option to force-log "Connecting" entries as LTE automatically.. perhaps set a flag that indicates it's questionable. I'll play with some ideas when I get close to finishing 5G logging.

• Like 1

New SCP beta was launched yesterday and went live on Google Play overnight! This is a fairly minor update from the last beta, some small bugfixes and Sprint 312250 should now follow the same pattern matching and offset rules for site notes as other Sprint PLMN IDs.

This release (version 4.63) was also rolled out to the public SignalCheck Pro and Lite channels overnight.

The primary reason for this release was to beat last night's deadline imposed by Google Play requiring app updates to target Android 10 or newer. Complying with this is going to be difficult, as when I tried to move the target version last spring, many users experienced problems with the app. Resolving these issues will have to be my priority for now. Anyone with a critical need for SCP should probably pay close attention to this thread and/or release notes to make sure they don't lose functionality they can't live without.

As always.. thank you for all of your help!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Maybe I could add an option to force-log "Connecting" entries as LTE automatically.. perhaps set a flag that indicates it's questionable. I'll play with some ideas when I get close to finishing 5G logging.

I rather like this idea, to be honest. 

- Trip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

I think I'm just going to add a "Trip" menu to the app, where I put all of your special tweaks in one spot.. 😜

I rather like this idea, to be honest.

😆

- Trip

• Haha 1

I believe this is a known issue to do with Samsung and not SignalCheck, though correct me if I'm wrong; I did lose my NR status completely when updating to the OneUI 3.0 Beta. I do still see the 'CONNECTED' status for 5G State in CellMapper but I'm guessing they broke some of the APIs that let you check more detailed info like signal strength within SignalCheck?

2 hours ago, littlejth said:

I believe this is a known issue to do with Samsung and not SignalCheck, though correct me if I'm wrong; I did lose my NR status completely when updating to the OneUI 3.0 Beta. I do still see the 'CONNECTED' status for 5G State in CellMapper but I'm guessing they broke some of the APIs that let you check more detailed info like signal strength within SignalCheck?

A recent Samsung update did break 5G-NR reporting on many of their devices, it's no longer reporting any signal strength (RSRP). I've tried a few workarounds but it's not going to be resolved until Samsung fixes it on their end. Please alert them to the issue through whatever beta feedback channels they offer!

8 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

A recent Samsung update did break 5G-NR reporting on many of their devices, it's no longer reporting any signal strength (RSRP). I've tried a few workarounds but it's not going to be resolved until Samsung fixes it on their end. Please alert them to the issue through whatever beta feedback channels they offer!

Is there a specific method that needs to have its return fixed so I can be more specific when reporting? Also, might it be possible to still indicate an NR connection without signal strength as a workaround or would that be something that you wouldn't wanna do unless this makes it into the final build? 

Thanks for all you do!

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshot_20201117-114655_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

With the latest OneUI 3.0 beta update today on my Note 20 Ultra, 5G reporting works again!

(also I realize now this is the beta topic and I probably should be using the other when the issue isn't related to a beta, but since I already posted here I figured I'd give closure to the issue!)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/17/2020 at 1:01 PM, littlejth said:

With the latest OneUI 3.0 beta update today on my Note 20 Ultra, 5G reporting works again!

(also I realize now this is the beta topic and I probably should be using the other when the issue isn't related to a beta, but since I already posted here I figured I'd give closure to the issue!)

Excellent!! Don't worry about posting in here.. you are on a beta OS, so it's on-topic.. ;)

• Like 1

Hey @mikejeep does this send anything to you when I hit send feedback? I keep having this pop up on my AT&T S20 Ultra but its been pretty much stable on my T-Mobile S20+, not sure what the difference would be. I've been using it more on the S20+ lately as I'm hunting down T-Mobile B(N)41. I'm thinking about doing a clean uninstall and reinstall on my AT&T phone and see if that helps.

KKgv4b2l.jpg 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 7:52 PM, mdob07 said:

Hey @mikejeep does this send anything to you when I hit send feedback? I keep having this pop up on my AT&T S20 Ultra but its been pretty much stable on my T-Mobile S20+, not sure what the difference would be. I've been using it more on the S20+ lately as I'm hunting down T-Mobile B(N)41. I'm thinking about doing a clean uninstall and reinstall on my AT&T phone and see if that helps. 

Yes.. it sends the crash report to Google Play, where there is a dashboard I can review to monitor crash information. I also use two other crash reporting services that send similar crash information when there is a problem. The three different systems often report varying information, so they all have value. In addition to those services, the user-triggered diagnostic reports I often ask for provide me with different data. Combined, all of these options give me a decent amount of behind-the-scenes information to help keep the app running smoothly as new devices and software updates are released.

• 2 weeks later...

New beta rolled out a couple days ago, tons of bugfixes (and one small new feature). Those if you who were experiencing intermittent crashes or closures, please let me know if this new version is an improvement.

Also, is anyone experiencing information updating slower than usual in the app? It was an issue back in the spring when I tried to target Android 10; this beta is my first attempt at trying that again.

Thanks!

My T-Mobile S20+ upgraded to Android 11 earlier, so far everything looks good. I sent a diagnostics report on SA 5G incase there's anything useful there. My AT&T phone seems to have calmed down as well, I haven't seen it force close at all or freeze in over a week now. 

• Thanks 1

my only observation so far on the new beta is i still seem to have times where its showing some form of CA combination but i'm connected to a tower that only has 1 band so wouldn't be possible from to have CA from it. i've been driving when it happens so not able to send a diagnostics report, but i'll get one to you as soon as i can.

one question though, when connected to 5G NSA, are you able to tell what band of 5G NSA the device is connected to? i haven't noticed it yet on the new beta but on the old version sometimes it would show 5G-NSA and sometimes it would show 5G-NSA 600. i wasn't sure if that was bad/stale data or if you could tell what band it was getting 5G from in NSA mode.

16 hours ago, bmoses said:

my only observation so far on the new beta is i still seem to have times where its showing some form of CA combination but i'm connected to a tower that only has 1 band so wouldn't be possible from to have CA from it. i've been driving when it happens so not able to send a diagnostics report, but i'll get one to you as soon as i can.

I always appreciate diagnostics from the field, but it's not something I can probably improve on if the CA bandwidths appear to be valid -- the phone is reporting it like that. Serious question: can multiple carriers on the same band be aggregated?

16 hours ago, bmoses said:

one question though, when connected to 5G NSA, are you able to tell what band of 5G NSA the device is connected to? i haven't noticed it yet on the new beta but on the old version sometimes it would show 5G-NSA and sometimes it would show 5G-NSA 600. i wasn't sure if that was bad/stale data or if you could tell what band it was getting 5G from in NSA mode.

No info is reported on NSA other than signal strength. That 5G 600 indicator was stale data that got stuck when switching from SA to NSA in certain circumstances. It should be resolved in this beta, thank you for confirming! 😉

12 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Serious question: can multiple carriers on the same band be aggregated?

Yes, I see AT&T aggregate multiple B2 and/or B66 carriers. One can be primary or both can be aggregated. T-Mobile is starting to add their AWS-3 to CA with PCS and AWS-1 around here now that it is widespread. I've not seen more than 2 carriers on the same FDD band in CA together. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Yes, I see AT&T aggregate multiple B2 and/or B66 carriers. One can be primary or both can be aggregated. T-Mobile is starting to add their AWS-3 to CA with PCS and AWS-1 around here now that it is widespread. I've not seen more than 2 carriers on the same FDD band in CA together. 

That's what I thought, but I have gotten feedback from several users recently who think the CA display is wrong because the site they are hitting only offers one band. Thank you!

Just installed the latest beta on both T-Mobile test phones (that was a bad idea), both Moto E5 Play and G4 Play and SCP is completely broken on both, reporting no data at all.  Works fine on my LG G8X (Sprint).

Diagnostics sent.  Can you send me the APK for the previous version?

- Trip

I just tried pulling the previous beta off my US Cellular phone and my AT&T phone, both of which hadn't been updated, and now even that version just crashes on startup on my T-Mobile phones.  Sigh.

- Trip

Realizing I should provide additional details.  Phones are Moto E5 Play and Moto G4 Play, so they run Android 8 and 7.1, respectively.  Aside from SCP losing its mind with this update, they otherwise seem to still work, and I was able to use them with Tower Collector this morning to record data to submit to MLS/OpenCellID and store locally for export.  (So I did confirm some things while I was out and about.)

This is all I see out of SCP in the latest build, this image is from the E5 Play:  https://imgur.com/a/afOTXuG

I won't be going anywhere that I really want to have them until 12/19, so hopefully the cause can be determined--or a rollback made to work--before then.

- Trip

20 hours ago, Trip said:

Just installed the latest beta on both T-Mobile test phones (that was a bad idea), both Moto E5 Play and G4 Play and SCP is completely broken on both, reporting no data at all.  Works fine on my LG G8X (Sprint).

Diagnostics sent.  Can you send me the APK for the previous version?

I saw your diagnostic report.. it's just null. That's it, null. Nothing else at all.. it literally just says the word null! The only devices I've ever seen do that were non-phone tablets like a Kindle fire. Impressive!

I don't have APKs, I deploy with bundles that Google Play determines how to handle on a case-by-case basis.. but I'll try to figure something out for you.. check your e-mail. Did previous versions work on these phones? New beta is rolling out now, give that a try in a few hours.

New beta rolling out now.. hopefully will become available on Google Play within a few hours! It has another pile of bugfixes, but more fun than that.. 5G logging and site notes! Just like LTE, you will need a minimum of a PLMN and a site ID (NCI) to save entries, which means you will need to have a standalone connection. I have not seen any non-standalone connections provide any cell identity information, so those will not be able to be logged.

I do not have access to 5G SA, so those of you who do, please test it thoroughly and let me know how it goes.

Another new feature is a somewhat hidden "shortcut" to send a diagnostic report -- long-press on the "Connected to [whatever]" line in the top right corner and it will send. It will use the username that was included on the last report (if any), but you can't include any details. This should come in handy for those of you trying to report certain situations or issues. You can always send a shortcut report, then follow it up with a regular one if you want to include a note.

The last significant change in this release is a new column in the log database, "hits". It is a running counter of how many times an entry is logged.. so it's how many times you have "hit" a cell. Right now it doesn't display anywhere in the app, but you will see it browsing the database or if you export your log. If there's somewhere in the app that you think would be useful to display it, let me know. I have some ideas for it in the future.

Thank you for the help!

• Like 3
  • Love 1