SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

11 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Excellent, thank you very much!

Anyone else have any feedback, especially related to the location issue -- either positive or negative?

i haven't been anywhere since the update 😕 but next time i'm out and about i plan on watching it to see how it performs! should be at least by this weekend :)

just sent you some diagnostics reports myself, around 10:13 to 10:21 CST. it wasn't fully "stuck" but it was taking a long time to update. last night i was out and was watching it update and it seemed to be updating around every 5 seconds to upwards of 20 to 30 seconds. but today when i sent the diagnostics reports it was not updating for 2 to 3 minutes or more. so i'm not sure why it updated more frequently last night but didn't today, hopefully you see something in the reports :)

• Thanks 1

Yesterday, I experienced the stuck location myself for the first time. My debugging was helpful, but I can't figure out why it isn't restarting itself automatically nor via the force method I have in place. I'll keep digging.

• Like 1

Not sure if it is helpful or not but when I entered Developer Options on my phone for something else, I noticed there is a setting called "Force Full GNSS measurements - Track all GNSS constellations and frequencies with no duty cycling". This lead me to this article:

https://barbeau.medium.com/gnss-interrupted-the-hidden-android-setting-you-need-to-know-d812d28a3821

I wonder if this has something to do with the random gaps/pauses that many are experiencing. What I noticed is that when I triggered this setting, all of a sudden a few Chinese and Japanese GNSS satellites became visible.

Thanks, that's probably not related though -- the app uses a common Google API that uses a mix of GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile signals to determine location. If another app (GMaps, Waze, etc) is requesting more precise location information, it uses that data.

Even if no GPS signal was available, some data, even with less accuracy, would be reported. Something is causing the entire process to stop working randomly, because other apps are continuing to receive updated location information.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:40 AM, bmoses said:

just sent you some diagnostics reports myself, around 10:13 to 10:21 CST. it wasn't fully "stuck" but it was taking a long time to update. last night i was out and was watching it update and it seemed to be updating around every 5 seconds to upwards of 20 to 30 seconds. but today when i sent the diagnostics reports it was not updating for 2 to 3 minutes or more. so i'm not sure why it updated more frequently last night but didn't today, hopefully you see something in the reports :)

Was your device moving a significant distance (driving, walking, etc) or were you mostly stationary or indoors? Android automatically does not send location updates if built-in sensors detect that the device hasn't really moved.

Just now, mikejeep said:

Was your device moving a significant distance (driving, walking, etc) or were you mostly stationary or indoors? Android automatically does not send location updates if built-in sensors detect that the device hasn't really moved.

i was driving with an average speed of about 40 mph during the entire trip. my phone was in a phone holder attached to the windshield and was on with signal check up the entire time. round trip i probably drove about 3 or 4 miles.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bmoses said:

i was driving with an average speed of about 40 mph during the entire trip. my phone was in a phone holder attached to the windshield and was on with signal check up the entire time. round trip i probably drove about 3 or 4 miles.

That's interesting, I would expect more frequent updates then. I did see your reports and saw the delayed updates. Delayed updates are likely separate from this bug where it gets completely stuck, but I will keep this in mind too.

The location API takes the two relevant settings under preferences (preferred accuracy and update timing) and is supposed to do the rest on its own. I have the least-likely-to-be-killed-off methods in place, but I'm wondering if the OS is getting too aggressive in conserving power anyway.

8 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

That's interesting, I would expect more frequent updates then. I did see your reports and saw the delayed updates. Delayed updates are likely separate from this bug where it gets completely stuck, but I will keep this in mind too.

The location API takes the two relevant settings under preferences (preferred accuracy and update timing) and is supposed to do the rest on its own. I have the least-likely-to-be-killed-off methods in place, but I'm wondering if the OS is getting too aggressive in conserving power anyway.

i just double checked and those settings are set to balanced for accuracy and 1000 for timing, just as a FYI

4 minutes ago, bmoses said:

i just double checked and those settings are set to balanced for accuracy and 1000 for timing, just as a FYI

Yes, that is included when you send diagnostics thanks.. those are reasonable settings that should not cause problems. I rarely have issues with Balanced/3000 -- if everything is working properly, it's a solid choice that keeps your logs accurate without hammering your battery unnecessarily. But, something is not working properly.....

On the latest build, I got an error when uploading web data and sent diagnostics along with this screenshot below:

Id4irPQ_nrUrfvJBgMlNG36avjy_nLN6iG4w4Ear

This was after my phone primarily was forced onto B41 for a short trip through areas both where T-Mobile has B41 towers and there are still some Sprint ones that my phone attempts to connect to but doesn't since they're only broadcasting 310120 and not 312250.

EDIT: Can confirm that my second upload later in the day went without a hitch.

I noticed something interesting today - both of my Androids were displaying and updating the location when the location service was off...maybe this is related to the issue we've been seeing?

19 hours ago, RAvirani said:

I noticed something interesting today - both of my Androids were displaying and updating the location when the location service was off...maybe this is related to the issue we've been seeing?

When you say "location service was off" do you mean the Location Service in SCP itself, or a device location setting?

I'm going to throw in a random observation that I can't back up with logs just yet, but maybe others have seen this: 

Recent trip from St. Louis to Madison, I was using the latest Beta (on S21 Ultra, TNX) with the trail logging on and my Bluetooth would disconnect from my Durango (2020, Uconnect 4) while I was on calls. I would exit SCP and the behavior would stop and no longer disconnect on calls. I was able to replicate this several times over even after restarting my phone and clearing caches. With trail logging on or off, it would still disconnect my bluetooth after some time. Exit SCP, phone calls were fine. 

SCP also crashed on me several times, but because I was driving, I didn't get the logs sent in, Mike. You can see it happen though on Highway 39 right in the middle of Illinois if you look at the signalcheck map, lots of pins and then nothing once I hit the middle of IL heading north after the crash, lol. 

I sent a couple of reports last night and wanted to follow up with an observation. i had 2 times last night where i was stationary for a significant amount of time and once i started moving the location never updated. So i'm wondering if thats what causes it to get stuck, is when the location doesn't change because you aren't moving and then doesn't re-engage once movement starts again? In my example last night i left my house to take my daughter to gymnastics and ~10 minutes into the drive the location was still stuck from before i left my house. so i exited SCP and relaunched it and the location started updating. then got to gymnastics where i was stationary waiting for about an hour and when we left there the location didn't update at all and was stuck from where i was stationary there.

Regarding these location service issues, I am starting to believe it could be a bug in the Google Play location API. I recently updated it to a newer version; I will roll it back and push out a new beta sometime this week. I have not been able to come up with any other source of the problem. Fingers crossed!

• Like 4

A new SignalCheck Pro beta release is rolling out now and should be available shortly. Most of the bugfixes are related to the Location Service getting stuck -- please monitor this and let me know if it is behaving better, worse, or about the same. Thank you!

Sent you a new diagnostic report. Updated the app this morning and left the house this afternoon to run somewhere. Several minutes into the drive and it still hadn't updated the location/time.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

I have a feature request.  With as many phones as I have, I'd very much like an option to stick a suffix on the name of any files exported from SCP, including database backups.  I may have mentioned this one before, but it's been bugging me more lately.

So imagine going into the Preferences and being able to set an option called something like "export name suffix."  I could stick "tmo" in that option, and then when I back up the database, instead of just getting out a file named:

20210528-182723_signalcheck_log.db

I would get out a file named:

20210528-182723_signalcheck_log_tmo.db

This would make keeping track of the multiple files as I work on merging them together a whole lot easier, as I wouldn't have to copy one at a time and rename each one in sequence.  And I would hope it's something pretty straight-forward to do.

Any chance you can help me out on this?

- Trip

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trip said:

have a feature request.  With as many phones as I have, I'd very much like an option to stick a suffix on the name of any files exported from SCP, including database backups.

I like it! I don't recall you asking for it, but if you did I apologize. I will get it added.

Also, still debugging the location issues.. haven't gotten much feedback. If anyone has observations they haven't shared yet, please let me know!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

I like it! I don't recall you asking for it, but if you did I apologize. I will get it added.

Also, still debugging the location issues.. haven't gotten much feedback. If anyone has observations they haven't shared yet, please let me know!

I'm still seeing the issue with the latest update...should I continue to send diagnostic reports?