SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

When it freezes, does the screen keep updating? Can you send a diagnostic next time you notice it happens please.. thanks!

Sure will, I wanted to but I was driving so I couldn't search for the Send Diagnostics menu. It happened three times yesterday. I took one short drive today and it didn't happen. 

1 hour ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Sure will, I wanted to but I was driving so I couldn't search for the Send Diagnostics menu. It happened three times yesterday. I took one short drive today and it didn't happen. 

As long as you've previously saved your username on a report, try a long-press on the "Connected to LTE" text... 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mikejeep said:

As long as you've previously saved your username on a report, try a long-press on the "Connected to LTE" text... 😉

I have another bug: Every now and then, when I click Menu>Exit the program doesn't fully close. The program window closes but the notification icon remains.

I can't help but wonder if it isn't related to the other bug because it did occur at least twice on Saturday around the same time as the location bug. Maybe when that happens, the location service doesn't resume gracefully. I think this not closing bug occurred again this morning so I sent a diagnostic report using the long press technique you just mentioned after reopening the app. I say think because I have noticed many times it takes a few to tens of second to close the notification icon but in the bug cases we are talking 30+ minutes and it is still there.

Ok it happened again. From what I can set, it is only the accuracy portion which is frozen at +/- 11.7m everything else updates just fine. During logging I picked up almost no data points during my drive. Typically I should have 100-200 data points (at least)in a 20 min through a "new" area, I had 25. Sent the diagnostics. 

On 4/5/2021 at 11:25 AM, PedroDaGr8 said:

I have another bug: Every now and then, when I click Menu>Exit the program doesn't fully close. The program window closes but the notification icon remains.

I can't help but wonder if it isn't related to the other bug because it did occur at least twice on Saturday around the same time as the location bug. Maybe when that happens, the location service doesn't resume gracefully. I think this not closing bug occurred again this morning so I sent a diagnostic report using the long press technique you just mentioned after reopening the app. I say think because I have noticed many times it takes a few to tens of second to close the notification icon but in the bug cases we are talking 30+ minutes and it is still there.

18 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Ok it happened again. From what I can set, it is only the accuracy portion which is frozen at +/- 11.7m everything else updates just fine. During logging I picked up almost no data points during my drive. Typically I should have 100-200 data points (at least)in a 20 min through a "new" area, I had 25. Sent the diagnostics. 

I received your diagnostic reports, thanks! Unfortunately they do not show anything out of the ordinary, and I have no automated crash reports either. Do you have battery optimization for SCP disabled? Some others have reported that improves their stability on newer Samsung devices. I am not sure what to suggest other than an app uninstall/reinstall, since I don't have other reports of this or an error message to look into. If you do that, make sure you back up your log database before uninstalling, and then restore it on the new install.

• Like 1

A new SCP release for the Beta Crew is rolling out now, version 4.672b. No new features; it is all bugfixes and internal improvements -- those of you experiencing various crashes and freezes, please let me know if this update is better, worse, or about the same. Thanks!

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

Anyone with previous crashing issues seeing any improvement with latest SCP beta? Eerily quiet on the feedback front, hopefully that's a good thing..

I did everything you said previously.

With the most recent beta, anytime I open the software it tells me that location services are not available. This is despite it clearly have a good GPS fix with good accuracy visible right behind the message (I blacked out some of the GPS coordinates) and it having location access ALL of the time. 

2NCvrVS.jpg

Mike, just sent a diagnostic report. I drove from Louisville to Lexington KY this morning and didn't notice until I reached my destination that SCP didn't update the location data the entire way here. I only noticed because I was trying to add a note to a site and kept getting my home address for my location instead of where I was actually at. GPS coordinates were not updating at the top in SCP either. I did have Cell Mapper and Google maps running as well and they both had no issues with location data. An exit and restart of scp fixes the issue. Report was sent before I exited. 

2 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Mike, just sent a diagnostic report. I drove from Louisville to Lexington KY this morning and didn't notice until I reached my destination that SCP didn't update the location data the entire way here. I only noticed because I was trying to add a note to a site and kept getting my home address for my location instead of where I was actually at. GPS coordinates were not updating at the top in SCP either. I did have Cell Mapper and Google maps running as well and they both had no issues with location data. An exit and restart of scp fixes the issue. Report was sent before I exited. 

I've noticed something similar in some of my web data uploads - all of the sites I hit on a drive will only have my home location. Hopefully this diagnostic helps to identify the problem!

3 hours ago, RAvirani said:

I've noticed something similar in some of my web data uploads - all of the sites I hit on a drive will only have my home location. Hopefully this diagnostic helps to identify the problem!

@mikejeep @RAvirani is there a way to clear that data on my phone so I don't upload a bunch of bad data?

45 minutes ago, mdob07 said:

@mikejeep @RAvirani is there a way to clear that data on my phone so I don't upload a bunch of bad data?

@mikejeep would be the one to ask about app-related stuff - I only handle things after data is uploaded.

Cleaning up the sector polygons when this happens is quite a headache so definitely don't upload your web data yet!

6 hours ago, RAvirani said:

glad you guys posted this, i was noticing the same thing but haven't had a chance to really look into it yet :)

1 hour ago, RAvirani said:

@mikejeep would be the one to ask about app-related stuff - I only handle things after data is uploaded.

Cleaning up the sector polygons when this happens is quite a headache so definitely don't upload your web data yet!

Probably wasn't the cleanest way but I cleared my trail log and then it showed 0 points to upload. So I think I scrubbed the bad data.

• Like 1

Ugh.. mdob07 your report did not show any problems. I am stumped at the moment, as I can't replicate this. I will do some research to see if I can figure out what might be causing this.

What devices is everyone seeing this problem with? Also, what Android version?

Sorry for the trouble!

3 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Mine is S20+ Android 11 March security update, one UI 3.1 on T-Mobile. 

• Thanks 1

I've had to toggle Location Service off and on with my G8X in some cases to get it to update.  I always check my coordinates to make sure they're updating as I've historically had GPS problems with some of my phones.

- Trip

@mikejeepToday I'm having the same issue on my AT&T phone with the GPS coordinates not updating. I sent another diagnostic report and haven't yet exited so it's still in that state if you want me to try anything besides exiting.

• Sad 1

On 4/20/2021 at 7:37 PM, mikejeep said:

Ugh.. mdob07 your report did not show any problems. I am stumped at the moment, as I can't replicate this. I will do some research to see if I can figure out what might be causing this.

Sorry for the trouble!

I'm on Samsung Note 20 Ultra, Android 11 (February 2021 Update), One UI 3.1

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mdob07 said:

@mikejeepToday I'm having the same issue on my AT&T phone with the GPS coordinates not updating. I sent another diagnostic report and haven't yet exited so it's still in that state if you want me to try anything besides exiting.

Unfortunately no errors are on any reports or crash submissions from you or anyone else. I'm going to have to add some temporary extra logging to try debugging the issue.

I've been slammed with other stuff the past couple of weeks, sorry for not being able to devote much time to this issue lately. I will get to it.. and several other things filling up my inbox!

• Like 3

Another SignalCheck Pro beta release is rolling out now! It actually has a lot of changes.. the only action necessary would be that anyone experiencing issues with the location service getting "stuck" should go to Preferences > Beta Crew and enable the location timestamp - this will let you see the frequency of updates live on your screen.

I did make some adjustments to the location service itself that *may* have resolved the problem, but of course I won't be certain without testing by all of you.

Here is the 4.673b changelog.. some nice improvements on this list..

• Added 5G-NR neighbor cell display.
  • Added location service debugging and option to display location timestamp.
  • Adjusted RSRP threshold for web entries to be stronger than -118 dB.
  • Changed site note & icon lock option to be two separate options.
  • Improved 5G-NR information on some devices.
  • Resolved additional force closes on some Android 10 devices.
  • Resolved issue with old web entries being re-uploaded after a log import.
  • Resolved issue with web entries that failed validation not being exported for inspection.
  • Resolved issue with web entries that failed validation not being removed from the upload queue.
  • Updated internal crash reporting library.

Please provide feedback when you can, especially about the location bug. If you experience an issue, please send a diagnostic report as soon after the issue as possible. If the app is restarted (or crashes), some information could be lost. More feedback = better chance I can resolve things. Thanks!

• Like 3

On 4/30/2021 at 10:06 AM, mikejeep said:

Another SignalCheck Pro beta release is rolling out now! It actually has a lot of changes.. the only action necessary would be that anyone experiencing issues with the location service getting "stuck" should go to Preferences > Beta Crew and enable the location timestamp - this will let you see the frequency of updates live on your screen.

I did make some adjustments to the location service itself that *may* have resolved the problem, but of course I won't be certain without testing by all of you.

Here is the 4.673b changelog.. some nice improvements on this list..

• Added 5G-NR neighbor cell display.
  • Added location service debugging and option to display location timestamp.
  • Adjusted RSRP threshold for web entries to be stronger than -118 dB.
  • Changed site note & icon lock option to be two separate options.
  • Improved 5G-NR information on some devices.
  • Resolved additional force closes on some Android 10 devices.
  • Resolved issue with old web entries being re-uploaded after a log import.
  • Resolved issue with web entries that failed validation not being exported for inspection.
  • Resolved issue with web entries that failed validation not being removed from the upload queue.
  • Updated internal crash reporting library.

Please provide feedback when you can, especially about the location bug. If you experience an issue, please send a diagnostic report as soon after the issue as possible. If the app is restarted (or crashes), some information could be lost. More feedback = better chance I can resolve things. Thanks!

I've been trying it out since you released it and I'm noticing a notable improvement in logging/location with this beta; especially when the app is not in the foreground. 

• Love 1

10 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

I've been trying it out since you released it and I'm noticing a notable improvement in logging/location with this beta; especially when the app is not in the foreground. 

Excellent, thank you very much!

Anyone else have any feedback, especially related to the location issue -- either positive or negative?