Verizon 5G Testing

AppleFanBoy

I found this article amusing: http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/08/technology/verizon-5g/index.html

They start by saying that Verizon was the first to deploy a 4G network (maybe the first US carrier to deploy an LTE network, but Sprint beat them with WiMax by a couple of years and Korea had it a couple years before that), gush about how great Verizon's new network will be, and then go on to admit that they don't have a clue what 5G actually means.

They didn't even have the first LTE network, MetroPCS beat them to it in the US.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_for_verizon_by_pentagram.php#.VfBQkLxtrFI

I have to agree with the sentiment here that "nobody is winning the race." Although I'm biased toward the 60's era Saul Bass Bell logo. If AT&T went back to that it I'd tip the cap their way. 

att_1969_cl_1_zpstkbl79jx.gif

• Like 1

5G speeds could blow through a S, M, L, and XL bucket of data in 45 seconds.

Good show, Verizon[emoji818]️

Well they just added a XXL plan  option today 18 gb for 100 dollars. Verizon is the queen of data caps, and they will continue to be since they bet the company future on the wireless division.

For those that think Verizon will go further on prices they are mistaken, they have a Vodafone debt of 150 billions, and soon or later the banks will want their money back.

• Like 2

I believe vzw was the first nationwide completed 4g carrier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Neither Verizon or anyone else has completed their 4g roll out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What does completed mean? No wireless network, that I am aware of is completed.

I suppose no carrier is ever done no...

But

https://gigaom.com/2013/06/27/verizon-wraps-up-lte-rollout-plans-all-voip-phone-launch-for-late-2014/

Well they just added a XXL plan  option today 18 gb for 100 dollars. Verizon is the queen of data caps, and they will continue to be since they bet the company future on the wireless division.

For those that think Verizon will go further on prices they are mistaken, they have a Vodafone debt of 150 billions, and soon or later the banks will want their money back.

I figure Verizon would do something like this soon, but apparently its now on. I figure Verizon will change some things around for the holiday season for pricing, which I've speculated on a few times already. Considering this news though, I'll update my holiday predictions to 10gb for $50 monthly, 15gb for $75 monthly, and 20gb for $100 monthly, possibly with a per line reduction to either back at $15 each, or possibly even $10 each, monthly.

I figure Verizon would do something like this soon, but apparently its now on. I figure Verizon will change some things around for the holiday season for pricing, which I've speculated on a few times already. Considering this news though, I'll update my holiday predictions to 10gb for $50 monthly, 15gb for $75 monthly, and 20gb for $100 monthly, possibly with a per line reduction to either back at $15 each, or possibly even $10 each, monthly.

Similar to AT&T - Verizon has to be be carefull with these deals. Hence why they are timed. I'm sure they (all carriers) have a dashboard that says we need X amount of new higher margin customers by Y date in order to pad the quarterly earning reports.

Sprint and TMO can be much more creative!

Either way its a good thing for customers.

• Like 1

That would put Verizon cheaper than sprint???

20gb 4 lines $140??? That would kill Tmo/sprint

That would put Verizon cheaper than sprint???

20gb 4 lines $140??? That would kill Tmo/sprint

My predictions are for the holidays, when all carriers will have deals. My guess is that both T-Mobile and Sprint likely will have much better deals around then than they have now. My guess would be 30gb for $90 monthly (before line adds/extra fees involving line minimums) around then, where the best I can see AT&T and Verizon going is 20gb for $100. It really depends what all this new competition in devices brings this year, along with the ever more decreasing differences in network quality among the carriers. AT&T and Verizon both are competing against each other in some ways now, whereas in years past they basically were the same price as each other.

One thing though I can't see lasting very long, at least without some sort of added benefit, is this increase in line price by Verizon. With Sprint and T-Mobile lowering line prices, it just doesn't make much competitive sense to be raising line prices, especially when AT&T still is at $15 monthly per line. The price either has to come back down, or end up changing somehow, perhaps such as my idea of eliminating data buckets and having a higher per line fee with data included, then just have a ow flat overage fee per gb after.

To clarify though, the lowest I can see AT&T and Verizon going per line at the current plan spec, is $10 per line. Likely though, it'll only go down to $15 again, but I leave the possibility of it going lower depending on how much they see the need to compete during the holidays this year, which I'm only guessing might be this way, due to the fiercer competition and with what we are currently seeing with prices. I'll add this note though, that the lower end promotional plans at AT&T and Verizon likely won't see such a major drop in per line price, if there is one for the higher end promotional plans. Doing so would be giving in too much, though at the higher end with all the family lines AT&T and Verizon are going after, those will see the best deals, for sure. 

• Like 1

No carrier is EVER done with their any rollout.

I hope they do still think they're done with their LTE rollout, then there's more hope for the other 3 carriers than we thought...

Its more for capacity. The higher the speed means u can distribute it to more devices. That is what 5g is all about is handling all these new internet devices being connected to networks

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

That is exactly how I think of faster speeds...not so much about individual usage but rather that the tower has a lot of capacity to distribute to more users and maintain a decent QOS.

That is exactly how I think of faster speeds...not so much about individual usage but rather that the tower has a lot of capacity to distribute to more users and maintain a decent QOS.

Ya exactly, everyone always says ur flashing ur e-peen but in reality the only reason i care about faster speeds is because it means the tower has plenty of capacity

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Is anyone else cracking up about the back up qb commercials?

Sent from my iPhone 6 64GB using Tapatalk

They are pretty funny.  And they do get the point across.

Im gonna have to agree with ATT here, Verizon is definitely being overzealous pushing vaporware..

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/atts-lurie-lets-get-5g-standards-we-start-hyping-technology/2015-09-14

AT&T lagged behind Verizon pushing out 3G. They seem to be like let's see what everybody else is going to, then they pull the plug and deploy it everywhere in 6 months or some ridiculously fast time schedule and catch up to everybody else.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

AT&T Is right here. 5G is not even defined. Verizon is just proposing a 4G LTE network that's souped up with existing technology. Carrier Aggregation and wide channels. It's not materially different than Sprint's plans, but Sprint did not have the audacity to call it 5G.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 10

AT&T Is right here. 5G is not even defined. Verizon is just proposing a 4G LTE network that's souped up with existing techology. Carrier Aggregation and wide channels. It's not materially different than Sprint's plans, but Sprint did not have the audacity to call it 5G.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

Yes, your right but I'm still glad somebody is pushing ahead and VZW has a pretty good track record with their rollouts so hopefully it'll keep the carriers on their toes....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A brief update from me on a few things. I'm considering getting something temporary, either Cricket or a Verizon data-only plan, until next year when the updated Exynos processors and the Snapdragon 820 are released. It seems worth it to wait for a new device with either of those procesors featuring 3x can capabilities.

Anyways, while I've been considering this, I got to thinking about my earlier posts about Verizon's holiday pricing this year, which is another consideration for me. I'm going to revise my thought of Verizon having a deal for $10 per line, as I think it'll go back down to $15 per line, at most. The monthly pricing deals I'm now thinking might be 15gb for $75 monthly and $15 per line, monthly.

I'm also curious if Verizon might go against my thoughts of lowering the per line rates, except on sub $100 monthly plans where they might still do. However, they could lower the rates of heavier data plans, while raising the per line rates to access them. Such as having a 30gb plan for $120 or $130 monthly, but charging $30 per line to access them. Just some thoughts to the holiday promotional pricing this year.

Although, I'd still really like to see the per line rate to drop down to $10 per line, as it use to be. Perhaps along with this pricing for the holidays : 15gb - $90 Monthly, 20gb - $100 Monthly, 25gb - $110 Monthly, and 30gb - $120 Monthly. The latter plans akin/similar to last year's double data pricing. With contracts mostly gone, I'd expect some great pricing on both plans and devices this holiday season.