Wahoo! US Cellullar (and other) EV-DO Roaming Is Live

Mr.Nuke

I think Sprint is watching me.. 

Yeah, well, you have a picture of Belichick as your avatar.  Somebody definitely is watching you.  Heck, Belichick probably is watching you, too.

AJ

Yeah, well, you have a picture of Belichick as your avatar.  Somebody definitely is watching you.  Heck, Belichick probably is watching you, too.

Nah, he's too busy putting more goodies in the hoodie to worry about me.. #freebrady

tumblr_npyvpn9V6f1qzohauo6_500.jpg

-Mike

It took like a day for it to process. I was driving to Denver from KC, so driving on I-70 managed to rack up about 260MB in roaming (didn't even think about it, my brother was streaming music). The next day I got the alert that I was close to the cap. Then on the trip back to KC, I hit the cap. Didn't get a text alert until I got to KC, but it shut me off somewhere in western KS. So it's no immediate. If you use all 300MB in one day, you might not get an alert.

I used it over two and a half days. I arrived Sunday afternoon, by Tuesday night I was cut off and couldn't load anything. On Wednesday morning I tried again and got the landing page.

US Cellular EVDO roaming was live all across Rt 50 in WV. It worked fine. I was on my motorcycle and used Google maps for navigation with no issues. I also connected to ntelos for a small section of Rt 50 but I was on US Cellular for about 80% of the trip. I did not notice any loss of signal at all during my trip, which very much had me impressed with US Cellular's coverage in very rural areas.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1

I live in a US Cellular area and noticed in the last several days my Uconnect in my Dodge pickup now show's 3G instead of 1X. I had been wondering if other devices besides phones would have access to US Cellular coverage..guess they do.

• Like 1

I live in a US Cellular area and noticed in the last several days my Uconnect in my Dodge pickup now show's 3G instead of 1X. I had been wondering if other devices besides phones would have access to US Cellular coverage..guess they do.

Probably.

I think Chrysler's Uconnect uses Sprint. 

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/chrysler-group-enlists-sprint-for-strategic-wireless-partner-role-enabling-uconnect-access.htm

So tell us then, what PRL is your car on?  :P

• Like 3

Sorry to "off-road" this thread a bit, but how well does that hotspot work? I'm attempting to save for a new Jeep Cherokee and that would just be an awesome thing to have in my opinion.

Also for anyone curious... here is the coverage map for UConnect: http://www.driveuconnect.com/coverage/

Good ol' small coverage map! ;)  

Sorry to "off-road" this thread a bit, but how well does that hotspot work? I'm attempting to save for a new Jeep Cherokee and that would just be an awesome thing to have in my opinion.

Also for anyone curious... here is the coverage map for UConnect: http://www.driveuconnect.com/coverage/

Good ol' small coverage map! ;)

I don't subscribe to any uconnect services. If I'm gonna pay for a hotspot it's gotta be LTE lol. I don't know why a 2014 vehicle still only has a EVDO modem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Another thing I forgot to write in my first post was while I was roaming on US Cellular, my wifi kept coming on. I always turn off the connection optimizer so this was something different. Sprint must have it programmed into the phone to scan for wifi when in a roaming area.

Sent from my Note 4.

I travel to Rock Springs, Wyoming a couple of times a year and noticed that I am not roaming. Last time I maxed out my roaming limit pretty quickly. The speeds seemed to have improved a bit, in the day time it had 0.3 meg down but last night I hit over 1 meg down.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I travel to Rock Springs, Wyoming a couple of times a year and noticed that I am not roaming. Last time I maxed out my roaming limit pretty quickly. The speeds seemed to have improved a bit, in the day time it had 0.3 meg down but last night I hit over 1 meg down.

See the second post.  You were probably camped on Strata Networks (aka UBET Wireless).

Will your data usage be counted as pseudo native, though?  The latest PRL update seems to suggest so.  But I would take a wait and see attitude.

AJ

Not sure why, but I'm at my parents' house today in US Cellular territory and I do not have EV-DO roaming working.  Just 1X, like in the past.  I tried updating the PRL, still on 55026.  Anyone have any other ideas?

- Trip

It shows as non roaming but for some reason it comes across as AT&T as the 1xRTT provider in Signal Check Pro.

What 1X SID(s) do you see? What provider shows up in your system's status or notification pulldown areas? Not within SignalCheck; where you see it without the app. It's in the app as AT&T because that was the best/only information I had. Send a diagnostic report (About > Send Diagnostics) next time you are connected and it should give me what I need to improve it.

-Mike

This past weekend, I noticed when I connected to Verizon while roaming, sometimes I had 1x only and other times I connected to 1x and EVDO. At one point, I was within a quarter mile of the tower and was connected to 1x with a -56 signal strength and not connected to EVDO, so it wasn't due to being too far away. Any guesses as to why sometimes it would connect to EVDO and sometimes it wouldn't?

Sent from my Note 4.

From what I observed when I was hunting through the PRL, it will only connect to Sprint EV-DO when roaming on Verizon.

- Trip

When I connected to EVDO, I was nowhere near any Sprint towers.

Sent from my Note 4.

When I connected to EVDO, I was nowhere near any Sprint towers.

If you provide a location, Trip or I can take a closer look at the PRL.  But, most likely, you were never connected to VZW EV-DO.  You were roaming on VZW CDMA1X and sporadically connecting to another operator's distant EV-DO.

AJ

• Like 2

If you provide a location, Trip or I can take a closer look at the PRL. But, most likely, you were never connected to VZW EV-DO. You were roaming on VZW CDMA1X and sporadically connecting to another operator's distant EV-DO.

AJ

I was on a lot of back roads but I do remember connecting to EVDO where SCP showed I was connected to Verizon while on Rt 50 between Parkersburg, WV and Clarksburg, WV. I was also connected to US Cellular EVDO (roaming) and ntelos (obviously showed as native) in that stretch too.

I suppose it's possible I connected to US Cellular or ntelos EVDO while connected to Verizon 1x but I don't know why it would have done that instead of just connecting to the same provider for both.

Sent from my Note 4.

No idea, but the way the PRL is laid out, Verizon roaming is only 1X, with the option of connecting to EV-DO from Sprint.

Which Verizon SID were you on?

- Trip

No idea, but the way the PRL is laid out, Verizon roaming is only 1X, with the option of connecting to EV-DO from Sprint.

Which Verizon SID were you on?

- Trip

Unfortunately, I didn't screen shot anything so I don't know. I was on a motorcycle ride and just noticed the weird EVDO connection when we stopped on several occasions.

Sent from my Note 4.