Similar forum like this but for AT&T?

xmx1024

An interesting observation I've made recently is that AT&T B30 range is a lot worse than Sprint B41 range. At a tower I frequent, AT&T and Sprint/Clear are set up with the same sector alignment, the Clear cells being a few inches above the AT&T ones. AT&T's B30 dies when Sprint B41 is still at -102 to -108. Is this by design or is AT&T's equipment not that great or what?

An interesting observation I've made recently is that AT&T B30 range is a lot worse than Sprint B41 range. At a tower I frequent, AT&T and Sprint/Clear are set up with the same sector alignment, the Clear cells being a few inches above the AT&T ones. AT&T's B30 dies when Sprint B41 is still at -102 to -108. Is this by design or is AT&T's equipment not that great or what?

Possibly related: Didn't AT&T have to show that B30 wouldn't interfere with Sirius XM signals? Was there a power restriction associated with that?

When tuned and turned up AT&T B30 far outperforms Sprint B41 in range. They have to start it up on super low power to make sure it doesn't interfere with Sirius.

• Like 1

It would be great if AT&T decided to innovate a bit more, rather than copying Verizon. Surely what AT&T is doing by having the Unlimited Data plan is great, especially as it is the most truly unlimited of all the current Unlimited Data plans available, followed by T-Mobile, then lastly Sprint, which Sprint use to be the best of these Unlimited Data plans prior to all of the speed limiting they're doing.

Verizon is getting insane with their pricing. I read they're going to soon have a 12gb for $80 monthly, which adding two lines at $20 each, makes it $120 monthly. Breaking that down per gb is $10 for each gb, essentially. Yet paying $135 monthly for the 30gb plan with two lines at $20 each, making that $175 monthly, well that is just around $5.83 per gb. That is a difference of $4.17 per gb more people with two lines are paying on the 12gb plan than on the 30gb plan, even though people on the 30gb plan pay $55 more monthly, but get an additional 18gb each month. For that additional data calculates to $3.05 per gb for that 18gb.

So, if Verizon had an 18gb plan based on these figures, it could be $55 monthly at $3.05 per gb, or $104.94 at 5.83 per gb. Both of those rates are less than the $120 rate for 12gb with two lines. Of course I'm considering the cost of two lines into these calculations, but they still fairly show this discrepancy nonetheless. If a Verizon customer can spare the extra cash, it is a much better overall value paying an additional $55 more for the 30gb plan with two lines.

Of course, I still think this is overcharge. I think Verizon should, and its possible that eventually they might do this or around this, have 30gb for $110 monthly, instead of $135 monthly, and with the two lines at $20 each, makes it $150 monthly, equivalent to $5 per gb. That ought to be the highest Verizon charges for two lines, and since there is this movement in wireless to have carriers focus postpaid plans on multiple lines, perhaps individual lines shouldn't be sold anymore with these plans, but rather start it at two lines, then add up. Hopefully then the rate could go back down to $15 per line, or even continue on with this theme of giving extra data per line, by raising the rate to $30 per line with 5gb bonus data. The latter could be done with 30gb at $90 monthly ($3 per gb) then the two lines, equaling $150 monthly for 30gb and two lines, both with 5gb bonus data each for a total of 40gb.

When tuned and turned up AT&T B30 far outperforms Sprint B41 in range. They have to start it up on super low power to make sure it doesn't interfere with Sirius.

gusherb,

What are all of AT&T's spectrum here in the Chicago area?

gusherb,

What are all of AT&T's spectrum here in the Chicago area?

30MHz 700 (10x10 + 5MHz usable)

20MHz AWS-1 

20MHz AWS-3

40MHz PCS (possibly swapped for continuous 20x20?) 

40MHz WCS (only deploying 10x10) 

25MHz CLR (10x10 usable)

• Like 1

If I want to see what LTE bands are being used in my area, is there a sim I can pop in my N5X and it work?  Similar to TMobile's prepaid sim cards.  Those give me free Speedtest's but that isn't necessary.  Just want to see if I can spot B30. 

20MHz AWS-1

20MHz AWS-3

25MHz CLR (10x10 usable)

PCS A block and F block are what they hold. I've looked it over and they would have to coordinate with Verizon AND Sprint in order to get contiguous 40 MHz PCS.

If I want to see what LTE bands are being used in my area, is there a sim I can pop in my N5X and it work?  Similar to TMobile's prepaid sim cards.  Those give me free Speedtest's but that isn't necessary.  Just want to see if I can spot B30. 

I throw $10 on an H2O Wireless SIM and I'm set for three months.  I just restrict background data.

- Trip

20MHz AWS-1

20MHz AWS-3

25MHz CLR (10x10 usable)

AT&T actually only has 30mhz of WCS, a 10x10 block and 10mhz unpaired.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm impressed with ATT's B30 signal strength at my house vs the Sprint Clearwire site that serves me. I see -115dbm on B41 and -96dbm on B30. Both signals originate from the same area and both are checked on iPhone 6S's.

I don't seem to have CA with ATT on this tower. Sprint does, and the 20+20 tdd smokes ATT's 10x10 fdd in download speeds.

I'm impressed with ATT's B30 signal strength at my house vs the Sprint Clearwire site that serves me. I see -115dbm on B41 and -96dbm on B30. Both signals originate from the same area and both are checked on iPhone 6S's.

I don't seem to have CA with ATT on this tower. Sprint does, and the 20+20 tdd smokes ATT's 10x10 fdd in download speeds.

Do the AT&T and Clear antennae have the same sector alignment?

Do the AT&T and Clear antennae have the same sector alignment?

Yeah, they are very similar. The only thing I can think of is the Clear gear is quite a bit lower on the tower and looks to be below the tree line of nearby pine trees whereas the ATT equipment at the top looks above the tree line. ATT, Verizon & T-Mobile have put their equipment on the top three separate poles, just above the tree line in the same vicinity. Now that I type that out it does seem very plausible that could be the issue.

Yeah, they are very similar. The only thing I can think of is the Clear gear is quite a bit lower on the tower and looks to be below the tree line of nearby pine trees whereas the ATT equipment at the top looks above the tree line. ATT, Verizon & T-Mobile have put their equipment on the top three separate poles, just above the tree line in the same vicinity. Now that I type that out it does seem very plausible that could be the issue.

In my experience Sprint loves being on the bottom. Must be cheaper.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Could very well be the issue. I often see Sprint B41 outperform AT&T's B30 here in Seattle so...

• 3 weeks later...

AT&T has been a wonderful network experience these past few months for me here in the Chicago area, so I'm keeping them. Besides, this has been while using the great, but not quite flagship-level Sony Xperia XA Ultra, which is missing 10x10 band 30 and 10x10 band 66.

I'm planning to upgrade to the LG V20, which will support these bands, and make an even more amazing network experience here, especially being on the heavily discounted unlimited plan. For example, a few weeks ago I was out of town at a nice hotel which unfortunately doesn't have very good Internet access. So, I relied on tethering for a few days, which I'm surprised it even worked. Perhaps AT&T decided to include it on that plan, in order to better compete with T-Mobile's deal.

Anyways, AT&T is really great around here. I'm glad to finally be away from T-Mobile for good, or until AT&T buys them. Which btw, gives me a thought. While I highly doubt this will happen, especially since I believe AT&T will try again to acquire T-Mobile, I think its an interesting thought of AT&T going after Sprint, particularly for the spectrum. It would make AT&T a spectrum giant and potentially unstoppable force. AT&T might even have a better regulatory chance at getting Sprint than T-Mobile. Although, network integration would be a bunch messier.