Nokia moves to purchase Alcatel-Lucent

EvanA

Will be troubling times for existing Alcatel-Lucent markets in the short term but an exciting time for the future as the weakest NV vendor regions get cannibalized by Samsung, Ericson, and Nokia.

Lots of question marks will be have have over the existing deployments from both Nokia and alu territory.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Will be troubling times for existing Alcatel-Lucent markets in the short term but an exciting time for the future as the weakest NV vendor regions get cannibalized by Samsung, Ericson, and Nokia.

Lots of question marks will be have have over the existing deployments from both Nokia and alu territory.

Sent from my Nexus 5

:td:

• Like 1

I am not so sure how I feel about this right now.  I mean Nokia seems to be doing pretty well with its network equipment but I just don't know how much impact this has on LTE deployment especially in markets that use their equipment for B25/B26/B41 LTE.

I don't understand why this is a bad thing. Did another source indicate they were immediately shutting down equipment manufacturing for the Alcatel side of the house? My assumption (while probably incorrect) is that nothing will change in the near term other than AP/AR header information saying Nokia now instead of Alcatel - and the back office updates to make that happen. Did I miss something that indicated Alcatel was going to be effectively shut down?

• Like 1

I am not so sure how I feel about this right now.  I mean Nokia seems to be doing pretty well with its network equipment but I just don't know how much impact this has on LTE deployment especially in markets that use their equipment for B25/B26/B41 LTE.

I don't imagine it would have any impact in the short term. Legacy equipment will remain for as long as they are in their useful lives. I imagine that interoperability between ALU and Nokia equipment will be improved over time.

• Like 1

I don't understand why this is a bad thing. Did another source indicate they were immediately shutting down equipment manufacturing for the Alcatel side of the house? My assumption (while probably incorrect) is that nothing will change in the near term other than AP/AR header information saying Nokia now instead of Alcatel - and the back office updates to make that happen. Did I miss something that indicated Alcatel was going to be effectively shut down?

I seriously doubt that. Also they can't just shutdown equipment, they deployed it and it is run by whomever and ALU simply supports it. Sprint could ALU equipment forever as long as they keep paying for support. It will be ALU equipment regardless of who owns them, its just who you call for support that will change.

• Like 1

Wouldnt it be better for output? 2x the people making the same thing, rather than 2 different pieces.

These mergers rarely come without layoffs, especially when major overlap in products/services exists.

• Like 1

http://online.barrons.com/articles/sprint-may-have-spurred-nokia-alcatel-lucent-deal-1429282538

Speculation of a Nokia-Alcatel-Lucent wireless-asset merger first surfaced about one and a half years ago but receded. We think the latest round of talks was spurred on by Sprint ( S)which wanted to see the wireless assets combine so that it could rely on the new entity as its primary or even sole wireless equipment vendor going forward. 

Interesting speculation

• Like 1

I have heard internal rumors that Sprint (via Masa) was considering a move to just two network vendors from here forward.  For a good year or so.  Dumping Ericsson.  But not feeling good about ALU as the only other partner with Samsung.  But going to two vendors with Samsung and Nokia (via an ALU buyout) may not be so bad.  So Sprint being part of the catalyst for this marriage is plausible when put into context with the rumors I've heard.

• Like 2

I have heard internal rumors that Sprint (via Masa) was considering a move to just two network vendors from here forward. For a good year or so. Dumping Ericsson. But not feeling good about ALU as the only other partner with Samsung. But going to two vendors with Samsung and Nokia (via an ALU buyout) may not be so bad. So Sprint being part of the catalyst for this marriage is plausible when put into context with the rumors I've heard.

The cdma portfolio from Alcatel-Lucent may be all that Nokia needs. Their cdma offerings are far inferior as it currently exists.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The transaction is expected to close in the first half of 2016.

Faster Nokia, faster!

• Like 1

s6gru.com is still open!

Let the sex guru jokes commence...

AJ

• Like 1