LG G4 User Thread (Was: Rumor Thread)

JThorson

I have mentioned this before on other threads, but I know not everyone hangs on my every word... [emoji14]

Rather than going straight to a factory reset, try booting into recovery and clearing your cache. I have often found that this clears up OS update problems, and doesn't require re-installing all of your apps or re-doing your settings. Doesn't always work, but if it does it saves a lot of time, and I have never had it make things worse. And if it doesn't clear things up, you still have the option to do a factory reset.

Before driving an hour to Sprint store and fighting that horrible stretch of road known as US280, I tried everything imaginable. From recovery mode to download mode. Recovery mode wouldn't start. Neither would download mode. Whatever happened was a hardware issue of some kind, and was unable to be simply fixed with button combinations. Even the tech in store said it wasn't something they could fix at all on any of the returned phones they've received.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Before driving an hour to Sprint store and fighting that horrible stretch of road known as US280, I tried everything imaginable. From recovery mode to download mode. Recovery mode wouldn't start. Neither would download mode. Whatever happened was a hardware issue of some kind, and was unable to be simply fixed with button combinations. Even the tech in store said it wasn't something they could fix at all on any of the returned phones they've received.

Sorry to hear about your troubles - maybe you'll get a new phone out of it?

I wasn't aiming my post in your direction particularly. It was meant as a helpful suggestion to others who had battery drain issues and other odd things happening.

Wow, I've seen some hearsay that it was happening on other variants, but this is just proof of their defect being more widespread than just a Sprint problem. After reading some of those things from other people, I feel we're lucky that it was Sprint thing to replace G4s for free. Other people aren't having it so easy.

LG issued a free worldwide replacement campaign for any phone suffering from the problem starting today.

• Like 1

crazy, guess ill be happy it hasnt happened yet on mine..

with that said, the hard reset has appeared to fix my battery issue.. I DL the cpu check and it found right away there was an issue...i didnt even wait a full day to do it...

also the LG back up worked slick

And my Gmail push issue has been resolved as well...

LG issued a free worldwide replacement campaign for any phone suffering from the problem starting today.

This happened to mine several months ago. My son, who was nearly 5 at the time, started playing games on my phone, never properly exiting out of any of them and it suddenly got really hot. Went into this boot loader loop after it cooled down and the Sprint store repair guy examined it and said it looked like the glue holding the cpu in place had melted and shorted it. Got a replacement at no cost.

Anyone getting another upgrade? Already on MM81feb7c911244f02824e74158cf8eaed.jpg

Apparently ZVA is rolling out for bug fixes (according to Sprint). Not too sure what the bugs could be.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife's G4 is having an issue I've never heard of before. The phone is fine on native coverage for voice and text, and on wifi calling it works fine too. But on roaming it acts like it isn't activated. Any call on roaming and you hear this" welcome to Verizon wireless, there was an error ...please reboot...etc " ... Sprint tech couldn't resolve and said its tower issue. My phone does right. No error on roam.. But they say its tower and I'm getting a callback when it's fixed. I am hoping they go ahead and optimize 800 mhz, we never would've found this prob with her phone if the airwave hadn't quit today. Another airave is on the way, will be delivered on Thurs..but it's a problem when she can't make calls unless she's in native / on wifi calling.

I tried with my Note 5 sitting beside her G4. My phone does just fine...Her phone gives error.

Texts on her phone won't send/receive.  I have tried ##scrtn#..probably around 5-6 times now...and they did a network refresh on their end...still nothing.

But, maybe this will cause someone to visit the tower near me and do something to 800 so I get service.. I personally think something is wrong with her phone and it prob needs factory reset...

But I'm not sure what a factory reset will do that ##scrtn# hasn't already done. Other than that, I've never seen this before. Either it works or it don't...I've never seen where phone didn't work on roaming at all, but worked on native just fine.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Edited by jonathanm1978

My wife's G4 is having an issue I've never heard of before. The phone is fine on native coverage for voice and text, and on wifi calling it works fine too. But on roaming it acts like it isn't activated. Any call on roaming and you hear this" welcome to Verizon wireless, there was an error ...please reboot...etc " ... Sprint tech couldn't resolve and said its tower issue. My phone does right. No error on roam.. But they say its tower and I'm getting a callback when it's fixed. I am hoping they go ahead and optimize 800 mhz, we never would've found this prob with her phone if the airwave hadn't quit today. Another airave is on the way, will be delivered on Thurs..but it's a problem when she can't make calls unless she's in native / on wifi calling.

I tried with my Note 5 sitting beside her G4. My phone does just fine...Her phone gives error.

Texts on her phone won't send/receive.  I have tried ##scrtn#..probably around 5-6 times now...and they did a network refresh on their end...still nothing.

But, maybe this will cause someone to visit the tower near me and do something to 800 so I get service.. I personally think something is wrong with her phone and it prob needs factory reset...

But I'm not sure what a factory reset will do that ##scrtn# hasn't already done. Other than that, I've never seen this before. Either it works or it don't...I've never seen where phone didn't work on roaming at all, but worked on native just fine.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Is this at your house? I'm little confused.  Why you need airave if you have WiFi calling enable? Why not just call on the WiFi and not use the tower?  I'm not saying the problem doesn't need fixed. 

Yeah, at my house.

And mainly the reason I don't want to use wifi calling and use the airave is because I can't. When you have 4 devices ...or even 2 devices on wifi calling at the same time and you have a 511kbps upload speed, it tends to make it not worth even hitting the "call" button.

For a single device, Wifi calling is fine, but once you get past that amount, you can't make phone calls if someone is 1)uploading photos/vids to cloud, 2)watching anything streaming, 3)listening to music streaming, 4)considering a google search, 5)having a thought process that involves anything internet-related...

It'd be great if i had another option, but I don't.

Yeah, at my house.

And mainly the reason I don't want to use wifi calling and use the airave is because I can't. When you have 4 devices ...or even 2 devices on wifi calling at the same time and you have a 511kbps upload speed, it tends to make it not worth even hitting the "call" button.

For a single device, Wifi calling is fine, but once you get past that amount, you can't make phone calls if someone is 1)uploading photos/vids to cloud, 2)watching anything streaming, 3)listening to music streaming, 4)considering a google search, 5)having a thought process that involves anything internet-related...

I might be missing something, but the airrave is connected to that same connection that your wifi calling would be as well, no?  Back when I had an airrave I remember it using bandwidth for the 3G connection from my cable modem.  I would think you would have the problem regardless of airrave / wifi calling.

I guess you're missing something..because I've had an airave since the very first one hit the market back in 08..and had Samsung branding on it. And the same sh*tty connection that I've always had. I know what works, and the airave is better than wifi calling. The current airave supports 6 simultaneous connections....3 voice calls and 3 data sessions.

While the airave is designed to handle just traffic from a phone (read:femtocell), wifi calling has to battle with everything else on the network and is subject to any other traffic that might be happening at that time.  While the real-world application differs from the "it's supposed to" application, I have no problem using 2-3 lines at once on the airave, while I have issues using just 1 line on wifi calling and nothing else can happen while that wifi call is in progress. Once the airave gets here, I'll be glad to post some screens from my Nighthawk X8 (R8500) router with wifi calling while in a call, then post a screen of the airave traffic while in a call...

I already know which one eats up the most...but if it'll help anyone understand what I'm saying, so be it.

• Like 1

I guess you're missing something..because I've had an airave since the very first one hit the market back in 08..and had Samsung branding on it. And the same sh*tty connection that I've always had. I know what works, and the airave is better than wifi calling. The current airave supports 6 simultaneous connections....3 voice calls and 3 data sessions.

While the airave is designed to handle just traffic from a phone (read:femtocell), wifi calling has to battle with everything else on the network and is subject to any other traffic that might be happening at that time. While the real-world application differs from the "it's supposed to" application, I have no problem using 2-3 lines at once on the airave, while I have issues using just 1 line on wifi calling and nothing else can happen while that wifi call is in progress. Once the airave gets here, I'll be glad to post some screens from my Nighthawk X8 (R8500) router with wifi calling while in a call, then post a screen of the airave traffic while in a call...

I already know which one eats up the most...but if it'll help anyone understand what I'm saying, so be it.

I might be missing something, but the airrave is connected to that same connection that your wifi calling would be as well, no? Back when I had an airrave I remember it using bandwidth for the 3G connection from my cable modem. I would think you would have the problem regardless of airrave / wifi calling.

Yeah, at my house.

Is this at your house? I'm little confused. Why you need airave if you have WiFi calling enable? Why not just call on the WiFi and not use the tower? I'm not saying the problem doesn't need fixed.

It would be great to see your the real world data comparing Airave to WiFi calling. Some of the difference may also be how your equipment is connected/configured. Sprint normally wants the Airave first, which gives it high priority. Most people also setup any VOIP also with high priority. It is also great to see the amount of bandwidth consumed. It used to be that very high quality voice took 64Kbps. I am uncertain what HD voice takes. The odds are everyone will learn something from your comparison. Looking forward to your info.

• Like 1

While the airave is designed to handle just traffic from a phone (read:femtocell), wifi calling has to battle with everything else on the network and is subject to any other traffic that might be happening at that time.  While the real-world application differs from the "it's supposed to" application, I have no problem using 2-3 lines at once on the airave, while I have issues using just 1 line on wifi calling and nothing else can happen while that wifi call is in progress. Once the airave gets here, I'll be glad to post some screens from my Nighthawk X8 (R8500) router with wifi calling while in a call, then post a screen of the airave traffic while in a call...

It would be great to see your the real world data comparing Airave to WiFi calling.  Some of the difference may also be how your equipment is connected/configured.  Sprint normally wants the Airave first, which gives it high priority.  Most people also setup any VOIP also with high priority.  It is also great to see the amount of bandwidth consumed.  It used to be that very high quality voice took 64Kbps.  I am uncertain what HD voice takes.  The odds are everyone will learn something from you comparison.  Looking forward to your info.

I would also like to see the data.  I believe dkyeager may have hit the nail on the head with the configuration of the airrave as well as the QoS vs. wifi calling.  I guess I just find it interesting that wifi calling is so much more inefficient than an airrave with the connection coming from the same "backbone".

I would also like to see the data.  I believe dkyeager may have hit the nail on the head with the configuration of the airrave as well as the QoS vs. wifi calling.  I guess I just find it interesting that wifi calling is so much more inefficient than an airrave with the connection coming from the same "backbone".

Sprint also offers a wifi router that priorities the WiFi calling over other traffic. This may fix you WiFI calling issue. They offer this for free just like the Airave, if you have signal issues.