LG G4 User Thread (Was: Rumor Thread)

JThorson

FYI

Reports are coming in from G4 owners are receiving Android 6.0 Marshmallow right before midnight.

Happy New Years Eve!

Oh its now New Years Day 2016!!!

FYI

Update:

G4 users in the G4 community on Google+ this morning are reporting an update being pushed OTA.

• Like 1

Got the update early this morning. Everything (LTE included) is working just fine.

And ya noticeable battery drain while using it

If anything, battery is doing much better than before the update. GSam says I have 3 days battery life left. Unplugged at 4am-ish, at 83% now.

• Like 1

Has anyone else had problems cropping pics? Did my usual wipe and catche clearing after the update. When cropping a pig I crop it accept the crop then hit the last check saying im done editing and it dosnt do anything. Its really annoying at this point.

When I select a pic and press the edit symbol and crop from there it says unable to save changes. If I press the settings symbol on top right of a pic and select crop it works.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Yes, that is happening with many LG phones after the most recent Google Maps update. Within the Google Product Forums for Google Maps this is an acknowledged problem but no fix yet. Google is aware of it though.

• Like 1

For anyone experiencing the battery drain issue I dida factory reset and that solved it. Kind of a pain in the rear to do, but thankfully I can make it far longer that 10 hours before the battery dying. As of right now I'm at 45 hours unplugged with 2.5 hours of screen on time.

• Like 1

For anyone having battery life problems on the latest update, download an app called CPU Spy, and let it log a typical day's worth. Check the app after that day, and if you see that your CPU is in Deep Sleep is shorter than being in 384 MHz, then it means your system isn't sleeping normally. I would recommend a factory reset and see if that helps. I know it sounds annoying to do, especially if you don't have root and titanium backup to just restore everything as it was, but ultimately, that's the only thing that worked for me.

My battery life was horrible on Marshmallow. I was also unfortunate that my phone got the LG HW bug and caused my phone to be stuck in a bootloop literally a week ago (I'm stock, no root, no mods whatsoever on this phone). I went into a Sprint store and got them to order a replacement, and I got my replacement this past Wednesday, the 20th. I decided to update to Marshmallow first and then do a factory reset with my new phone before re-installing all my apps. My new phone has been running much better. After charging my phone to 100% last night, My phone was left unplugged at around 1 AM, and I'm at 79% right now at around 5:30 PM. And this is considering I also have horrible signal in the office at work.

So basically, I was forced into a factory reset situation due to the G4 hardware bug, but I saw a huge improvement in battery life. I happened to test the battery drain overnight with my old phone on Marshmallow, and it went from 100% down to 80% between 1 AM and 8:30 AM. On a typical day, CPU Spy showed my phone was in Deep Sleep for only an hour and the rest of the time was on 384 MHz and other CPU states. On the other hand, my new phone was still at 100% when I got up at 8:30 and only went down to 99% a few seconds after I turned on the screen. Currently, my phone is in Deep Sleep 12 and a half hours, and 384 MHz for a little under 3 hours, with the rest of the time doing work in 1440 MHz and 960 MHz. That's how a CPU Spy day should look. If you use the phone a lot, you should see the higher frequencies a lot more, but you should still see Deep Sleep more than 384 MHz. If it's at 384 MHz more than being in Deep Sleep, that means there is a lot of time spent with your phone doing nothing, but something is keeping it from sleeping.

• Like 1

For anyone having battery life problems on the latest update, download an app called CPU Spy, and let it log a typical day's worth. Check the app after that day, and if you see that your CPU is in Deep Sleep is shorter than being in 384 MHz, then it means your system isn't sleeping normally. I would recommend a factory reset and see if that helps. I know it sounds annoying to do, especially if you don't have root and titanium backup to just restore everything as it was, but ultimately, that's the only thing that worked for me.

My battery life was horrible on Marshmallow. I was also unfortunate that my phone got the LG HW bug and caused my phone to be stuck in a bootloop literally a week ago (I'm stock, no root, no mods whatsoever on this phone). I went into a Sprint store and got them to order a replacement, and I got my replacement this past Wednesday, the 20th. I decided to update to Marshmallow first and then do a factory reset with my new phone before re-installing all my apps. My new phone has been running much better. After charging my phone to 100% last night, My phone was left unplugged at around 1 AM, and I'm at 79% right now at around 5:30 PM. And this is considering I also have horrible signal in the office at work.

So basically, I was forced into a factory reset situation due to the G4 hardware bug, but I saw a huge improvement in battery life. I happened to test the battery drain overnight with my old phone on Marshmallow, and it went from 100% down to 80% between 1 AM and 8:30 AM. On a typical day, CPU Spy showed my phone was in Deep Sleep for only an hour and the rest of the time was on 384 MHz and other CPU states. On the other hand, my new phone was still at 100% when I got up at 8:30 and only went down to 99% a few seconds after I turned on the screen. Currently, my phone is in Deep Sleep 12 and a half hours, and 384 MHz for a little under 3 hours, with the rest of the time doing work in 1440 MHz and 960 MHz. That's how a CPU Spy day should look. If you use the phone a lot, you should see the higher frequencies a lot more, but you should still see Deep Sleep more than 384 MHz. If it's at 384 MHz more than being in Deep Sleep, that means there is a lot of time spent with your phone doing nothing, but something is keeping it from sleeping.

I'll check it out barely getting three hours and I was close to 4 1/2 on marshmallow.

Is the g4 scheduled to screw up at the same time as others or something? Literally mine did the same bug, boot loop on Tuesday when I woke up and had to get another. No mods ever, no root, nothing. Great phone up until it did that. Got new phone and initially started set up, then decided I should check for update on software...said none available so I figured hey, it's already on marshmallow...

Wrong...

Two hours into downloading and customizing, it said update was downloaded.

Decided to try it without factory reset after update to marshmallow...

So far, it shows 11h27m on today's charge...with 41% screen on. I'm thinking I need to factory reset...seems it should be better but I'll try the app first.

Doesn't look promising for avoiding factory reset so far, just downloaded app and ran it....attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-01-22-19-54-43.png

Again, use cases may differ, but this is what I'm getting with only light usage so far. I only start using my phone really heavily after 7 or 8 PM pacific time since I get off work.

Screenshot_2016-01-22-17-58-05.png

I reset mine this morning when I saw that 384 was at 14 and deep was at 4. Now I've spent several hours, three or four, reinstalling everything and look at what it shows now.

attachicon.gif Screenshot_2016-01-23-16-53-44.png

several hours, oh my

I reset mine this morning when I saw that 384 was at 14 and deep was at 4. Now I've spent several hours, three or four, reinstalling everything and look at what it shows now.

You know LG does have a backup service right? That includes your downloaded apps.

Sent from my LG G4

You know LG does have a backup service right? That includes your downloaded apps.

Sent from my LG G4

Yes, and I didn't explain the reason my first g4 locked up entirely...I just said that it boot looped...but, I was actually doing some checking of my backups I had made when it shut off by itself and started the boot loop junk. I wanted to do a factory reset so I went into the backup screen and looked at the LG backup I had made. I tapped on something in that menu and it locked up...then never booted again after that except to loop.

I have mentioned this before on other threads, but I know not everyone hangs on my every word...  :P

Rather than going straight to a factory reset, try booting into recovery and clearing your cache. I have often found that this clears up OS update problems, and doesn't require re-installing all of your apps or re-doing your settings. Doesn't always work, but if it does it saves a lot of time, and I have never had it make things worse. And if it doesn't clear things up, you still have the option to do a factory reset.

• Like 1