Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

I don't see how this is realistic.  The effective minimum bill (with miniscule data use) is $21/mo.  Over two years that's only a $504 outlay.  If we assume the Nexus 5 was sold at cost like many sources say it was, that means Google only makes $150 over two years on this customer on the actual service.   The prices may be off a bit on the data at $10/GB, but they're definitely not going to be giving away a device that costs them $350, let alone over $500 to make.  The data prices need to go down the more you use, or something more realistic.

Sure but I bet the average user is probably at like 2-3GB which probably puts it at $40ish which is $960. Even if they are between your estimates and my estimates then Google does alright. They don't have any physical network to support or huge outlays of capital here and if we are honest this doesn't appear to be something Google is super heavily invested in going forward. 

Sure but I bet the average user is probably at like 2-3GB which probably puts it at $40ish which is $960. Even if they are between your estimates and my estimates then Google does alright. They don't have any physical network to support or huge outlays of capital here and if we are honest this doesn't appear to be something Google is super heavily invested in going forward. 

They're not going to offer something which is going to let you effectively get free service in any possible combination where service+phone is less than just buying the unlocked phone, period.  And I have to believe G wants a true contract-free option here, so options are limited.  So I have no problem with them offering the device at full unlocked price (it would be nice if the device itself would be cheaper, but that is orthogonal).  My only problem is the data pricing.  I'd like to see $10 for first GB, and $5 thereafter.  But it's pretty clear this is a "beta" (if that, maybe an "alpha"), so we'll see how it evolves.

I love the business hours at their retail store. Life must be a little slower in Bozeman, MT.

No Sundays, no Mondays and not open until noon Tuesday through Saturday... I could live with that.
  • Like 2

It seems like there is also tethering included in this which is best.

Which should frankly be the industry standard. If you're already paying to use data then it shouldn't matter how you use it. 

• Like 5

I love the business hours at their retail store.  Life must be a little slower in Bozeman, MT. 

No Sundays, no Mondays and not open until noon Tuesday through Saturday... I could live with that.

Hey, I work 24/7.

That is 24 hours a week, 7 months out of the year.

AJ

• Like 6

Seems like the general consensus is, "It doesn't make it cheaper for my usage pattern, therefore sucks."

This is interesting because it's more about cross-carrier / wifi handoff experiment than anything else. The only reason why this is such a big news is because it's Google, if a no-name upstart was behind this, it would be a blip in the tech world and only relevant in the wireless world.

Pretty much from a purely pricing POV, there are better options whether you are a heavy / light user of data / voice in any combination and I'm sure this was intentional. Google isn't going to make any profit from this experiment and pricing it too low would just get the carriers to not sign on.

Edited by coccydynia

Google is doing what son couldn't...

Merge Tmo/sprint... Its a little more expensive but it you believe what sprint is doing and add in Tmo you should theoretically have the best data experience, and be on par with att/Verizon. Which is something sprint can't do yet as they are still building out. Something Tmo can't do yet as they don't have enough in building coverage yet..

What changes would have to be made for iPhone to have this?

Baseband changes? iPhone has wifi calling and wifi to volte.

Only special thing is if SIM card. Doesn't seem like modification is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the biggest change necessary would be for Apple to allow for this. Which is possible but unlikely because there's not really any benefit for Apple.

• Like 1

Is there harm?

Google would have to modify iOS to integrate the network switching and Hangouts, which Apple most likely considers to be "harm".

Google would have to modify iOS to integrate the network switching and Hangouts, which Apple most likely considers to be "harm".

Or apple could just do this itself, get same

Or better terms and make some pocket change. Apple truly doesn't need to

Make ANY money off of this.

And this model is scalable to other countries.

I don't know what some of you are bickering about, but this is a pretty good offering from Google. I've had months where I use 1 GB and months I use 5 GB. Hopefully every provider adopts crediting unused data to it's customers. Also add the fact that your phone will automatically pick the least congested network, and data experience should be better than being in a single network MVNO.

Also, international roaming may not be as good as T-Mobile or Sprint, but its still better than any other MVNO, Verizon, or AT&T. I take comfort in seeing this as a pattern of where the wireless industry is headed as far as international roaming goes.

Or apple could just do this itself, get same

Or better terms and make some pocket change. Apple truly doesn't need to

Make ANY money off of this.

And this model is scalable to other countries.

Think like Apple - what could they possibly gain? They have larger margins elsewhere to chase. There are better ideas to capitalize than a MVNO for Apple. For Google, more users in their ecosystem = more ad revenue. That's not Apple's game...

• Like 2

Did anyone else notice Google will let you buy a nexus 6 for this with their own version of easy pay?

If you need a new Nexus 6 to use with Project Fi, you can buy one direct from us when you sign up. You can select the "Midnight Blue" Nexus 6 in two storage sizes—32GB ($649) and 64GB ($699), plus applicable taxes, with two ways to pay: all at once or over 24 months.

If you choose to pay for your Nexus 6 over 24 months, it is $27.04/month for the 32GB option and $29.12/month for the 64GB option. There's no interest or fees. However, a credit check is required to be eligible for this pricing.

• Like 2