Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

Signed up for an invite, can't wait to try it out. Does anybody know how voice works? Is it VOIP? If so it won't work on 2G networks which the coverage map shows...? If I make a call on Tmobile's network will it hand off to Sprint's if I run out of TMO's coverage and vise versa.. Wouldn't that require 4G and VOIP? Can I make it prefer one network to the other? I have a lot of questions can't wait to learn the "in's and outs" of this.

Is there any market that tmo has significantly better coverage than sprint?

Maybe Houston? Coverage isn't bad considering they use AWS for LTE. I've been meaning to find a way to test out their new 700 MHz LTE but they are barely releasing phones that support that band.

My sense is that this isn't Google trying to be disruptive now so much as Google beta testing the idea of carrier-agnostic, ubiquitous wireless mobility in the United States with a view to the eventual, disruptive step of removing the carrier completely from the customer experience. Sprinkle in some access to Project Loon, and you're getting to the point where you should eventually be able to access the Internet at decent speeds anywhere on the planet without large-scale land-based infrastructure.

The way I see it: when Project Loon becomes ubiquitous, the vision is that you'll be on the Internet everywhere directly via Google most of the time, with Loon and/or WiFi pushing text messages, voice calls, and low-priority background data, with the land-based carriers functioning more as big wireless access points for when you're not near WiFi and either your neighborhood Loon is unavailable or you need a burst of foreground data that they can deliver more efficiently.

• Like 5

Google isn't in it to start a price war, they're trying to show the carriers a better way of operating a network and using resources efficiently. This is a experiment more than anything so If you're a data hungry customer you may want to stay away.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

According to this article, it meets or beats most (minus the Unlimited plans from Sprint and T-Mobile).

http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-unveils-wireless-service-called-project-fi-1429725928

**Image Credit: The Wall Street Journal Online

BT-AB392B_GOOGL_16U_20150422192406.jpg

• Like 5

My sense is that this isn't Google trying to be disruptive now so much as Google beta testing the idea of carrier-agnostic, ubiquitous wireless mobility in the United States with a view to the eventual, disruptive step of removing the carrier completely from the customer experience. Sprinkle in some access to Project Loon, and you're getting to the point where you should eventually be able to access the Internet at decent speeds anywhere on the planet without large-scale land-based infrastructure.

The way I see it: when Project Loon becomes ubiquitous, the vision is that you'll be on the Internet everywhere directly via Google most of the time, with Loon and/or WiFi pushing text messages, voice calls, and low-priority background data, with the land-based carriers functioning more as big wireless access points for when you're not near WiFi and either your neighborhood Loon is unavailable or you need a burst of foreground data that they can deliver more efficiently.

This makes a lot of sense - good post.

If Google plans to expand the use of loons and wifi, perhaps they could really shift things around and separate loon/wifi usage vs. LTE usage.

Signed up for an invite, can't wait to try it out. Does anybody know how voice works? Is it VOIP? If so it won't work on 2G networks which the coverage map shows...? If I make a call on Tmobile's network will it hand off to Sprint's if I run out of TMO's coverage and vise versa.. Wouldn't that require 4G and VOIP?

It's not known what the're doing for certain yet, but I suspect it's probably involves ringback handoffs. (Similar to how Republic Wireless hands off a phone call from VoIP to Sprint 1x). That solves the 2G problem -- it's not as 'nice' as IMS / VoLTE-WiFI / etc, but it works on any network type/carrier.

That's just an assumption on my part though. Can't know for sure until someone actually has it to investigate.

Is there any market that tmo has significantly better coverage than sprint?

I suppose it depends on how you define "market", but there are areas where T-Mobile's native footprint is larger than Sprints. Most of the ones I know of are out West. Parts of Northern California, Eastern Oregon and Idaho (Pendleton, La Grande, Baker City, Twin Falls, Idaho Falls, etc), rural Arizona (near Flagstaff). Parts of rural California / Nevada (Susanville, Patton Village, etc).

In most areas, Sprint's footprint is larger. Sometime's ridiculously larger (Sprint's probably more than double T-Mobile's footprint in Michigan and Wisconsin, as an example.).

But if you want to, you can find a list of small towns or highways where T-Mobile's native coverage is larger than Sprint's.

• Like 1

I just talked to a ISP that we're on the boundary of their DSL territory and they are checking about running service to us. If so I think we'll switch to fi from unlimited my way. I wonder how roaming will work, e911 calls go to any service provider, right?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I don't know if I have ever used 100+ minutes in any single billing cycle since the dawn of cell phones.

Really?

I was looking at my usage and over the years I've gone from 3,000-4,000 minutes to less than 1,000 now.

Really?

I was looking at my usage and over the years I've gone from 3,000-4,000 minutes to less than 1,000 now.

Chatty.  Cathy.

AJ

Google is doing what son couldn't...

Merge Tmo/sprint... Its a little more expensive but it you believe what sprint is doing and add in Tmo you should theoretically have the best data experience, and be on par with att/Verizon. Which is something sprint can't do yet as they are still building out. Something Tmo can't do yet as they don't have enough in building coverage yet..

Is it possible to do CA cross carrier?

According to this article, it meets or beats most (minus the Unlimited plans from Sprint and T-Mobile).

http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-unveils-wireless-service-called-project-fi-1429725928

**Image Credit: The Wall Street Journal Online

BT-AB392B_GOOGL_16U_20150422192406.jpg

Yes, but these comparison are biased and incomplete. For example it doesn't show sprint unlimited plan in the chart which is the same price as google's 3 gig plan. Further it only shows the cost of a single line which along with the low end I conceded that Google was cheaper. But for multilingual accounts, or 10 gigs and up Google is more expensive than even vzw and Att.

Read the first asterisks.

Right, but it is not in the chart. As such the article is misleading and doesn't give an accurate comparison. It also doesn't show how multiple lines compare to google's plans which is also misleading. My point is this plans are not really all that competitive.

Not to turn this into an Android vs iPhone fan boy contest, but with the way Apple has lagged behind android and how they like to offer "Apple Only" services...not going to happen.

You're better off praying for Apple to start a similar service instead of them allowing google into their phones. Sorta like how Apple Pay came along way after Google Wallet was around.

Maybe Houston? Coverage isn't bad considering they use AWS for LTE. I've been meaning to find a way to test out their new 700 MHz LTE but they are barely releasing phones that support that band.

Data definitely is better than Sprint here. Voice about the same

Sent from my SM-N910T

Data definitely is better than Sprint here. Voice about the same

Sent from my SM-N910T

From my experience, speeds are faster the majority of the time with T-Mobile, but my friends on T-Mobile will lose data or switch to 2g more often when indoors (at restaurants, houses, apartments, etc).  None of my friends with T-Mobile have a phone with band 12 though, so if Band 12 can fill in those holes then coverage wouldn't be an issue.

One thing in Texas - driving to Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio, basically a triangle in Texas, and people make this drive quite a bit, Sprint has LTE covered the entire way, while T-Mobile isn't quite there.

• Like 1

Cancel DSL, I'm getting fiber in a couple months. Any who do 911 calls go through any service provider tower?

That's a federal regulation (see http://www.fcc.gov/guides/emergency-communications) so it would have to.

• Like 1

Thanks jaded, fi looks like a great in between for cell service whether or not you have a nexus 6. At least being the nexus 6 is on my short list for my next phone.

If you're not happy with your service you can get a nexus 6 and still be able to switch to most carriers because of the lack of contract.

Also a good way to test out sprint coverage or t mobile coverage in your area.

Edited by gifters