Sprint matching tmobile $100 offer

Rocket87

Just an update on this.... I tried. I tried to convince him to give Sprint a try. My friend is leaving Verizon for T-Mobile, and this is how TMo did it.

TMo got his interest with their 2x for $100 offer w/tethering. Sprint had nothing like at the time. TMo offered the free phone test for 7 days. He liked it required no money up front unlike Sprint's 30 day test trial. He tried SpeedTest at his house and was getting 66Mbps d/l. (I am in a Sprint Spark market and have never received such speed, so I had nothing to show him in return.) He went to another area of Houston and got 90.2 Mbps D/L. Never I have I received such speeds. He mentioned the speed smokes his Verizon phone.

He knows he is not going to use all that speed, but he believes with speeds that high he will have a more consistent experience. In other words, there's a lot of room for speed loss and still have a satisfying experience.

I showed him Sprint's new 2 lines unlimited for $100 deal. He said it's just like TMo's, nothing more. So, he's already warmed up to TMo on performance grounds and ease of trial, and Sprint is offering a package slightly less than what TMo has.

Oh well. Like I said, I tried. I did my part, but Sprint has to do their's.

Hey, he went win the one that worked best for him.

I am still waiting for Marcelo to launch a test drive service.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk

Just an update on this.... I tried. I tried to convince him to give Sprint a try. My friend is leaving Verizon for T-Mobile, and this is how TMo did it. 

TMo got his interest with their 2x for $100 offer w/tethering. Sprint had nothing like at the time. TMo offered the free phone test for 7 days. He liked it required no money up front unlike Sprint's 30 day test trial. He tried SpeedTest at his house and was getting 66Mbps d/l. (I am in a Sprint Spark market and have never received such speed, so I had nothing to show him in return.) He went to another area of Houston and got 90.2 Mbps D/L. Never I have I received such speeds. He mentioned the speed smokes his Verizon phone.

He knows he is not going to use all that speed, but he believes with speeds that high he will have a more consistent experience. In other words, there's a lot of room for speed loss and still have a satisfying experience.

I showed him Sprint's new 2 lines unlimited for $100 deal. He said it's just like TMo's, nothing more. So, he's already warmed up to TMo on performance grounds and ease of trial, and Sprint is offering a package slightly less than what TMo has.

So if I'm understanding your friend's logic, the belief that two peak speeds in certain locations will equate to a more consistent experience? Does he understand that speeds /= consistency?

Hey, he went win the one that worked best for him.

I am still waiting for Marcelo to launch a test drive service.

"What works best for him" is heard not in Sprint's favor too much.

The test drive they have now is basically buy the service and phone, and you have 30 days to return. They need a plan with no money up front. Walk in the door, provision a line, walk out with a phone to test service.

So if I'm understanding your friend's logic, the belief that two peak speeds in certain locations will equate to a more consistent experience? Does he understand that speeds /= consistency?

He spoke in terms of likelihood and not of certainty. And, these were two random locations on different sides of the city, both performing spectacularly. He might have performed other tests and hasn't told me about them.

• Like 1

7 day trial thing is no brainer. Remember sprint's 30day thing that was cancelled when marcelo arrived? Why they got rid of it…?

Yeah...correction to the above post. Sprint canned the 30 day trial. It's now 14 days. Terrible decision, IMO.

And they really REALLY need to offer a test drive service. So many people I know would switch to Sprint if they could try it out first.

Yeah...correction to the above post. Sprint canned the 30 day trial. It's now 14 days. Terrible decision, IMO.

And they really REALLY need to offer a test drive service. So many people I know would switch to Sprint if they could try it out first.

Probably to the contrary.

Sprint's network isn't at the same level as T-mobile at the moment, nationally speaking.

Sprint is currently trying to get two moving parts to collide at the right time,

1. their network buildout to the point where it's respectable
  2. gaining enough subs to offset their costs

I imagine by the end of 2015, Sprint's network will be in a much better place to compete on quality of network. For now all they can try to do is get as many users as they can who will hopefully stick it out till then.

Edited by coccydynia
  • Like 1

"What works best for him" is heard not in Sprint's favor too much.

The test drive they have now is basically buy the service and phone, and you have 30 days to return. They need a plan with no money up front. Walk in the door, provision a line, walk out with a phone to test service.

He spoke in terms of likelihood and not of certainty. And, these were two random locations on different sides of the city, both performing spectacularly. He might have performed other tests and hasn't told me about them.

I would hardly call having a $700 authorization hold on my credit card for a week or more no money up front. I do agree Sprint should have a better trial period. Maybe something like fully refund activation/service cost and waive re stocking fees if returned within a week.

Wow, this new plan is still hidden on the website! It's not on the main landing page anymore, though it was earlier this morning. The only way to get to it is to shop for phones, and then click through to the "add plan" page. You then have two options: "Family Share Pack" or "Unlimited Family". I sure hope Sprint does a better job of promoting this plan than this because you wouldn't even know it was there.

Hmm, If the $100 unlimited plan for 2 lines is legit it is definitely a better deal than my current $100 for 2 lines @ 20 GB + promo data without line charges...

Is it even possible to switch plans after you are under contract already?

http://www.sprint.com/landings/unlimitedfamily

I don't know about this particular plan, but I have changed plans many times in the past all while still under contract.

Hmm, If the $100 unlimited plan for 2 lines is legit it is definitely a better deal than my current $100 for 2 lines @ 20 GB + promo data without line charges...

You should be able to switch, yes. Keep in mind you'll lose (official) tethering support, and if you ever want to add another line, it'll cost more than it would with the Share Pack. However, the Share Pack's line fees will be kicking in about a year from now, so at that point a bill with a third line with this Unlimited Family plan would be $5 less than your Share Pack. Decisions, decisions.

I would hardly call having a $700 authorization hold on my credit card for a week or more no money up front. I do agree Sprint should have a better trial period. Maybe something like fully refund activation/service cost and waive re stocking fees if returned within a week.

A temp hold on a credit card is far different than going through the headache of signing up for service.

• Like 2

You should be able to switch, yes. Keep in mind you'll lose (official) tethering support, and if you ever want to add another line, it'll cost more than it would with the Share Pack. However, the Share Pack's line fees will be kicking in about a year from now, so at that point a bill with a third line with this Unlimited Family plan would be $5 less than your Share Pack. Decisions, decisions.

Hum, good point. However, at the end of the promo period it would actually be:

Family Share for $107 after my 23% discount 

VS

Family Unlimited for $85 forever?

I'm gonna have to call Sprint for this one... I bet they pull some employer discounts shenanigans.

A temp hold on a credit card is far different than going through the headache of signing up for service.

How is it a headache to set up a new line of service? Unless you are going for a promo for porting over a new line, you can ask for a temporary number and have your existing ported over it if you decide to keep it. I also did mention I think they should have a longer grace period, and to waive restocking fees if returned within the trial. With Sprints leasing program, you don't even need to pay any money up front to try out the service.

Hum, good point. However, at the end of the promo period it would actually be:

Family Share for $107 after my 23% discount

VS

Family Unlimited for $85 forever?

I'm gonna have to call Sprint for this one... I bet they pull some employer discounts shenanigans.

Unlike the Share Pack promo, the price of Unlimited Family is good indefinitely. NVP is a good question. T-Mobile doesn't have corporate discounts anymore, and since this plan is a direct answer to the T-Mo promo, it's definitely possible that no discounts apply for the Sprint version either.

Unlike the Share Pack promo, the price of Unlimited Family is good indefinitely. NVP is a good question. T-Mobile doesn't have corporate discounts anymore, and since this plan is a direct answer to the T-Mo promo, it's definitely possible that no discounts apply for the Sprint version either.

Yes but we can all hope can't we  :D Currently on hold but I have to pick someone up from the airport soon so I may not get an answer.

The phone reps have no idea what this plan is btw.

How is it a headache to set up a new line of service? Unless you are going for a promo for porting over a new line, you can ask for a temporary number and have your existing ported over it if you decide to keep it. I also did mention I think they should have a longer grace period, and to waive restocking fees if returned within the trial. With Sprints leasing program, you don't even need to pay any money up front to try out the service.

Have you ever been to a Sprint corp store? Lol. Automatic hour wasted...no matter what you are doing.

• Like 3

Have you ever been to a Sprint corp store? Lol. Automatic hour wasted...no matter what you are doing.

Well I guess the store you go to would play a big role in that. There aren't any corporate stores around here, only preferred retailers. I usually get pretty good service when I go in, there is also the website. Honestly if I was going to try out another network, I would set up the trial online and have the device mailed or store pick up if available.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/unlimitedfamily

Hmm, well considering most/all the new plans are not contracts, I would think switching plans would be easy. :)

• Like 1

Yeah sprintcare on twitter replied pretty quick to the corp discount, and was big no. So framily plan I stay.. For unlimited data / annual upgrade it still cost me 45 a month.. so either way I suppose its still 5$ cheaper.. 

Edit: Actually.. I get a discount on my data charges per line with my discount. so I pay 41$ a line for unlimited. So only way they could match me on this would be to discount the unlimited family to 80.00. So i'll pass. 

Yeah sprintcare on twitter replied pretty quick to the corp discount, and was big no. So framily plan I stay.. For unlimited data / annual upgrade it still cost me 45 a month.. so either way I suppose its still 5$ cheaper..

Edit: Actually.. I get a discount on my data charges per line with my discount. so I pay 41$ a line for unlimited. So only way they could match me on this would be to discount the unlimited family to 80.00. So i'll pass.

Same here. As long as I can continue to maintain the Framily, I am sticking with that. Still the best deal with employer discount on the data. I have had to replace two members that have left this month and have had no issues finding people to join on reddit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

This is tempting, but we're still on a shared unlimited data plan for 5 lines that still has phone subsidies for $240.  So, I figure that $20/mo to subsidize 5 phones is worth it as long as we replace every 21 months to 2 years.

• Like 1