Google Nexus 6 by Motorola Users Thread

WiWavelength

You probably have to give the app system permissions with something like this: 

EDIT: the app I linked installs it in a separate directory. You'd have to set the permissions with a terminal if you want it in that priv-app directory.

Actually, it looks like you can set the APK's permissions with ES file manager under "properties" after you move it to /priv-app.

EDIT: the app I linked installs it in a separate directory. You'd have to set the permissions with a terminal if you want it in that priv-app directory.

Actually, it looks like you can set the APK's permissions with ES file manager under "properties" after you move it to /priv-app.

Its telling me it cant mount system partition as read/write. Does this app support 5.x+

• Like 1

I got the file in the directory with root explorer, and it looks like all permissions are set.

Permissions are set: RWXRWX

• Like 1

Nothing happens in the dialer, maybe I can try sideloading the ODEX file as well..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcil60yefk07ca7/HiddenMenu.odex?dl=0

Are you currently using a Sprint SIM?  If not, most other providers' SIMs seem to lock out dialer codes.

Regardless, you can skip the dialer code and use a shortcut maker to create an Activity directly to the Debug menu, for example.  I know that I previously posted instructions somewhere here on S4GRU.

AJ

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcil60yefk07ca7/HiddenMenu.odex?dl=0

Are you currently using a Sprint SIM? If not, most other providers' SIMs seem to lock out dialer codes.

Regardless, you can skip the dialer code and use a shortcut maker to create an Activity directly to the Debug menu, for example. I know that I previously posted instructions somewhere here on S4GRU.

AJ

I am on a sprint sim, I will give this a go and look around for the shortcut instructions.

I agree that the battery life is great on the N6. And I find that the camera is much better than I expected it to be. It gets as good of a signal as my GS4. I'm amazed to be getting 5+ hours of sot.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As an update to the SMS issues, I've now repeatedly verified that at least in the San Francisco market, Sprint B41 has delayed and duplicate SMS just like B25 and B26. Clear B41 does not have these issues. 

My current theory is that sending an SMS for some reason isn't triggering the LTE connection to become active. If LTE is already active then the text usually goes through immediately, regardless of the band. However if the connection is idle (as is usually the case on wifi), then the SMS hangs and may duplicate. If the LTE connection happens to be active when Android attempts to send it again, then it goes through. Otherwise it is delayed for another cycle, which appears to have progressively longer wait times between attempts. It seems like it could be an issue with the Nexus 6's modem and perhaps a power saving feature on Samsung equipment?

Since Sprint still doesn't seem to acknowledge that this is a known issue with the Nexus 6, does anyone know the best way to escalate it? Or at least verify that they are taking it seriously? I'm not sure if this is something Sprint can fix on their end, or if Motorola needs to acknowledge it and patch the modem in an OTA? 

As an update to the SMS issues, I've now repeatedly verified that at least in the San Francisco market, Sprint B41 has delayed and duplicate SMS just like B25 and B26. Clear B41 does not have these issues. 

My current theory is that sending an SMS for some reason isn't triggering the LTE connection to become active. If LTE is already active then the text usually goes through immediately, regardless of the band. However if the connection is idle (as is usually the case on wifi), then the SMS hangs and may duplicate. If the LTE connection happens to be active when Android attempts to send it again, then it goes through. Otherwise it is delayed for another cycle, which appears to have progressively longer wait times between attempts. It seems like it could be an issue with the Nexus 6's modem and perhaps a power saving feature on Samsung equipment?

Since Sprint still doesn't seem to acknowledge that this is a known issue with the Nexus 6, does anyone know the best way to escalate it? Or at least verify that they are taking it seriously? I'm not sure if this is something Sprint can fix on their end, or if Motorola needs to acknowledge it and patch the modem in an OTA? 

will be interesting to see if the 5.1 radio update fixes this which is rumored to be soon...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2014/12/17/android-lollipop-5-1-release/

So I've been having the SMS duplicate or fail to send issue... It only has happened (that ive noticed) in fort Wayne and Richmond, IN. It didn't happen during the three weeks I spent in Frankfort, KY. I wonder if part of it is related to market hardware or software configurations.

• Like 1

So I've been having the SMS duplicate or fail to send issue... It only has happened (that ive noticed) in fort Wayne and Richmond, IN. It didn't happen during the three weeks I spent in Frankfort, KY. I wonder if part of it is related to market hardware or software configurations.

i think it's a N6 issue.  if you set the radio to 3G only and do an airplane cycle they seem to work everytime.  when you go back to LTE/CDMA and you are on LTE it seems like it screws up more than works...

i think it's a N6 issue. if you set the radio to 3G only and do an airplane cycle they seem to work everytime. when you go back to LTE/CDMA and you are on LTE it seems like it screws up more than works...

I still believe it's an issue that is a mix between the Nexus 6 radio and Samsung equipment (either hardware or configuration), since it doesn't happen when connected to Clear B41.

The previous post says it worked fine in Frankfort, KY on LTE. Does anyone know if that's a Samsung market? What about Fort Wayne, Indiana?

• Like 2

I still believe it's an issue that is a mix between the Nexus 6 radio and Samsung equipment (either hardware or configuration), since it doesn't happen when connected to Clear B41.

The previous post says it worked fine in Frankfort, KY on LTE. Does anyone know if that's a Samsung market? What about Fort Wayne, Indiana?

My thought was Samsung equip. Fort Wayne and Richmond are Samsung. I think Frankfort is ericson.

• Like 1

Frankfort is Ericsson.

29xvoti.jpg

So at least from my experience it is definitely connected to the hardware in the market. Issues with Samsung... No issues with ericcson.

I'm pretty sure I had SMS issues during a layover in Washington DC, which is ALU territory it seems. But I was only there for an hour, it was pretty busy, and I only sent a couple texts, so I can't really make a definitive conclusion. Can anyone in ALU territory chime in?

If it is indeed Samsung equipment related, does it fall on Sprint to fix this or Motorola?

Are these all issues from the Sprint version or from both versions? I've had zero issues and mine is from google play.

Sent from my Nexus 6

They should identical. For the record though, I purchased mine directly from Motorola.

I'm in SoCal (Alcatel-Lucent market) and I have the duplication problem. Bought my N6 from Sprint.

Ok, so it may be an issue in both Samsung and ALU markets. Can anyone else in an Ericsson market confirm that they do or do not have this issue?

Ok, so it may be an issue in both Samsung and ALU markets. Can anyone else in an Ericsson market confirm that they do or do not have this issue?

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this. If you are on LTE and you send a sms and it immediately says "now" for the time stamp then it was sent then it's fine. However, if you send a sms and it says "sending" for longer than it should then it will duplicate to the person you're sending it to.

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this. If you are on LTE and you send a sms and it immediately says "now" for the time stamp then it was sent then it's fine. However, if you send a sms and it says "sending" for longer than it should then it will duplicate to the person you're sending it to.

Yeah I mentioned it several posts back. It doesn't always duplicate when it gets stuck like this. At least in Samsung markets, it seems to only duplicate if it changes towers or bands while stuck sending.

I've been texting to my Google Voice number to do all my testing. If you have another number you can use you should see if ALU always duplicates or if it's only when there is a handoff.

For whatever it is worth, someone at Sprint proactively sent me a message from their forums asking for details about the issue.    It sounds like they have absolutely no idea yet what is causing the problem but are genuinely trying to narrow it down.